Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #1961
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats Jeeper!!!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #1962
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hey thanks guys!

It was my Ping 8-iron from 132 yards, slight uphill and hurt wind. About 3 yard draw, and landed about 5 feet short of pin and rolled in after hitting flag stick. So fun to watch!

I thought we would win the event easy, but we finished out of the money in fourth place. However, the celebration was great!
Old 06-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #1963
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
It was my Ping 8-iron from 132 yards, slight uphill and hurt wind.

Congratulations! Ping will send you a nice 'Hole-In-One' certificate if you send in the information, there's a form somewhere on their web site.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:13 AM   #1964
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Congratulations! Ping will send you a nice 'Hole-In-One' certificate if you send in the information, there's a form somewhere on their web site.
http://pinggolf-blob.ping.com/pinggo...g_ace_form.pdf

And if you were playing a Titleist https://www.titleist.com/hole-in-one

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 06-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #1965
Give me a forum ...

Mine was a Kirkland. I wonder if they have a program.

Otherwise I'll take a Costco shopping spree!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #1966
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
Hey thanks guys!

It was my Ping 8-iron from 132 yards, slight uphill and hurt wind. About 3 yard draw, and landed about 5 feet short of pin and rolled in after hitting flag stick. So fun to watch!

I thought we would win the event easy, but we finished out of the money in fourth place. However, the celebration was great!
that's awesome - last HIO I got cost me $350
Old 06-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #1967
Recycles dryer sheets

Amazon has a Father's day special on Srixon soft feel balls for 9.99 a dozen. Probably lots of other sales going on. So far have liked these balls a lot (my driver swing speed is unfortunately only 80 so far).
Old 07-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #1968
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just bought a new set of Callaway Rogue X irons and wedges to replace my ancient, but beloved, Ping Zing 2 set. Wow! Quite a difference in feel and results. Just what this hacker needs at 58. I also ordered 3 & 4 hybrids, but they're not here yet.

I bought them on Callaway Pre-Owned but they look like brand new. Great website to find Callaway [and other mfgs.] clubs - they will even adjust the Lie, Length and Grips for just a few bucks. (If you call them to order, they will do even more - like adjust clubs back to standard for free. Highly recommended to buy through their reps. They will save you money and help you get exactly what you want.)

I also sprung for a popup driving net on Amazon so I can spend the time to dial these in at home.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:10 PM   #1969

This may already be somewhere in this thread, but if you don't mind a scuff or two, here's the place to buy ProV1s and any other expensive golf balls for your weekly rounds: https://www.lostgolfballs.com
Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #1970

Went to a nice course today with a couple of old work buddies. We always play for a little fun money. I basically suck at golf, but a few bucks between friends is all good. So, I expect to pay out a little money, but today, I embarrassed myself on the front nine. Shot a 63. A few years ago I buckled down and broke 100 and since then I don’t recall a 60 for nine. Thankfully the back nine went a lot better. Couple pars and some better putting and I put up a 50. For me, breaking 100 on a new course plus this one being a bit tough, would be a good day. So, the 50 was pretty good. Just not sure how I can have two nines be so different on the same day. Oh well, it was a beautiful day here and was with good friends. I guess that’s a good day despite the 60+ front nine.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Went to a nice course today with a couple of old work buddies. We always play for a little fun money. I basically suck at golf, but a few bucks between friends is all good. So, I expect to pay out a little money, but today, I embarrassed myself on the front nine. Shot a 63. A few years ago I buckled down and broke 100 and since then I don’t recall a 60 for nine. Thankfully the back nine went a lot better. Couple pars and some better putting and I put up a 50. For me, breaking 100 on a new course plus this one being a bit tough, would be a good day. So, the 50 was pretty good. Just not sure how I can have two nines be so different on the same day. Oh well, it was a beautiful day here and was with good friends. I guess that’s a good day despite the 60+ front nine.
I’ve done that this year but on the same nine. The front nine was closed for aeration of the greens so we played the back nine twice. The back nine had been aerated two days earlier so putting was “interesting”. First time through I shot 60 and second time through I shot 48! I keep wondering what a third trip through would have brought me.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #1972

Just got my annual rejection notice for the 2020 Masters ticket lottery, guess they didn't want to ruin my streak, about 0-15 now.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #1973
Recycles dryer sheets

Is this the right forum to ask about golf etiquette?
Beginner golf, no handicap cap. We play at a 9 hole course that seems to be for beginners to intermediates. We are slow due to bad hits, to many strokes and time looking for balls.
What is an approximate time to spend on a hole so we learn but don’t hold up other players?
Being rushed only makes us hit worse, and all players had to start at the beginning so don’t understand bad attitude players. One group hit balls on our fairway while we were looking for our balls! WTH!
Obviously we can let some groups play through but not everyone.
We get to the practice range 2 or 3 times a month, so we are practicing.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #1974
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Just got my annual rejection notice for the 2020 Masters ticket lottery, guess they didn't want to ruin my streak, about 0-15 now.
+1 but I don't have as long a streak as you do. I wonder what the odds of being able to buy tickets are?

Old 07-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by workmyfingerstothebone View Post
Beginner golf, no handicap cap. We play at a 9 hole course that seems to be for beginners to intermediates. We are slow due to bad hits, to many strokes and time looking for balls.
What is an approximate time to spend on a hole so we learn but don’t hold up other players?
Being rushed only makes us hit worse, and all players had to start at the beginning so don’t understand bad attitude players. One group hit balls on our fairway while we were looking for our balls! WTH!
My two cents, try to play when the course isn't crowded and be mindful of those behind you and let them play through. Ten minutes a hole should plenty and looking for a lost ball should be limited to a three minute time period. Most guys I play with, if you at double bogey, pick it up and move on.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #1976
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If people are hitting into you, that is not good. I would suggest "ready" golf, no or just one practice swing (I took a practice swing out of my game a couple years ago and my scores improved... I line up, set up, relax for a second, take back slowly and then just hit the damned ball).

One of the guys who plays in our group takes numerous practice swings and then chilli-dips it. Grrr...

Buy used balls at Walmart... less than $1 each so if you lose one give it a quick look and if you don't find it drop one and move on.

Most golfers don't mind playing with golfers who are not good golfers.... but hate playing with slow golfers whether they are low handicap or high handicap.

One beginner that I played with would just drop a ball about 150 yds and then play it in from there... she improved and is now playing off the tee and hitting the ball pretty well.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #1977

Get some inexpensive balls and stop looking for your balls. Just keep moving and you should be fine. There will always be people that don't respect that you're new to golf and at an appropriate golf course, but that's their problem. Have an extra ball(s) in your pocket at all times and keep moving. Take your time hitting the ball, but try to remove other wasted time.

Another thing to do is not worry about putting out. If your putt is close, add a stoke and pick up and move on. If you don't know what "inside the leather" means, let us know. It's a good rule for quicker golf.

One other thing to do is stop at double par. If you're at 8 on a par four, pick up and move on.

Play ready golf - etiquette is to have the person furthest away from the hole to shoot next. Forget that except to stay safe and out of the way of an errant shot. Get to your ball and hit - as in when you're ready, shoot. Of course, don't be obnoxious to your team mates.

Continually look for things to remove time from your game without sacrificing the time you take for a good shot. That's your time and you need it to improve.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #1978
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the suggestions,we’ll try them all .
Just for information purposes it takes us a little over 2 hours to play 9 holes.
Haven’t attempted 18.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #1979

Quote:
https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usg...-%20Final2.pdf

Above is USGA pace of play guidelines.

Etiquette had been furthest away plays, but this was revised to "ready golf", i.e. Hit when you're ready. Everyone should go to their own ball and get ready to play.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #1980

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions,we’ll try them all .
Just for information purposes it takes us a little over 2 hours to play 9 holes.
Haven’t attempted 18.
For two people, that would be a bit long. For four people, that wouldn’t be slow at all. Four hours for 18 for a foursome is about right.