Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still playing 3X a week down here in SE AZ. Usually mid 40's when we start, low 60's when we finish. Don't mind the 40's at all as long as the suns out and no wind which is typical for this time of year.

Finally happened. Did a "Tiger Woods", and withdrew from our Club Championship (which I won 3 short years ago).

My buldging disc bulged out after Thanksgiving. Took almost 2 months off, doing PT quite rigorously, started playing two weeks ago. Practiced short game a decent amount. Only played 3 times, but was closer to shooting in 90's than 70's, and after my 88 today (Thursday), decided to withdraw from the two day tournament scheduled for this weekend.

I'm not sure if my badness is just due to not playing, or physically not being able to play. But it's quite depressing. I've always been enjoyed playing competitively. I knew a day would come when I could no longer play as well as I used to, and I guess making it to 62 with a 3 handicap, which was as low as I ever was, is pretty good.

Maybe I'll be back. But right now I don't really give a crap whether I do or not.

I wish I just felt like the guy in the commercial that throws a tantrum, saying how much he hates the game, and then when everyone is in the car, he says, same time tomorrow? But I feel more like taking up any other expensive, time consuming, waste of time than returning to golf.

were you hitting bad shots or did you just explode on a few holes?

maybe take a lesson?

Sorry to hear about the demise of your golf game. It's supposed to be 75 degrees out today--in Illinois in February! I already told my secretary and my family to not expect to see me today! The greens are calling!

Finally happened. Did a "Tiger Woods", and withdrew from our Club Championship (which I won 3 short years ago).

My buldging disc bulged out after Thanksgiving. Took almost 2 months off, doing PT quite rigorously, started playing two weeks ago. Practiced short game a decent amount. Only played 3 times, but was closer to shooting in 90's than 70's, and after my 88 today (Thursday), decided to withdraw from the two day tournament scheduled for this weekend.

I'm not sure if my badness is just due to not playing, or physically not being able to play. But it's quite depressing. I've always been enjoyed playing competitively. I knew a day would come when I could no longer play as well as I used to, and I guess making it to 62 with a 3 handicap, which was as low as I ever was, is pretty good.

Maybe I'll be back. But right now I don't really give a crap whether I do or not.

I wish I just felt like the guy in the commercial that throws a tantrum, saying how much he hates the game, and then when everyone is in the car, he says, same time tomorrow? But I feel more like taking up any other expensive, time consuming, waste of time than returning to golf.

G-

Sorry to hear about the spate of bad golf. I can attest that your swing was still pretty sweet when we played together in November. I don't think a person's game just completely disappears like that, except for traumatic injury so, I'd guess it's just a matter of recovery time and practice to get back to (or close to) your old form. You may not win your club championship again but, hey...there's already one of those plaques on your locker. So, in the immortal words of Carl Spackler...'you got that going for ya.'

Having a bad day once in awhile is all part of golf, I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure just coming back from a back injury didn't help, sounds to me like you just need a few more rounds to get it back. Now for Tiger Woods and his back issues, my opinion is he's finished and I wouldn't be surprised if he stops playing competitively after the latest set back.

It's not Tuesday, but I just had to share. Got my 2017 Masters tickets in the mail today! :dance: Can almost taste those pimiento cheese sandwiches already. :)

They are practice round tickets that I won in the ticket lottery, if anyone's wondering. It'll be nice to be able to snap a few photos while walking around the grounds this time, to commemorate the occasion.

Cool. I didn't get any tickets this year (first year that I tried)... but I'll keep trying until I get them.

It's not Tuesday, but I just had to share. Got my 2017 Masters tickets in the mail today! :dance: Can almost taste those pimiento cheese sandwiches already. :)

They are practice round tickets that I won in the ticket lottery, if anyone's wondering. It'll be nice to be able to snap a few photos while walking around the grounds this time, to commemorate the occasion.

I got mine yesterday, but going to sell them. My group fell and I'm not motivated enough to find others to join me. I've been 7 or 8 times so not disappointed in missing out this year. If you are a golfer, it's a course you want to see at least once. Awesome place.

Congrats! :dance:

Hole In One!!!!! Playing with some friends. 8. iron from 126 yards. How sweet it is!

Double Congrats! :dance::dance:

I think I'd prefer to get practice round tickets for the reason you mention, more relaxed, cameras OK.

Cool. I didn't get any tickets this year (first year that I tried)... but I'll keep trying until I get them.

Hope you have better luck than I've had, I've been putting my name in the ticket lottery since 2011 and have come up with a goose egg every year.

Hole In One!!!!! Playing with some friends. 8. iron from 126 yards. How sweet it is!

Tell us more! How much was the bar bill? I have always said that I would be glad to pay the bar bill for the thrill of getting a hole in one.

Closest that I have come is about 4" on a long 190 yd par 3... we thought it was going in but it stopped just off to the side... nothing wrong with tap in birdies though!

The bar bill was only $6.50! the only people in the clubhouse were the four of us and I get an employee discount because I'm a ranger at that course.

As we drove up to the ninth tee, I asked the guy I was riding with and playing against, "If I get a hole in one, do I beat you for this nine?" He said, "It all depends on what I do." He proceeded to hit his ball ten feet from the hole. I thought to myself, "Oh, great, now I have to get inside his ball." I hit it clean, it bounced once and "thunk". One of the guys yelled, Where did it go?" I yelled, "It's in the hole!" The guy I was playing against missed his putt and I beat him.:dance::dance::dance:

Played golf yesterday with an older group of guys(pushing 70). They all play from the super senior tees which is about 5,800 yards. The next level is around 6,200 which is what I normally play. But played their tees just to speed up play. It certainly helped my score as I shot a 71 with a double on the final hole. Made a poor decision that cost me. But the thing that excited me the most about the round is I had a good day putting. I have really struggled the last couple of years getting the ball in the hole, yanking a lot of short putts to the left. But switched to Phil Milkerson's claw grip style. I've tried it before with fair success, but I really concentrated on rocking my shoulders and that helped in preventing the yank. But as all golfers know......what works one day can be gone the next. ;)

Played golf yesterday with an older group of guys(pushing 70). They all play from the super senior tees which is about 5,800 yards. The next level is around 6,200 which is what I normally play. But played their tees just to speed up play. It certainly helped my score as I shot a 71 with a double on the final hole. Made a poor decision that cost me. But the thing that excited me the most about the round is I had a good day putting. I have really struggled the last couple of years getting the ball in the hole, yanking a lot of short putts to the left. But switched to Phil Milkerson's claw grip style. I've tried it before with fair success, but I really concentrated on rocking my shoulders and that helped in preventing the yank. But as all golfers know......what works one day can be gone the next. ;)

Hmmmm. Maybe I should try the senior tees, as my latest score was definitely going in the wrong direction. :mad:

Hmmmm. Maybe I should try the senior tees, as my latest score was definitely going in the wrong direction. :mad:

When I was a kid I had an 8' basketball goal. Made it a lot more fun. It's all about having fun so the sr tees work for me. Plus I'm a senior. :wiseone: I actually play the other tees too just to change it up.

When I was a kid I had an 8' basketball goal. Made it a lot more fun. It's all about having fun so the sr tees work for me. Plus I'm a senior. :wiseone: I actually play the other tees too just to change it up.

Congratulations on the score!

I was playing at my course couple days ago, and there was a plaque with a Donald Ross quote, "Golf should be a pleasure not a penance."

It's on the 14th tee, where your round is well along. One of the guys in the group read it out loud, and I think it was directed at my BIL. He constantly calls himself out with derogatory comments so penance is quite appropriate :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Good point! I played nerf basketball in the living room, so the rim was 6' 6" :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Played the Senior Tees yesterday (6,000 + a bit) because my playing partners were doing so, and it's still very wet (lost 2 balls in the middle of the fairway). It was finally sunny so, I enjoyed the day but, can't say that the Senior Tees helped much. :nonono:

Lots of work to do before my annual golf trip next month. :(

Played the Senior Tees yesterday (6,000 + a bit) because my playing partners were doing so, and it's still very wet (lost 2 balls in the middle of the fairway). It was finally sunny so, I enjoyed the day but, can't say that the Senior Tees helped much. :nonono:

Lots of work to do before my annual golf trip next month. :(

Our course has dried out a bit (enough to keep drives from plugging) so, went back to the normal tees. Yesterday was nice and sunny, and I finally scored well; didn't feel like I struck the ball well but, I was decent around the green & putted very well. I shot 78...after shooting 98 only two weeks before. :facepalm:

IIRC from my Six Sigma days, this much variation indicates "a process out of control." :(

Our course has dried out a bit (enough to keep drives from plugging) so, went back to the normal tees. Yesterday was nice and sunny, and I finally scored well; didn't feel like I struck the ball well but, I was decent around the green & putted very well. I shot 78...after shooting 98 only two weeks before. :facepalm:

IIRC from my Six Sigma days, this much variation indicates "a process out of control." :(

Congrats! 78 is a good score in my book from the regular tees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom