Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #2121
Full time employment: Posting here.

to take the old grip off and new one on - usually $2 or $3 per grip.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2020, 08:31 AM   #2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Congrats! A surreal feeling I’m sure.

Someone on the golf channel was postulating there’s no equivalent to a hole in one, a perfect shot, in any other sport.
Nothing perfect about a hole in one. It's as much luck as skill. I played with a guy who got a HIO on a 150 yard par 3. Skulled the shot and it rolled all the way to the green and in. Saw my wife do the same from the FW for eagle ,175 yards out, worm burner all the way into the cup. I've holed a few from 100-150 off the FW and never felt like I did anything special. It takes a nice shot to get it close, after that it's up to the golf gods.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #2123

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Perhaps a 300 game or 900 series in bowling.
I'd say both of those are harder than a HIO. You have to throw 12 perfect shots in a 300 game compared to one for a HIO.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:41 AM   #2124

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Thanks. It was Wente in Livemore, hole #7.

Excellent, that's a tough hole.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #2125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
I'd say both of those are harder than a HIO. You have to throw 12 perfect shots in a 300 game compared to one for a HIO.
Fortunately we don’t have to guess - evidently they’re about equal difficulty for an average player. One of several sources...
Quote:
Golf Digest hired a retired chairman of the Math. Dept. at Boston U. to calculate the odds of a hole in one using the "best available" data. Some results:
# Tour player making an ace: 3,000 to 1
# Low-handicapper making an ace: 5,000 to 1
# Average player making an ace: 12,000 to 1
Source: http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/f/holeinoneodds.htm
The odds of an adult male bowling a perfect game are 1 in 11,500. Source: http://www.newsday.com/sports/highschool/ny-skhsco...
If these two sources are correct, the odds of a golf ace vs. a perfect game of bowling are about the same for the "average" player.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:51 AM   #2126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I’m thinking of new grips. What things need to be considered? I have my original Ping grips but thinking I’d like something a bit larger in the hand and maybe I little softer and stickier. Do they fit grips like they do clubs? What’s a fair price for installation? Just don’t want to go into the store without some background information. Thanks.
if your grips are more than 2 seasons old you definitely need good grips - things to consider:

size of grip - like Midpack said there are 3 sizes, i use regular mid size - lots of older guys use jumbo grips due to arthritis
tackiness - how tacky or slick do you like your grips, do you need corded grips due to humidity?
age of current grips - ideally you should regrip every season - it's about the least expensive thing you can do to improve your game
DIY - I've done several sets of grips and it's kind of a PITA and messy - well worth it to have a shop do it for $2 per - kind of like cleaning a goose

more info here - https://www.lamkingrips.com/choosing...ect-golf-grip/

I've used lamkin grips - I used to use crosslines exclusively but I like the g2 tour wraps better

https://www.lamkingrips.com/product-...winging-grips/
Old 02-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #2127
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay, you convinced me! By the way I played the back nine again on Saturday. Was again at 36 after eight holes, but this time kept the ball dry and two putted for par! 40. Just think what new grips could do
Old 02-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #2128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
Okay, you convinced me! By the way I played the back nine again on Saturday. Was again at 36 after eight holes, but this time kept the ball dry and two putted for par! 40. Just think what new grips could do
nice playing! - John and I both made big numbers on 18 friday, destroying what would have been 2 decent rounds lol

they have a nice selection of grips in stock at the shop - 20% off too
Old 02-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #2129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
age of current grips - ideally you should regrip every season - it's about the least expensive thing you can do to improve your game.
I change mine every 1-2 seasons, agreed its money well spent.

It helps a lot to clean your grips every once in a while, especially in Summer when sweat is more of a factor. I do mine a couple times a year. Just scrub lightly with soap and water, rinse thoroughly, dry and let them air dry for at least 24 hours. Only caveat, not a huge deal but it’s a good idea to keep the clubs grip down (heads elevated) the entire time to avoid any water going down the shaft and sitting at the bottom of the hosel.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #2130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Fortunately we don’t have to guess - evidently they’re about equal difficulty for an average player. One of several sources...
So then a pertect series of 900 is definitely a bigger accomplishment than a HIO... perhaps similar to an albatross in golf.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 02-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #2131
Give me a forum ...

I got new grips last season and went from regular to mid-size... no particularly noticible difference.... may go with jumbos next time (and I don't have big hands0.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 02-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #2132
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For the DIY golf grip changer Golfworks usually has some good discounts, just got this email today (buy 6 midsize Superstroke grips get six free). They are good grips, I have then on my clubs now, equivalent to Golf Pride Tour Velvet that I've used in the past.

https://www.golfworks.com/super-stro...n=ST0065F-Sale

If you don't want to change the grips yourself ask around, there's likely someone in your playing groups that will be willing to help you out. I've been changing my own grips for as long as I can remember and happy to do it for my friends. It doesn't require any exotic or expensive tools for grip removal/install.
Golf Push Cart
Old 02-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #2133

Golf Push Cart

I searched this thread and found one recommendation for a push cart.

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2144637

I got permanent status on the league I sub’d in last year and I’m thinking of walking (it’s only 9 holes) and looking for a push cart. Anyone have any other cart that I should take a look at? Found a few on Costco, but they have a foot break and I’m guessing that would work worse than a hand break up top. Any other features I should look at such as three wheels versus four?
Old 02-26-2020, 08:38 PM   #2134
Recycles dryer sheets

I got the bag boy express dlx model which is low end but am very happy with it.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:56 AM   #2135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I got permanent status on the league I sub’d in last year and I’m thinking of walking (it’s only 9 holes) and looking for a push cart. Anyone have any other cart that I should take a look at? Found a few on Costco, but they have a foot break and I’m guessing that would work worse than a hand break up top. Any other features I should look at such as three wheels versus four?
That’s my recommendation and I still stand by it. It’s more expensive than a basic cart, but it you plan to walk a lot it’s worth it IMO.
  • Four wheels is more stable than three, but three “steers” easier - I prefer three.
  • A hand brake is more convenient but I rarely use mine. Don’t need it on level ground of course, and when I’m on a hill I just orient the cart sidehill so I don’t need the brake. Only use the brake occasionally.
  • Just make sure you have good storage for balls, tees, water bottle, head covers, etc. so you don’t have to fish everything out of your bag.
  • And I’m sure you realize a “cart bag” has the pockets and metal woods on the wrong side for a push cart.

From my favorite golf website https://mygolfspy.com/best-push-cart-of-2019/

Old 02-27-2020, 06:03 AM   #2136

I've been using pushcarts for many years, started with a Clicgear, still have it but it required a lot of maintenance over the years, the lower aluminum struts on both of the back wheels snapped and had to replace the tires and brake cable.

Picked up an almost new Sun Mountain V1 cart on craigslist a few years ago for $50, the original tires were tubed and not a good choice for desert golfing, too many prickly things. Replaced the tires with foam and that worked much better. Terrible brake design, the brake cable is under stress when the brake is off (~99% of the time in my case), had to replace the cable 3 times over the years. Had to replace the handle pivot assemble because the plastic gear had worn down. The front tire wobbles and now needs to be replaced. The cart does roll better than the Clicgear IMO.

Instead of dumping money into fixing one of the old ones picked up a new cart a couple months ago, a CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8. So far I like it a lot, better than both the Clicgear and Sun Mountain IMO, rolls very nice, seems well made, has better storage compartments, and is cheaper (paid $150 on sale). It does have a foot brake but for me that's a plus, I rarely use it and will never have to worry about needing to replace a brake cable. The only unknown is how well it will hold up over time.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:08 AM   #2137

I've been down in The Villages since December, playing 2x week on regular length 18 hole courses, and once or twice/ week on the short executive 9 hole courses. Last year i hit a lot of practice range sessions, but this year, because I've been playing pickleball, I haven't been hitting the range at all.
Counterintuitively, my ball striking has taken a turn for the better. In the last 8 weeks I have been wearing out the sweet spot on my irons. In the last 4 weeks I have had 4 hole-outs from the fairway for eagles. I am sure it won't last, but it has been fun.
My putting is sometimes good, sometimes bad. Last week I made 3 birdies in a row, something I don't think I've ever done in my life.
Somedays my putting is not so great. We play different courses all the time, and the speeds of the greens vary wildly. Two days a go I was on a par 5 in two, perfect little 15 footer up the hill for an eagle. I 4 putted for a smooth bogey. Such is golf.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #2138
Give me a forum ...

I just got 2 of these

https://dollardriverclub.com/product...ate-golf-towel

Old 03-02-2020, 04:05 PM   #2139
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally broke 90 today (first time since I restarted golf), but what a wild ride. Was doing OK until a huge blowup on hole 13, at which point I figured I was done. But my last 5 holes went par, par, par, bogey, and then a final par needing a 10 foot putt, so I squeaked in with an 89.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #2140

Quote:

I have a Bag Boy and it's great . Clic Gear and Sun Mountain get great reviews, too.
Closed Thread