Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #1861
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think you did the right thing... life is too short and it was up to 2017 to call himself.

Just wondering though... life-clean and place through green includes areas outside of the fairway or rough? I thought it had to be a mown area... not sure if "weeds" count.

Quote:
Then finds his original in the weeds. It's not a hazard, so he lift-clean-place within a scorecard, and hacks it out.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 10:44 PM   #1862
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think you did the right thing... life is too short and it was up to 2017 to call himself.

Just wondering though... life-clean and place through green includes areas outside of the fairway or rough? I thought it had to be a mown area... not sure if "weeds" count.
It was lift-clean-place in what is now defined as the "general area". This includes all areas except for four exceptions, tee, green, bunkers and penalty areas. Weeds, or the plants that grow where not mown, aren't any of those four, and not OB, so still on the course.

You're right, The old rule, I think, used to be closely mown (fairways). I asked that very question on the 1st tee to our pro (tournament Committee).

It would have been brutal to try to hit out of the rough, unmown and wet, if the ball settled down.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #1863
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW and I are considering a drive to St. George, UT for a golf trip. Any recommendations for courses or places to stay? La Quinta Inn seems like a reasonably priced place, with a package including Sand Hollow, Coral Canyon and Sunbrook. Thanks in advance.
Golf Talk Tuesdays
Old 02-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #1864

Golf Talk Tuesdays

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
My DW and I are considering a drive to St. George, UT for a golf trip. Any recommendations for courses or places to stay? La Quinta Inn seems like a reasonably priced place, with a package including Sand Hollow, Coral Canyon and Sunbrook. Thanks in advance.

Cool! Im going with a group in May; will be my second time there. I like these courses:

- Sand Hollow

- Sky Mountain

- Sunbrook

- Ledges

- Wolf Creek (Mesquite, NV)

Were doing a package through The Ledges Resort, where they arrange it all & give discounts. PM me if you want the contact info.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #1865
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I bet you could get out on some private courses while you are there....
Old 02-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #1866

So, it's been a good couple days. Won some lottery money over the weekend:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...day-96505.html

And, I walked into Costco today and they had the Kirkland 3 piece golf balls right in the front door. They were $23.00 limit two. Two trips later, I have four packages (which is 8 dozen) in my car. Smiling all the way home. I'm not sure if they are as good as ProV's, but if they're even close for a quarter of the money, I'm going to be very happy. DW didn't understand my excitement. I helped her understand by telling her that "you know, every time I come here and say I'm gonna take a quick check for golf balls"? Well, these are what I've been looking for. On the way out, the guy checking the receipt says - those are the good ones, with a big smile on his face. Good indeed.

BTW, they look to be online at the moment if you're interested.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #1867
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I'm not sure if they are as good as ProV's, but if they're even close for a quarter of the money, I'm going to be very happy.
ProVs are about $50/dz, not $100
Old 02-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #1868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
ProVs are about $50/dz, not $100
Right. I got 2 dozen for $23.99. $12 per dozen versus $50 per dozen is about a quarter of the cost. Sorry, I didn't make it clear. They come in a 2 dozen package.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #1869
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Right. I got 2 dozen for $23.99. $12 per dozen versus $50 per dozen is about a quarter of the cost. Sorry, I didn't make it clear. They come in a 2 dozen package.
oh geez that's a smoking deal!
Old 02-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #1870

They are not the original balls that were said to compare with the ProV's. Those were four piece balls, but doing some research, these three piece balls seem to get good reviews. Good thing about Costco is that if I don't like them, I can return them. I'm a hacker, so as long as they're as good as the Calloway Superhot's that Costco sells (hopefully better), still hard to go wrong for a buck a ball.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #1871

I've tried the Kirkland ball, not as good as the ProV1 but definitely worth the money. They seem to be always in stock at the Costco's I've been to in AZ. Another good golf value at Costco is the 4-pack of Callaway leather golf gloves, very good glove, soft and last a long time.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #1872

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Another good golf value at Costco is the 4-pack of Callaway leather golf gloves, very good glove, soft and last a long time.
Good to know. I've wondered about them. I like a new glove more often than my wallet likes.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #1873
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I've tried the Kirkland ball, not as good as the ProV1 but definitely worth the money. They seem to be always in stock at the Costco's I've been to in AZ. Another good golf value at Costco is the 4-pack of Callaway leather golf gloves, very good glove, soft and last a long time.
I got 24 about a month ago.... the Kirkland was the ball that I got my whole in one with.... overall I'm happy with them.... good value.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #1874
Recycles dryer sheets

The stars must have been aligned yesterday. I tied my best round. If it had not been for the triple bogie on hole number eight I would have finally broken 80. For whatever reason it was a good day, 43 front, 37 back (3 bogies, 2 birdies).

White tees, 5911 yds at Crane Creek, Boise.

Back to reality today.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #1875
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The stars must have been aligned yesterday. I tied my best round. If it had not been for the triple bogie on hole number eight I would have finally broken 80. For whatever reason it was a good day, 43 front, 37 back (3 bogies, 2 birdies).

Back to reality today.
Good job....especially in cool weather.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #1876
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Back to reality today.
good job Jim! (turn it in)

8 was tough yesterday, 405 into the wind from the blue tees. I killed a drive down to the 150 plate but then made a bogey....
Old 03-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #1877
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Back to reality today.
Well done.

I hope you do better than a friend who is a mid-teens handicap.... a couple weeks ago he shot a 79 and was quite happy... went out a couple days later and when he got back I asked him how it went... he said he inversed the numbers... had a 97.... that's golf for you.... even the pros can go out and have 67 one day and 76 the next.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #1878
Recycles dryer sheets

I pretty much did as your friend. Thought I knew how to golf. Wrong. 40 for the front. Yea! 51 for the back. Boo. Lost multiple balls. It was a strange day. I can attribute a little to fatigue, but basically played like poo.

There's alway tomorrow.

jc
Old 03-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #1879
Give me a forum ...

And then to have 4 good days in a row under unbelievable pressure! Think about that.... those guys are good.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #1880

I just saw this link on the topic about scooters. It's called the Golfboard. They're expensive but look like a lot of fun. I prefer walking but would consider renting one at least once to try it out if they were at any of the courses I play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=B9VuKK5sbQo
Closed Thread