Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #1541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I really don't get conceding putts at all.....
pace of play - our league is points match so we are allowed to concede putts and/or holes
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #1542
Give me a forum ...

I only concede putts within the leather.... the length of a typical golf club grip.... unless an opponent has had a really bad hole then to put him out of his misery. If a putt is for an eagle then no concession no matter what... if it is for a birdie and within the lether but a really tricky putt then I might not concede it (situational).

A friend tried to convince me that within the leather was the length from the bottom of the grip to the putter head.... NOT!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 08-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #1543
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I only concede putts within the leather....
that's why I switched to a 60" putter
Old 08-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #1544
Give me a forum ...

Notice that I said "typical" golf grip.... I'm on to guys like you!

Old 08-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #1545
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
A friend tried to convince me that within the leather was the length from the bottom of the grip to the putter head.... NOT!
“Inside the leather”

“This is an old expression referring to putters and how close the ball is to the hole -- whether or not it is close enough to be "a gimme" (conceded as holed without actually going to the trouble of putting it in) in casual play.

The word inside tends to mean closer than and outside farther than. So inside the leather would mean closer than the leather. Ah, but from which end? Many people ask, "Does that mean from the top end of the grip to where the shaft starts or from the club head to where the grip starts?" It means the latter. Inside the leather is generally thought of as the ball being less than (inside) the distance from the club head to where the grip* starts and it is typically measured by hooking the end of the putter in the lip of the cup, similarly to if you were hooking the tab of a tape measure on the lip.”

Ambiguities in Golf Termimology - Golf Instruction Article - PGAProfessional.com
Old 08-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #1546

Yep, head of the putter up to the start of the grip.

As for concession, I would never give or accept a concession on an eagle or birdie. In my personal group, it would have to be pretty close on a par. After that, it gets conceded pretty generously.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #1547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post

As for concession, I would never give or accept a concession on an eagle or birdie. In my personal group, it would have to be pretty close on a par. After that, it gets conceded pretty generously.
In our Tues/Thurs group, inside the leather is head to start of grip. We give for par and above. All birdies and below must be putted no matter the distance due to stobs paid separately.
And yes, I have missed inside the leather for birdie before!!!!
Old 08-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #1548
Give me a forum ...

I don't give or take gimmes unless it's 6 inches or less.

Last week I had one of my best games ever...I shot 81 on a "normal" length course. I've shot a 78 before but it was on a 5600 yard course full of 300 yard par 3's. The guys I was playing with last week kept "giving" me putts but I putted all of them wanting a potential great round to be official with no gimmes. I even tapped in 6" putts in that round.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #1549
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
“Inside the leather”

“This is an old expression referring to putters and how close the ball is to the hole -- whether or not it is close enough to be "a gimme" (conceded as holed without actually going to the trouble of putting it in) in casual play.

The word inside tends to mean closer than and outside farther than. So inside the leather would mean closer than the leather. Ah, but from which end? Many people ask, "Does that mean from the top end of the grip to where the shaft starts or from the club head to where the grip starts?" It means the latter. Inside the leather is generally thought of as the ball being less than (inside) the distance from the club head to where the grip* starts and it is typically measured by hooking the end of the putter in the lip of the cup, similarly to if you were hooking the tab of a tape measure on the lip.”

Ambiguities in Golf Termimology - Golf Instruction Article - PGAProfessional.com
Learn something new every day.... I polled a foursome I was in a while ago and we all felt it was the length of the grip... not from the blade to the bottom of the grip like this source suggests. That is 22" on my putter.... vs 10" for just the grip.

I see guys miss 22" putts all the time.... even the pros do.... 10"... not so much.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #1550
Give me a forum ...

It takes no time to tap in a short putt, so just putt it.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #1551
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
+1, that’s what I was taught a million years ago, you lay the head in the hole and measure to the grip. But I’ve never seen anyone actually measure with a putter - everyone just eyeballs gimmies when given IME.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 08-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #1552
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
It takes no time to tap in a short putt, so just putt it.
I know guys (league, not friends) who will actually take almost as much time to read a 2-3 footer as any other putt.

And like several have said above, I’m all for putting another player out of his misery if he’s putting for a triple, quad, snowman, double par, etc.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 08-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #1553
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
pace of play - our league is points match so we are allowed to concede putts and/or holes
How long does it take to tap in from 8 inches? That's not an issue with time.. Slow moving people is the problem.....slow with everything. I've gone out with a 5 ball a couple of times....everybody understands they have to MOVE....always WAY less than 4 hours unless someone gets in the way.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #1554
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
How long does it take to tap in from 8 inches? That's not an issue with time.. Slow moving people is the problem.....slow with everything. I've gone out with a 5 ball a couple of times....everybody understands they have to MOVE....always WAY less than 4 hours unless someone gets in the way.
I guess you've never seen a person plumb bob a two footer?

I have

raking significantly improves the pace of play
Old 08-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #1555
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I know guys (league, not friends) who will actually take almost as much time to read a 2-3 footer as any other putt.
they probably take longer since they will read it twice from both sides, pace it off and plumb bob it

Old 08-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #1556

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireorbust View Post
Played in a multi-course tournament this past weekend on my home course. I am a ghin 5.0.... 225 yard avg off the tee.

Played against two guys from another course with 0 and 3 handicaps. Both of these guys were 20 years younger than me and could drive it 250+ with a 2 iron. Drivers were 300 and that is not an exaggeration.

Needless to say, I had the advantage of keeping it in play and knowing the greens. I shot 75 with a double on one hole (never lost a ball). The 0 hcp shot 87 and lost half a dozen. The 3 shot 84.

To play good golf, you need to keep it D.F.M (down the frickin middle).

Oldest guy in the foursome and whipped them all....
Tell that to Tiger, 64 and hit it all over the course
Old 08-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #1557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
“Inside the leather”

I'd bet 99% of people would say it's grip length. That's interesting about hooking the putter in the hole to measure. But by the time you do that, you could've hit the putt. Courses should paint a one or two foot circle around the hole for people who want gimmes, that would speed things up.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #1558
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Well, if you have to read the putt, then it's not really in gimme range

Quote:
And like several have said above, I’m all for putting another player out of his misery if he’s putting for a triple, quad, snowman, double par, etc.
If it's a disaster hole, I agree. But, people should be making putts for double or less. I know average players who have claimed to shoot 89 but gave themselves a dozen putts, some that were 3' - 4'. On the other hand, I've 3-putted from 2' because it was downhill and broke 4".
Old 08-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #1559

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
I'd bet 99% of people would say it's grip length. That's interesting about hooking the putter in the hole to measure. But by the time you do that, you could've hit the putt. Courses should paint a one or two foot circle around the hole for people who want gimmes, that would speed things up.

I've never heard anyone I play with refer to it as the length of the grip. I believe the standard putter grip length is only 10.5", not much of a need to measure at that distance. Except for birdie putts we usually give at 2' and in, that's probably close to the distance from the putter head to the grip.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
If it's a disaster hole, I agree. But, people should be making putts for double or less. I know average players who have claimed to shoot 89 but gave themselves a dozen putts, some that were 3' - 4'. On the other hand, I've 3-putted from 2' because it was downhill and broke 4".

I have no problem with anyone taking all the gimme putts they want, it speeds up play plus it lowers their handicap so they have no chance come tournament time or when we play a money match using handicaps.
Closed Thread