Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #1821
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I took practice swings out of my game a few years ago. Not only did my scores improve, it is much quicker. I pick my spot, line up my feet, align myself with the ball (front, middle or back as appropriate in the circumstances), take a breath and then just hit the damned ball. No worries about a bad practice swing.
I agree, the more I think about it, the worse it gets. I take the thinking out, just line it up and hit the shot. I see guys reflect over the ball for 30 seconds to a minute and it drives me crazy to watch. We have one guy in our group we call the "human rain delay" because of how long he takes. All in fun of course, but the round is more fun when we keep moving.

Tee em high and let em fly,

VW
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #1822
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I took practice swings out of my game a few years ago. Not only did my scores improve, it is much quicker. I pick my spot, line up my feet, align myself with the ball (front, middle or back as appropriate in the circumstances), take a breath and then just hit the damned ball. No worries about a bad practice swing.
I take one loose caddie swing about half the time, or no practice swing. However, probably just a mental habit, but sweeping my putter back and forth a couple of times seems to make me feel more prepared to putt. Guess I should try to stop that, though I can usually do it while someone else putts. I think I'm pretty efficient around the greens, but I could get better.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #1823

I only take practice swings when the ball is above or below my feet as I need to confirm how much to adjust my stance or grip.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:00 PM   #1824
Give me a forum ...

Pin in, pin out. Another attempt to study. FWIW

https://youtu.be/v9ZXh7g11C8

Old 01-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #1825

There is no standard for flagstick size that I'm aware of so it may be different at your course but at the course I play regularly the flagsticks used on the practice putting green are the same diameter of the flagsticks used on the course greens. Not a scientific study but after a few 1000 putts on the practice green over the years I would have to say that very few didn't go in because of the flag and it's likely the flag resulted in more going in (or stopping closer to the hole) then would have without a flag.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:26 PM   #1826

I know it's not Thursday, but too bad...I played my first 18 hole round today in 5 months, following my complete rupture of my right achilles tendon August 31. I am wintering in Florida, got here Jan 1, and started my golf rehab on Jan 2, hitting short irons, day by day moving up...until today...started bogey, double bogey, and played the next 16 holes in 1-under for a smooth 74...Definitely did not see that one coming.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 PM   #1827

I golf with one of my bandmates...tonight he said "the switch is official", referring to his decision to switch from right handed to left handed.

He's never been comfortable with his swing and has some horrible rounds. In fall he said that he thought he was a natural lefty and was going to take some winter lessons to find out. He's golfed right his entire life (he's 52), but shoots hockey left...although shooting hockey left is actually the norm for right handers. He's had 3 lessons so far and says he's already hitting it better than when he was a righty, and the instructor agrees.

That's the first time I've heard of someone changing their swing that late in life. I hope he does well.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #1828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
That's the first time I've heard of someone changing their swing that late in life. I hope he does well.
I also never heard of anyone making the switch that late, it does sound desperate. Did see a list one time of PGA Tour players who were natural lefties that played right handed and there were some well known and very successful golfers, Byron Nelson, Johnny Miller, Greg Norman, and quite a few others.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #1829
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just speculating but he must be ambidextrous? I wouldn’t even be able to make contact with the ball swinging left handed, even with a half swing it would be difficult much less a full swing. Just punching out left handed takes me several practice swings when needed. But we all know how challenging golf is, so I hope it works out for your bandmate.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #1830
Give me a forum ...

I think the fact that he plays hockey from the left will be a huge help... similar eye-hand coordination skills. In fact, IME hockey players are the rare breed who are commonly pretty good golfers... I know many other gifted athletes from baseball, football, basketball, tennis, racquetball, soccer and other sports that take up golf and are totally humbled by golf... by not so much with hockey players.

If you have the same sized hand perhaps you can inherit some nice golf gloves from him... or does he have nice right handed golf clubs?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #1831

Quote:
I think the fact that he plays hockey from the left will be a huge help... similar eye-hand coordination skills. In fact, IME hockey players are the rare breed who are commonly pretty good golfers... I know many other gifted athletes from baseball, football, basketball, tennis, racquetball, soccer and other sports that take up golf and are totally humbled by golf... by not so much with hockey players.
The eye/hand coordination definitely translates. A lot of hockey playing friends of mine are very good golfers, and even the ones that suck at golf can at times hit the ball a mile.

I remember a few years ago golfing with a friend who played junior hockey. He's a lefty who shoots hockey right (that's normal) and golfs left. He was having a bad round and after hitting 2 drives OB on the back 9 he borrowed my right handed driver and striped it 250 down the middle
Old 01-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #1832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Just speculating but he must be ambidextrous? I wouldn’t even be able to make contact with the ball swinging left handed, even with a half swing it would be difficult much less a full swing. Just punching out left handed takes me several practice swings when needed. But we all know how challenging golf is, so I hope it works out for your bandmate.
Yeah...if I have to punch out left handed it's very awkward

I think most lefties 50 or older had no choice but to develop some ambidextrous skills...they grew up at an age where being left handed was discouraged and products for lefties were hard to find.

He started golf at a young age and the only clubs he could find were right handed so he just used them.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #1833
Give me a forum ...

I'm just surprised that anyone that played hockey at a high level, especially junior hockey, would even attempt to goll differently from how they played hockey given that the had eye coordination is such an easy translation... if you can hit a moving puck with a hockey stick while moving on ice skates on ice then it would seem to me a cakewalk to hit a stationary golf ball with a golf club while standing in golf shoes on terra firma.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-29-2019, 07:46 AM   #1834

Got out yesterday and played one of the local munis that is half ways dried out. Shot an 82 which is pretty decent for me in Jan. Going out with low expectations made the difference, started off with a double bogey, bogey, birdie and mostly pars and bogeys the rest of the round. Temp. actually hit 61 degrees and the sun was shining for a change.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #1835

The link below is to an article about DeChambeau's pre-shot routine, who knew air density was such critical factor.

https://sports.yahoo.com/watch-decha...162622053.html
Old 01-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #1836
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I also never heard of anyone making the switch that late, it does sound desperate. Did see a list one time of PGA Tour players who were natural lefties that played right handed and there were some well known and very successful golfers, Byron Nelson, Johnny Miller, Greg Norman, and quite a few others.
Shawn Clement, a famous youtube golf instructor plays to scratch or better both ways.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:32 PM   #1837

Quote:
I golf with one of my bandmates...tonight he said "the switch is official", referring to his decision to switch from right handed to left handed.

He's never been comfortable with his swing and has some horrible rounds. In fall he said that he thought he was a natural lefty and was going to take some winter lessons to find out. He's golfed right his entire life (he's 52), but shoots hockey left...although shooting hockey left is actually the norm for right handers. He's had 3 lessons so far and says he's already hitting it better than when he was a righty, and the instructor agrees.

Had a friend who was about a 3 handicap when he was about 50, bet several guys in his regular group that he could switch to left handed and get a single digit handicap the next season (April-October in Montana). He got to 7 handicap and collected big time.

But he is one of the most determined/disciplined people that I've ever known, and a very good athlete at many sports in his youth. I'd have never bet against him.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #1838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Pin in, pin out. Another attempt to study. FWIW

https://youtu.be/v9ZXh7g11C8
Seems pretty definitive leaving it in is better.

About the only time I take it out is when the wind is blowing at me, or the flagstick is shaking violently in our 15+ mph trade winds.

But if I've got a short putt, and others have already taken it out, I'm not going to slow up play asking for it to be put back in, except, maybe, something like the Club Championship.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:05 PM   #1839
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Seems pretty definitive leaving it in is better.

About the only time I take it out is when the wind is blowing at me, or the flagstick is shaking violently in our 15+ mph trade winds.

But if I've got a short putt, and others have already taken it out, I'm not going to slow up play asking for it to be put back in, except, maybe, something like the Club Championship.
Where I originally planned to pull the pin as always, I’ve since decided after several studies, thinking it over based on past experience (mostly practice greens), and seeing some touring pros leaving it it - I’m going to leave it in as much as possible and see what happens. But like you, when someone else pulls it (as I assume will happen some), I won’t ask to put it back to putt.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #1840
Give me a forum ...

Most heartwarming golf video I’ve seen in a long time. Great ending/score too.

Woodland also supports Fallen Veterans Families/Folds of Honor - so he’s shot way up on my favorite player list.

https://youtu.be/rYSjFvCNP7Q

Closed Thread