Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Perhaps that fact that your ball was on a tee confused them.
last night a buddy of mine had a huge "ft worth" ball on 18 - blocked it and it hit a tree and bounced right in front of the sr (white) tees (we have black, blue, white, green and brown)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #522
Give me a forum ...

A friend of mine frequently refers to a "son-in-law shot".... a shot that is not what you hoped for, but it'll have to do.

I had one of those today on our par 5 16th hole. I scorched the best drive I have ever had on that hole and was hitting a 5-wood from 300 yards or so. From where I am it is slightly uphill and a ditch about 20-40 yards in front of me and I need about 3' of elevation to clear the top of the ditch after which there is level fairway.

I skull the 5-wood, clear the top of the ditch by about a foot and the ball takes off as a worm-burner and we found it just short of the 150 yard marker. I had a hard time stopping laughing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 07-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #523
Give me a forum ...

flirting with disaster!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:08 PM   #524
Recycles dryer sheets

We were walking 9 holes today and things got a little backed up in front of us. The group behind us was in carts so they caught us. To my amazement they had a boom box playing. My friend said boom boxes on the course are becoming more frequent. I couldn't believe it. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #525
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
We were walking 9 holes today and things got a little backed up in front of us. The group behind us was in carts so they caught us. To my amazement they had a boom box playing. My friend said boom boxes on the course are becoming more frequent. I couldn't believe it. Has anyone else experienced this?
It's becoming all too common. In Montana, the pro shop came out to tell our group ( not my cart) they'd received a complaint, and the club rules specifically forbid music except via earbuds.

I don't like it. I was playing a team match play event in Hawaii. Our opponents were playing loud, country music. On the second tee, I backed off and asked them to turn it off while I was hitting. A couple holes later, which we'd won, my partner complimented me for getting in their heads by getting rid of their music. Honestly, I wasn't playing gamesmanship, it just bothered me. But we won the match. Lol.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:44 PM   #526
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Several times people i have played with connect their phone app with a little wireless speaker and play... Havent seen a boom box... It really didnt annoy me that much, but noise or even people talking do not bother me when I swing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #527
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess it's not the noise that bothers me, rather it just seems so incongruous with the whole quiet/peacefulness I'm used to. Then again, I never did really understand the need for absolute quiet during the tennis serve and golf swing.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #528
Give me a forum ...

Yes, that is it... It doesnt bother me, it just seems so odd... Golf has always been about soaking up the outdoors and conversation....not music.... But most of the time I play with men 20 to 40 years older than me and they would have no clue or interest in streaming music...They barely can hear now in the quiet without music playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #529
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
well, not really a boom box per se, but most of us either have sounds wired in our carts or one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Sou...ds=oontz+angle

illegal in tournament play but yes, we rock them for casual rounds

what's golf without a little zz top?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #530
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
incongruous

when I get off w*rk that's exactly what I'm looking for, except for my golf shots lol
Old 07-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #531
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
It's becoming all too common. In Montana, the pro shop came out to tell our group ( not my cart) they'd received a complaint, and the club rules specifically forbid music except via earbuds.

I don't like it. I was playing a team match play event in Hawaii. Our opponents were playing loud, country music. On the second tee, I backed off and asked them to turn it off while I was hitting. A couple holes later, which we'd won, my partner complimented me for getting in their heads by getting rid of their music. Honestly, I wasn't playing gamesmanship, it just bothered me. But we won the match. Lol.
it's illegal in tournament play - next time call a penalty on them
Old 07-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #532
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, new to me. I'm not that into music so I probably would not be keen on it.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #533
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
No, new to me. I'm not that into music so I probably would not be keen on it.
don't worry, I'll leave mine at home when I visit
Old 07-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #534

I've only seen or heard the small cellphone portable speaker combination and you have to be standing close to the cart to hear it so I never considered it a bother.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #535
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I've only seen or heard the small cellphone portable speaker combination and you have to be standing close to the cart to hear it so I never considered it a bother.
you can definitely hear my bluetooth speaker if I crank it up
Old 07-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #536

Foxtail North

Played this course for the first time Tuesday & really had a great time! It's in Sonoma county, about 45 mins north of SF. It's not particularly long but, takes a fair amount of thought to get around without getting into trouble-especially the first time; greens are quicker than I'm used to as well.

I scored well (net 64) so, OF COURSE, I now love this course. Seriously though, it's a nice layout & definitely worth a return trip. Always looking for a new course within reasonable driving distance.
What Fairway Metal Do You Use?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #537

What Fairway Metal Do You Use?

I'm at the point that I've almost given up on my 3-Metal & need some help.

I have a TaylorMade R11, which has an adjustable face orientation (open-neutral-closed) & loft (13-15 degrees). I bought it several years ago because I don't hit a 3-Metal that far & thought the 13-degree loft (versus the standard 15-degree loft) would give me some more distance. It seemed to but, now it just seems to slice no matter what I do with the adjustments.

I'm sure it's the "Indian" instead of the "Arrow" but, I'm wondering if I should go to another style or brand of fairway metal. The R11 has a fairly shallow face so, perhaps I'd do better with something a bit deeper. I'm thinking this because my next club down is a Cleveland Launcher 2 iron hybrid, which I absolutely love, and it's got a much deeper face; altogether a different design in the hybrid than fairway metals (3, 5, etc.).

So, what do you use?

Any suggestions welcome.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #538
Give me a forum ...

I just got a new nickent 1 hybrid. I'll let you know after I play tomorrow, I dont like using chicken sticks.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #539

If you're looking for a deeper faced fairway wood Callaway has them. IMO all the new drivers and fairway woods are too long for the average golfer. Your average PGA tour pro plays with a shorter shaft in their drivers than what the new drivers come with. All of the drivers and fairways woods I play with I've cut at least 1" off the grip end, I find it easier to control with little loss in distance. Using a shaft that is too stiff for you could also cause you to lose it right.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:28 AM   #540
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. My BIL recently bought new clubs and had 1/2" cut off from each club (he's about 5' 6").

Closed Thread