Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
First ever hole in one today! 135 yard par 3. Sadly, I didn't actually get to see it go into the cup due to a hill in front of the green, but a guy two holes back saw it roll in.

First ever hole in one today! 135 yard par 3. Sadly, I didn't actually get to see it go into the cup due to a hill in front of the green, but a guy two holes back saw it roll in.

Congrats! Good job!

Congratulations on a nice start. Now you have some catching up to do:

Mancil Davis
  • 51 official holes in one (The PGA world record)
  • 10 double eagles (The world record)
  • 8,673 combined yards of holes in one (over four and one half miles)
  • Career holes in one average: 170 yards
  • Has made a hole in one with every club in the bag, except a putter, pitching wedge, or sand wedge
  • Longest hole in one: 379 yards
  • Shortest hole in one: 124 yards
  • 8 holes in one in a single year
  • 3 holes in one in a single week
  • Made at least one hole in one per year between 1967 and 1987

:D

Congratulations on a nice start. Now you have some catching up to do:

Mancil Davis
  • 51 official holes in one (The PGA world record)
  • 10 double eagles (The world record)
  • 8,673 combined yards of holes in one (over four and one half miles)
  • Career holes in one average: 170 yards
  • Has made a hole in one with every club in the bag, except a putter, pitching wedge, or sand wedge
  • Longest hole in one: 379 yards
  • Shortest hole in one: 124 yards
  • 8 holes in one in a single year
  • 3 holes in one in a single week
  • Made at least one hole in one per year between 1967 and 1987

:D

I'll stick to tiddlywinks. Already in the Guinness Book of Records for winning the most Word Championships.

Congrats, has to be a great feeling. I don't remember as my only ace was 52 years ago...

I liked using my $100 Garmin Approach G10, it hung from my belt every golf round for 3+ years. I chose it over other brands because it also keeps score and basic stats (putts, GIR, %FW) and decades of positive experiences with Garmin marine GPS. If there are other budget golf GPS or laser rangefinder brands that also keep score & stats, I missed it. That’s the main reason I haven’t been interested in rangefinders.

But I got tired of the having to sync G10 scorecards thru a PC, and course updates were a nightmare. So I just bought a Garmin Approach S20, golf watch with some activity tracking, largely because it syncs and updates automatically via Bluetooth.

I liked my G10, but the S20 is the bomb.

It has all the same golf features PLUS Autoshot. It notes every shot (except putts), distance and position overlaid on hole layout, for review after the round. The user doesn’t have to do anything to record shots but you can choose to be prompted to record what club you used after each shot, or edit/add clubs afterward if you prefer. And you don’t have to add any doo-dads to your clubs. So I’m recording the club used for full shots, and leaving partial shots and outright duffs as the default “unknown” club. That way I’ll have exact distances, average and max, for each club after I get more rounds in my data base. And I don’t know if it does it for every club, but it shows driver dispersion graphically.

All this for $116.98 on sale! Merry Christmas me!

FWIW
garmin-connect-golf.jpg

pd-02-lg-eddeb950-9c10-4e36-8d76-bfc7710f25a3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I was about to buy the S10 but for the difference in price, I’ll go with the S20. I didn’t realize it did so much.

I have the Garmin Vivoactive 3 and it does the same thing, it does miss some shots but overall pretty good considering there's no user interaction.

Ping is offering free Arccos sensors (https://ping.com/en-us/arccos-sensor-promo) if you own specific Ping model clubs. Well not exactly free, you need to purchase a yearly Arccos subscription after a 90 day trial period. I tried it out but didn't find it that useful, I already know how far I hit various clubs and the sensors sometimes miss shots, plus I don't like having to carry my cellphone in my pocket when golfing which Arccos requires. I canceled before the 90 days was up but they added on an additional 5 free months, I took the extension but won't renew past that.

Last edited:
...So I just bought a Garmin Approach S20, golf watch with some activity tracking, largely because it syncs and updates automatically via Bluetooth...

I liked my G10, but the S20 is the bomb.

(makes note to add it to "Blow That Dough" list for 2020... :))

Ping is offering free Arccos sensors (https://ping.com/en-us/arccos-sensor-promo) if you own specific Ping model clubs. Well not exactly free, you need to purchase a yearly Arccos subscription after a 90 day trial period. I tried it out but didn't find it that useful, I already know how far I hit various clubs and the sensors sometimes miss shots, plus I don't like having to carry my cellphone in my pocket when golfing which Arccos requires. I canceled before the 90 days was up but they added on an additional 5 free months, I took the extension but won't renew past that.
Another feature of the Garmin Approach S20. I forgot to turn on the watch until after my first drive, my bad. But you can edit/add shots, so I pulled up the first hole and added my drive easy peasy - all four tees are shown on the graphic. There were also two erroneous shots, one was last green to next tee :confused: - but I just deleted them.

It’ll be interesting to see what my yardages are, though I know I’m shorter in winter. I’ve always used 10 yard increments between irons and it’s served me well - as far as I know. I’m sure my gaps aren’t all a neat 10 yards, and I don’t have a clue what my distance (length, not right-left) dispersion is - probably more than 10 yards :cool: And the driving range is useless for establishing distances.

Last edited:
Played Las Parotas Golf Club in Huatulco, MX on Christmas. Outstanding course; well maintained, great service; they bring you cold drinks & towels throughout the round, and didn’t see another group until 18.

For some reason, the course architect had a penchant for placing big @$$ trees in the middle of the fairway. Highly recommended if you’re ever down that way; most likely on a cruise.
IMG_1239.JPGIMG_1240.jpg

....For some reason, the course architect had a penchant for placing big @$$ trees in the middle of the fairway. ...

Yes, what is it with that and why do designers do it?

On one of my former home courses there was a big @$$ pine tree in the middle of the 8th fairway. One member kept getting into it. Then one night in the middle of the night it was chainsawed to the ground. Good riddance.

Ace #3 of my golfing life today! 149 yard seven iron on the 11th hole of our course here in North Scottsdale. Bounced about a foot from the hole and went in. Actually got to see it which was nice. Not too many folks around the club so the bar bill should only be about $400. Hole in one pool is $2250!:dance:

Good way to end the year!

Ace #3 of my golfing life today! 149 yard seven iron on the 11th hole of our course here in North Scottsdale. Bounced about a foot from the hole and went in. Actually got to see it which was nice. Not too many folks around the club so the bar bill should only be about $400. Hole in one pool is $2250!:dance:

Congrats!

I seem to be 10-20 yds shorter with each club than a few short years ago (I'm 64).

I'm wondering if it might be time to look at senior shafts. Thoughts?

I seem to be 10-20 yds shorter with each club than a few short years ago (I'm 64).

Only way to know is to get on a launch monitor and see what kind of club head speed you're generating. They're easy to find these days, almost any Dick's Sporting Goods or Golf Galaxy if nowhere else. I'd honestly be surprised if you need senior shafts at your age, I don't yet and I'm a year older than you are. :wiseone: I got fitted last year and I still use stiff shafts, but 20 grams lighter than my salad days. By all means let a fitter tell you - for free. Then you can think it over and decide how to proceed...best of luck.

true-temper-swing-speed-and-tempo-for-shaft-flex-fitting.jpg

Last edited:

awesome - last ace I had cost me about $350 - worth every dollar

Only way to know is to get on a launch monitor and see what kind of club head speed you're generating.

I can definitely hit the ball further with a whippy shaft it's just difficult for me to control it - my driver shaft is X, everything else just S

my last day in the orifice is tomorrow - time for some short game practice next week

I recently turned 62 and over the last year or two I am 10 to 15 yards shorter with the irons by design. I am purposely not turning and coiling as far to protect my back. My full yardage is available, but I would last no more than a week. Maybe your body is subconsciously protecting itself.

I use to play DGS300 shafts, I switched to a Stiff Flex lighter steel shaft. It's about halfway between a Stiff and Regular flex.

Last edited:

So much for the $400.00 bar bill. Total including tax and tip came out to $1004.00! Oh well still cleared enough to buy a new driver this year with the leftover credit.:LOL:

I recently turned 62 and over the last year or two I am 10 to 15 yards shorter with the irons by design. I am purposely not turning and coiling as far to protect my back. My full yardage is available, but I would last no more than a week. Maybe your body is subconsciously protecting itself.

Either protecting itself or for many as we get older just not able to turn like we use to. Stretching, weight training, yoga can definitely help to keep what we have a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom