Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when you say a different club head are you referring to weight difference? Was thinking about that, does extra weight there increased centripetal force translating to less effort required on your drive for further distance?

I know...still a newbie...just focus on hitting the damn thing first [emoji23]
Yeah, you really don't want to wander off into choosing swing weights. Most OEM clubs are similar in swing weight, and you shouldn't need to vary from them without the advice of a fitter. In other words, you don't want to monkey around with swingweights at this stage IMHO. Like pb4uski noted, different clubheads are mostly different shapes/features directed at distance, forgiveness, workability, etc. Some sort of GI/SGI (game improvement/super game improvement) irons would probably be a good place to start as noted above. Many better players prefer blades, but they usually require considerably more skill to enjoy.

So when you say a different club head are you referring to weight difference? Was thinking about that, does extra weight there increased centripetal force translating to less effort required on your drive for further distance?

Probably an oversimplification but typically each manufacturer makes iron heads that fall into one of 3 categories (players, players distance, game improvement). 'Players' irons typically used by the top golfers have more weight around the center of the clubface and are less forgiven but offer more control/accuracy. 'Game improvement' are perimeter weighted so offer a bigger sweet spot (more forgiven) but may not provide the control and feel the better player likes. 'Player distance' are somewhere in the middle.

Probably an oversimplification but typically each manufacturer makes iron heads that fall into one of 3 categories (players, players distance, game improvement). 'Players' irons typically used by the top golfers have more weight around the center of the clubface and are less forgiven but offer more control/accuracy. 'Game improvement' are perimeter weighted so offer a bigger sweet spot (more forgiven) but may not provide the control and feel the better player likes. 'Player distance' are somewhere in the middle.

Definitely feel like it’s a set of gently used Game Improvement all the way as new Player sounds a lot like falling into carbon bicycle territory again. Been there done that. Lesson learnt.

Always a tough decision though because if I find something I’m comfortable and happy with that do the job I tend to keep things like this forever regardless of further technological advances.

Thanks again for all the help and information [emoji4]

Since things are opening back up after the initial covid shutdown and getting somewhat back to normal, golf courses are starting to insist on two persons per cart. Some courses provide a plexiglass or clear plastic divider between driver and passenger. Seeing how I'm not quite there yet (riding two per cart) I've been looking into three and four wheel push carts. Boy can't believe how expensive the darn things have gotten $200-$500. I've put a WTB out on CLs but so far only a few bites. I would like to hear from any of the walker/push cart golfers here, their preferences in a push cart or suggestions. I'm in decent shape so no worries about the walking, just the 90 degree heat.. Thanks in advance.

Since things are opening back up after the initial covid shutdown and getting somewhat back to normal, golf courses are starting to insist on two persons per cart. Some courses provide a plexiglass or clear plastic divider between driver and passenger. Seeing how I'm not quite there yet (riding two per cart) I've been looking into three and four wheel push carts. Boy can't believe how expensive the darn things have gotten $200-$500. I've put a WTB out on CLs but so far only a few bites. I would like to hear from any of the walker/push cart golfers here, their preferences in a push cart or suggestions. I'm in decent shape so no worries about the walking, just the 90 degree heat.. Thanks in advance.
Between Covid-19 and prime golf season, push carts have been/are in high demand so if you find a used one it probably won't be at distressed pricing. I've had/used cheap carts and they're a PITA, get a decent cart.

I have a BagBoy Triswivel II https://bagboy.com/collections/bag-boy/products/triswivel-ii-push-cart I got on sale. I thought the swiveling front wheel was a gimmick but based on good reviews, I bought one - and it's outstanding!

Clicgear is an outstanding brand, their 3.5+ wins many best push cart comparisons and I've never met an unhappy 3.5+ owner Clicgear | Pushcarts. Only reason I didn't buy a Clicgear is they didn't have a swiveling front wheel model at the time, but I think they do now Rovic.

Good luck, find a sale or a used high end push cart - just don't buy junk, you'll regret it if you use it with any regularity.

I've gone through a few 3-wheel push carts over the years, started with a ClicGear, then a Sun Mountain, and now a CaddyTek.

I would say out of the 3 the ClicGear was my least favorite, had to replace two aluminum struts that attach to the rear wheels that snapped while I was out playing, replaced worn out tires (normal maintenance), although the front tire has a tracking adjustment it never seemed to track straight.

The Sun Mountain was good but has a terrible brake design, the brake cable is under stress when disengaged and will eventually break, more than once in my case.

Purchased the CaddyTek EZ V8 back in January and probably my favorite so far but haven't had it long enough to see how well it will hold up. Rolls nice, seems sturdy, and has the best storage. Has a foot brake that some may see as a negative but it's a positive to me, rarely use the brake and it's a very simple design with little chance of breaking.

Looks like the prices have really shot up, I paid $156 for the CaddyTek (open box from Amazon, new ones were listed for $200) 6 months ago and a new one is now listed in the $300 range. Costco was carrying a slightly different CaddyTek model for $150 but not sure if they still have it.

Last edited:
I've gone through a few 3-wheel push carts over the years, started with a ClicGear, then a Sun Mountain, and now a CaddyTek.

I would say out of the 3 the ClicGear was my least favorite, had to replace two aluminum struts that attach to the rear wheels that snapped while I was out playing, replaced worn out tires (normal maintenance), although the front tire has a tracking adjustment it never seemed to track straight.

The Sun Mountain was good but has a terrible brake design, the brake cable is under stress when disengaged and will eventually break, more than once in my case.

Purchased the CaddyTek EZ V8 back in January and probably my favorite so far but haven't had it long enough to see how well it will hold up. Rolls nice, seems sturdy, and has the best storage.

Looks like the prices have really shot up, I paid $156 for the CaddyTek (open box from Amazon) 6 months ago and a new one is now listed in the $300 range. Costco was carrying a slightly different CaddyTek model for $150 but not sure if they still have it.
Since ClicGear gets stellar reviews online from industry sites and owners alike, and you've gone through 3 carts "over the years," I have to ask how long ago was your ClicGear experience and what model if you recall?

Since ClicGear gets stellar reviews online from industry sites and owners alike, and you've gone through 3 carts "over the years," I have to ask how long ago was your ClicGear experience and what model if you recall?

It was one of the earlier models, probably the first one, bought maybe 12 years ago. I do golf with people that use a newer model and the tracking problem still seems to be an issue. As far as the broken struts go the design looks exactly the same as the newer models and they sell them as an accessory so I'm guessing others have had issues. The problem is when the strut breaks the wheel collapses making the cart unusable, not good when your out in the middle of a golf course. Overall not a bad cart, just my least favorite of the three.

Last edited:
I actually prefer the two-wheeled pull carts over the push carts. I find loads of the at Goodwill in Florida for about $10-15.

It was one of the earlier models, probably the first one, bought maybe 12 years ago. I do golf with people that use a newer model and the tracking problem still seems to be an issue. As far as the broken struts go the design looks exactly the same as the newer models and they sell them as an accessory so I'm guessing others have had issues. The problem is when the strut breaks the wheel collapses making the cart unusable, not good when your out in the middle of a golf course. Overall not a bad cart, just my least favorite of the three.
Fair enough. Thanks.

I too have the BagBoy Triswivel II and this is a great push cart. Recently my back has been causing me problems when pushing on hilly courses. So I purchased a battery powered cart, CaddyTrek II. It's expensive ($1500), but works great.

I have been playing golf and chasing the perfect swing/golf game forever and recently started to watch these you tube videos by Tom Saguto. Very entertaining and great information without boring you to death. Hope you enjoy as much as I did.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62Ygv4OmSNZBFkL6A7KDQg

I've seen some of his videos. He's a stack and tilt guy. His swing is a little too flat for my liking as I have always had more of an upright swing(think Colin Montgomerie). I tried his style but I'm one of those old dogs that are hard to change. If I was starting fresh I would probably try to learn his way.

I too have the BagBoy Triswivel II and this is a great push cart. Recently my back has been causing me problems when pushing on hilly courses. So I purchased a battery powered cart, CaddyTrek II. It's expensive ($1500), but works great.

I almost always walk and have toyed with buying a battery powered cart in the past but, just couldn’t pull the trigger when I had a perfectly good old BagBoy push cart. Well, my very old (so old there are no spare parts in stock) BagBoy finally gave up the ghost so, I began looking for a replacement. Every single manual push cart I was interested in was “out of stock” so, I bought the MGI Zip Navigator, largely based on the ‘MyGolfSpy’ rating and reviews from owners. It’s being shipped and I feel like a kid on the night before Christmas! Can’t wait to get my bag on it out on the course. 🤩

Really playing well lately, too bad our league has suspended organized wagering until Covid-19 allows the admins to collect money (they refuse to touch cash) or let us congregate after rounds. The admin still shows winners after every round, and how much we would have won - but it's all for no $ even though our handicaps are recalculated after every round.

Our pre-Covid format was all shotgun start so we could drink beers, swap lies, and collect $ after. Now we all have our own tee times from 8:00 thru 10:00am, and we're not supposed to congregate. Not complaining (much), at least I'm getting to play golf again 2-3 times a week. Just looking forward to getting together with the larger group again one day...

Sorry, just whining after my best round in a couple years, and nothing to show for it.

Really playing well lately, too bad our league has suspended organized wagering until Covid-19 allows the admins to collect money (they refuse to touch cash) or let us congregate after rounds. The admin still shows winners after every round, and how much we would have won ....

I had suggested to our organizers that we just keep a running tally of what is due to or from each player and settle up later in the season.... they didn't end up doing it but I think it would have worked ok... of course, we only wager $7 each week.

We have started having a team captain from each foursome collect $7 from each player at the start of the round and they put it in an envelope and each team captain gives the envelope to the organizer... I'm not sure what that accomplishes but that is how they chose to do it.

Thanks for the suggestions,we’ll try them all .
Just for information purposes it takes us a little over 2 hours to play 9 holes.
Haven’t attempted 18.

If the 9 hole course is all par 3's, 2 hours is a little long. If it has some par 4's or maybe even a par 5, two hours is slightly long, but passable.

I had suggested to our organizers that we just keep a running tally of what is due to or from each player and settle up later in the season.... they didn't end up doing it but I think it would have worked ok... of course, we only wager $7 each week.

We have started having a team captain from each foursome collect $7 from each player at the start of the round and they put it in an envelope and each team captain gives the envelope to the organizer... I'm not sure what that accomplishes but that is how they chose to do it.
We were $5 twice a week, but our league admin lost both his significantly older brothers to Covid-19, so we can’t push him. I offered to keep track online, handle the money, publish weekly results, accumulated winnings, etc. to keep our $ program going - but it became apparent he didn’t want it to work until he could take over himself. So we’re all bound by what he’s comfortable with.

Due to covid restrictions our group has implemented a rule that you can drop out of any bunker, just no closer to the hole. I haven't seen a rake on a golf course for probably the last six months or so. Everybody else doing pretty much the same ?

Due to covid restrictions our group has implemented a rule that you can drop out of any bunker, just no closer to the hole. I haven't seen a rake on a golf course for probably the last six months or so. Everybody else doing pretty much the same ?

We just move the ball out of any bad spots in the bunker but still play the shot out of it. Our golf course maintenance crew rakes the bunkers once a week or so. So the bunkers are in fair shape.

Don’t like it. If no rakes and you’re in a footprint or some other “damage”, just place it in a normal lie IN THE BUNKER.

That’s what we do at courses that don’t supply rakes. One course puts a rake on every cart. I keep forgetting to take the rake with me and often leave it in the bunker. Duh.

But on a larger issue, it seems almost impossible to transmit the virus on a rake, or a flagstick for that matter, sitting outside in the sunshine and breeze. I understand the symbolism and go along with it, but don’t think it has any real life benefit.

Yes, a couple weeks ago we play at a club that had a local rule that all bunkers were a free drop outside the bunker, no closer to the hole.

Of course, you can always opt to play it as it lies if you wish.... and some bunkers are so hard packed that it is feasible to just putt out of them.

Nope, and I wouldn’t agree as others have noted. Most courses I’ve played have adopted - “Please lift, clean, place, and foot rake afterwards“ or something similar. Our league has adopted a rule you can improve your lie in bunkers in case you land in a footprint or hard pan area, but you have to play from the bunker as close to where the ball landed as possible - e.g. no moving it back from a lip/overhang. Obviously you don’t have to deal with a “fried egg” for now, but you still have to hit from the trap. Dropping outside the bunker is way too generous IMO. I haven’t see a rake in months either, but all the traps in the half dozen courses I’ve played lately had been raked presumably by grounds crew at some frequency (daily?).

Last edited:
Shared this with a couple golf buddies today, it’s 10 years old but I thought I’d post here too in case you haven’t seen it already. One of the great “lessons” ever, listen to exactly what’s said (Miller whining), how little time Jack takes to read a 102’ putt with severe contours, and the amount of slope as Jack walks back up. You might have to watch it twice to fully appreciate it. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/tUPPnVo0CII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom