Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
But on the mental/emotional side I am tempted to try to proactively calm down players who start to berate themselves, get anxious/in a hurry, or let one bad shot/hole lead to another.

Do you? What approaches have you found to be helpful?

It's hard to know the degree of frustration you're referring to. Every golfer I've ever played with, including myself, gets frustrated at times. I would typically ignore it but having a conversation in between shots to take their mind off of golf might help. If it got so bad that someones poor attitude really bothered me and affected my enjoyment playing I just wouldn't play with them again. I can only think of a couple members at my club that are like that and I doubt talking to either of them about their attitude would do any good, in fact it could be dangerous.

It's hard to know the degree of frustration you're referring to. Every golfer I've ever played with, including myself, gets frustrated at times. I would typically ignore it but having a conversation in between shots to take their mind off of golf might help. If it got so bad that someones poor attitude really bothered me and affected my enjoyment playing I just wouldn't play with them again. I can only think of a couple members at my club that are like that and I doubt talking to either of them about their attitude would do any good, in fact it could be dangerous.
FWIW, it doesn’t affect me or others in the group, he only hurts himself. I’m sure we’ve all seen it, short of affecting others?

We all get in a funk every now and then. Mine usually last a few holes and then I find a couple good shots and pull myself out of it.

We all get in a funk every now and then. Mine usually last a few holes and then I find a couple good shots and pull myself out of it.

I'm usually pretty low key. But...I've been practicing, working on, reading about, studying, etc MY CHIPPING. Then on our 4th hole I chunk two in a row. My wedge went flying towards the next tee. Proceeded to get "greenie" on the next three holes, birdie-ing two (John McEnroe?). Apologized to my fellow competitors.

Never was a huge club tosser, couldn't remember last time I'd done that. Embarrassing, but also kind of cathartic and entertaining.

Our course is only nine holes, two sets of tees. Second time around, I had the same chip. Got it up and down to taunts, hi fives and laughs from the group. What a game.

Last edited:
i was walking the back 9 this morning and found a prov1 that had "jcretire" printed on it

wonder who that belongs to?

if I don't lose it before I see him yes; I found 4 balls this morning and threw them in the back of my golf cart after the walk

I did something on the links today that I am guessing that no one here has ever done.... I had a 5 on the hole and it was a birdie!

We started on 17 .... I had a great front nine (1-9).. a 37 (+1)... a lifetime low for 9 holes for me... came back to earth for the back nine including the obligatory "blow-up" hole and ended the day with an 84... but I birdied the par 6 16th to end the day.

In fact, I birdied the last hole of two of the 6/6/6 matches to win each one.

Nice Donald Ross course that I usually play a couple times a year.

I did something on the links today that I am guessing that no one here has ever done.... I had a 5 on the hole and it was a birdie!

I've done it...there is a course out of town that plays as a par 6 at 750 yards from the back tees, although you can play it as a 630 (I think) par 5.

How long is your par 6?

There's also a course here in southern AZ that I play once in awhile that has a par 6, tees range from 620yds (ladies) to 747yds (tips). Similar to a par 5 in ease to birdie.

I know they exist, but I’ve never been on a course that even had a par 6 much less okay one. I know they’re pretty rare. So congrats!

I had my best round of this year so far yesterday, an 80 with 3 double bogies. But all I can think of is the dead straight 2 foot birdie putt I missed out of pure carelessness. :mad:

But I won’t forget that anytime soon, so hopefully I won’t do it again... :blush:

Golf, what a game.

I had my best round of this year so far yesterday, an 80 with 3 double bogies. But all I can think of is the dead straight 2 foot birdie putt I missed out of pure carelessness. :mad:

But I won’t forget that anytime soon, so hopefully I won’t do it again... :blush:

Golf, what a game.

Good putting and/or good scrambling. Good on ya!

What did you guys think of Mickelson's move on the 13th hole today? Never seen anything like that in the 45 years I've been watching golf. Many thought he should have been DQ'd. For those that didn't see it Phil putted his ball past the hole and it was about to roll down and off the green so he quickly ran to the ball and putted it back towards the hole while the ball was still moving. They gave him a 2 stroke penalty, got a 10 on the hole.

I have no problem with him knowing the rules. Did you see his attempt at a trick putt later on?

On edit: I still remember when tiger had a group of fans move a giant boulder because he knew the rules didn’t describe how big a rock could be before it couldn’t be moved.

What did you guys think of Mickelson's move on the 13th hole today? Never seen anything like that in the 45 years I've been watching golf. Many thought he should have been DQ'd. For those that didn't see it Phil putted his ball past the hole and it was about to roll down and off the green so he quickly ran to the ball and putted it back towards the hole while the ball was still moving. They gave him a 2 stroke penalty, got a 10 on the hole.

I saw the USGA official say Rule 14-5 Playing a Moving Ball applied.

But Rule 1-2 - "A player must not take an action with the intent to influence the movement of a ball in play..." - has an addendum "In the case if a serious breach of 1-2, the Committee may DQ."

Those who think he should be DQd consider what he did a "serious breach of Etiquette ".
In most cases, although he may be DQd, it is recommended that such a penalty should be imposed only in the event of a further serious breach (Rule 33, Decision 33-7/8).

I remember John Daly doing something like that, hitting a chip that was rolling back at him. I don't think he got DQd either.

I think it was "serious". Definitely not in the spirit of the game. If it was Eddie Nobody, he might have got DQd. Phil? Not gonna do it!

Rules guys seem like referees. No ref is gonna call LeBron for his 6th foul in the NBA finals. Tiger didn't get DQd when he took an improper drop at the Masters, and signed an incorrect scorecard as a result. Bad for ratings.

What did you guys think of Mickelson's move on the 13th hole today?
Like Phil said after, not his finest moment. But he took his penalty, the rules officials provided their rationale, Phil faced the media and was reasonably contrite (imagine remaining composed after just turning in an 81 on a course setup many considered unfair), and he’s now completely out of contention yet again in his 27th unsuccessful US Open. I wish they could have left it there.

What I didn’t enjoy was some media beating Phil’s incident to death trying to create more controversy, Joe Buck in particular. You could see on Azinger’s face that he wasn’t comfortable with Buck repeatedly trying to drag the conversation into the mud. In the end it’s a golf tournament, not a geopolitical crisis. Thank goodness they had the USGA to beat up over a questionable 3rd day course setup (after the 2004 debacle?) or some would have beat up Mickelson ad nauseum.

It’s going to be windy and dry again on Sunday and there’s nothing they could do to make Shinnecock easy! Hopefully the USGA takes the opportunity to redeem themselves and they overwater and dial back some pin placements (if they can still find live grass on the greens) so ALL the commentary on Sunday can be about the pros.

Unfortunate how it happened but the stage is set for a great finish - someone is going to have an historic round.

Nothing whatsoever against Finau or Berger, but the USGA better hope neither of them win or Joe Buck will be asking if the USGA gave them their win until his mic shuts off...

Last edited:
Personally I think he should be DQed. What he did demonstrated no respect for the game. If he was aware of the two stroke penalty for striking a moving ball and did it on purpose he was gaming the rules, which is indefensible and not in the spirit of the game. I realize the course was playing extremely difficult but what Phil did was simply uncalled for and as he has already said, it hasn't his finest moment.

BTW, Joe Buck should be calling baseball games and FOX DQed from ever broadcasting the Open again. Pitiful coverage.

Some might argue that the USGA wasn't demonstrating 'respect for the game' given the course condition and pin placement in light of the forecast weather for the day. Skill should really have more to do with who wins than luck and tee off time.

I think it is hard to DQ him given that it is out of character and just demonstrated the level of frustration he must have been feeling. The officials may have recognized that a DQ may have triggered a full scale revolt.

Last edited:
Two things that come to mind :

- Like alot of things in this media crazed age we live in, too much hoopla over a minor thing.

- Phil loves attention be it good or bad. I don't mind Phil but I always thought he was a bs artist.

BTW, Joe Buck should be calling baseball games and FOX DQed from ever broadcasting the Open again. Pitiful coverage.

+1 Joe Buck is a terrible golf announcer, should have been dumped with Greg Norman after the first year.

Probably should also get rid of all of the USGA big wigs, they have had so many screw ups (course setups, rules issues) during the tournaments they have run the last few years. Time to get some new blood and direction.

Last edited:
Personally I think he should be DQed. What he did demonstrated no respect for the game. If he was aware of the two stroke penalty for striking a moving ball and did it on purpose he was gaming the rules, which is indefensible and not in the spirit of the game. I realize the course was playing extremely difficult but what Phil did was simply uncalled for and as he has already said, it hasn't his finest moment.

I would have also accepted if they’d DQ’d Mickelson. My issue was with Buck belaboring the ruling going out of his way trying to get other commentators to make Phil and the USGA look bad. Make your dissenting view known by all means, then move on. I was glad to see the other former player commentators, who know the game way better than Buck, not take the bait. CBS, NBC and the Golf Channel provide much more professional golf coverage.

And FWIW John Daly took a whack at a ball rolling back to him off the green out of frustration in the last round of the 1999 US Open and took a 2 stroke penalty, he was not DQ’d. Daly carded an 83 that day. https://www.espn.com/golfonline/usopen99/news/1999/990620/00001467.html

Last edited:
I think it is hard to DQ him given that it is out of character and just demonstrated the level of frustration he must have been feeling. The officials may have recognized that a DQ may have triggered a full scale revolt.

One of the talking heads(Golf Channel I think) said that if Pat Perez had done it he would have been DQ'ed. Who knows, but anyone who does such a thing should be DQ'ed imo.

Looks like they have watered the greens this morning so more than likely we won't see anymore goofy golf. Hope for a close finish.

Thanks Big_Hitter for gathering my lost golf balls. Keep your eyes open as there are a couple (dozens) more in the canyon, the pond and in plain sight due to my excellent golf skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom