Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #1881
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw one at a local golf course. Pretty cool.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #1882
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Westin Kierland golf course in Scottsdale has several options for getting around the golf course besides the standard golf cart or walking. They also offer the golf board mentioned above, a segway, and a pedal bike with big fat tires.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #1883
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
The Westin Kierland golf course in Scottsdale has several options for getting around the golf course besides the standard golf cart or walking. They also offer the golf board mentioned above, a segway, and a pedal bike with big fat tires.
no push carts?

edit: I actually played that course - it's badass
Old 04-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #1884
Full time employment: Posting here.

Due to the long wet winter here (SF Bay Area), many of the courses are not in very good shape. I just played Corica South two days ago (Alameda) and the conditioning is excellent and the greens are exceptional.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #1885

I played quite well most of the time during my 3 months in The Villages (FL), which surprised me a bit since I was rehabbing a ruptured achilles. While down there I got the itch to buy some new clubs. I ordered a set of Wishon Sterling single length (5-G)...they just arrived. Unfortunately the weather has been pretty bad, but i may get to hit them tomorrow.

this should be an interesting experiment. Essentially 7 7irons, all with identical length shafts, weight, swing weight, swing MOI, and lie, but with different lofts.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #1886

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
While down there I got the itch to buy some new clubs. I ordered a set of Wishon Sterling single length (5-G)...they just arrived. Unfortunately the weather has been pretty bad, but i may get to hit them tomorrow.

this should be an interesting experiment. Essentially 7 7irons, all with identical length shafts, weight, swing weight, swing MOI, and lie, but with different lofts.

Never heard of Wishon Sterling clubs until your post, sounds interesting. We'll be waiting for a full review!
Old 04-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #1887

Living in Michigan, no golf for awhile. But, Monday the weather is going to be nice and I’m going to get a round in. First one since probably November. Woo Hoo!
Old 04-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #1888

Quote:
Never heard of Wishon Sterling clubs until your post, sounds interesting. We'll be waiting for a full review!
if you want to learn a lot about what is real in golf technology, and what is marketing baloney, YouTube Tom Wishon's videos about club technology. very interesting stuff.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #1889

After a month long slump when my handicap index went up by 1.7, I am back to playing to my standard. A prolonged golf slump makes any fervent golfer a bit suicidal.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #1890
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Living in Michigan, no golf for awhile. But, Monday the weather is going to be nice and I’m going to get a round in. First one since probably November. Woo Hoo!
Me too. Went to the driving range last Thursday, first time swinging a club since last Nov. It was humbling at first, but I started to make decent contact after coming over the top/trying to kill it on the first 25. Good thing I wasn't on the course for those first 25!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 04-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #1891
Give me a forum ...

It was nice to see Tiger overcome his injuries and win the Masters. Everyone thought he was done (Tiger included) not too long ago.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #1892
Give me a forum ...

I haven’t been a Tiger fan since his extramarital affairs, but he’s worked very hard to come back, so congrats all the same. Very few if any other athletes could have come back from the hole he was in, it looks like he has some more wins left before he’s done after all.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 04-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #1893

Congrats to Tiger and this win is so good for the game of golf. I've always been a fan regardless of his personal issues, he seems to have conquered his demons not to even mention four back surgeries. To pick up his 15th major after a decade dry spell is one for the ages. I seriously hope he matches or beats Nicklaus's 18 majors.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I seriously hope he matches or beats Nicklaus's 18 majors.
Records are meant to be broken...and Tiger is a roarin He's been THE golf phenom of the 21st century. I don't think he had 4 back surgeries to NOT beat him.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:41 AM   #1895

My golf swing had gotten out of sync recently, iron play was terrible. Went back to an old source 'Ben Hogan's Five Lessons- The Modern Fundamentals of Golf'. What a classic, he doesn't go on for a hundred pages to get his point across, everything is very well explained, easy to understand, and diagrammed. Starts with the basics (grip, etc.) and works his way up. Got me straightened out in no time. Highly recommended!
Old 04-21-2019, 02:02 AM   #1896

The latest HI is at 13.5, 0.5 off of my all time best. Breaking 13 HI has turned out to be tough which makes me wonder if 13 is as low as I can go. After all, I am not getting any younger.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:12 AM   #1897

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
The latest HI is at 13.5, 0.5 off of my all time best. Breaking 13 HI has turned out to be tough which makes me wonder if 13 is as low as I can go. After all, I am not getting any younger.
I'm sure it's not as low as you can go. A lot depends upon how much time you have, or decide to spend on the game.
Do you keep track of where you are losing strokes to par?
Even as we get older we can improve on our short game. How old are you BTW?

I'm 65 and my HI is at 10.3, coming down from around 12. I've been an 8 before, and I think I can get back there again, but I have a lot of time to spend on it. There is less and less other stuff I can do due to injuries and age, so I have more time to spend on golf.
re: Zinger
Old 04-21-2019, 07:34 AM   #1898
Recycles dryer sheets

re: Zinger

Quote:
My golf swing had gotten out of sync recently, iron play was terrible. Went back to an old source 'Ben Hogan's Five Lessons- The Modern Fundamentals of Golf'. What a classic, he doesn't go on for a hundred pages to get his point across, everything is very well explained, easy to understand, and diagrammed. Starts with the basics (grip, etc.) and works his way up. Got me straightened out in no time. Highly recommended!
When I get out of sync, I have to reference Jim Hardy's the Plane Truth. I have both the book and DVD. It covers one and two plane swings. Hogan had a one plane swing which I use and Hardy has many references to Hogan. Very simple for me to understand. When the swing gets bad I also go back to the basics. Glad you got straightened out. Good advice for everyone.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:39 AM   #1899

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubill View Post
When I get out of sync, I have to reference Jim Hardy's the Plane Truth. I have both the book and DVD. It covers one and two plane swings. Hogan had a one plane swing which I use and Hardy has many references to Hogan. Very simple for me to understand. When the swing gets bad I also go back to the basics. Glad you got straightened out. Good advice for everyone.
I never thought of Hogan as having a one-plane swing. In fact IIRC, in the "5 Lessons" book, he clearly describes the plane changing on the down swing. Am I missing something?
re: HadEnuff
Old 04-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #1900
Recycles dryer sheets

re: HadEnuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I never thought of Hogan as having a one-plane swing. In fact IIRC, in the "5 Lessons" book, he clearly describes the plane changing on the down swing. Am I missing something?
I don't have the 5 Lessons book. I read it many years ago. In the Plane Truth, Hardy goes into detail about Hogan's swing in a conversation with late HOF golf pro John Jacobs.

"On one occasion, I asked him about Ben Hogan’s swing. His response was short but accurate. “He swung everything on one plane.” That remark, made in 1977, was the genesis of a very long search, the search for the one-plane swing."

One thing Hardy repeats often is not to mix one and two plane fundamentals. That's the road to disaster.
Closed Thread