Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #2341
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Speaking of golf, after a 10+ year layoff (had both hips replaced during that time span), I am going back to playing golf.

I hit a 1/2 bucket of balls Wednesday and seemed to still have a swing.

I have been playing since I was a 12 year old caddie in 1955 with moderate skill. My best year, handicap wise, was in the 1980's when I held on to a solid 10. I have belonged to private clubs in California and in Texas, but no more memberships.

Next Tuesday a friend and I tee off at 9:20 AM at a local course in Conroe, Texas (Panorama Golf Club: https://www.panoramagctx.com/). My clubs are pretty old, but not as old as me! It should be fun, but it will be HOT (90's F).
BLOW THE DOUGH, Get fitted for some new clubs - SENIOR FLEX and a new PUTTER>>>>>>>
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #2342
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Speaking of golf, after a 10+ year layoff (had both hips replaced during that time span), I am going back to playing golf.

I hit a 1/2 bucket of balls Wednesday and seemed to still have a swing.

I have been playing since I was a 12 year old caddie in 1955 with moderate skill. My best year, handicap wise, was in the 1980's when I held on to a solid 10. I have belonged to private clubs in California and in Texas, but no more memberships.

Next Tuesday a friend and I tee off at 9:20 AM at a local course in Conroe, Texas (Panorama Golf Club: https://www.panoramagctx.com/). My clubs are pretty old, but not as old as me! It should be fun, but it will be HOT (90's F).
Good luck. Hope you come back strong after a 10 year layoff.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:29 AM   #2343
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

USGA Handicapping Sucks!

Our club runs an 80% handicap Match Play.

After winning my first three matches, in the semis I play a friend who has a 4.9 index, my index is 4.5. Heads up no strokes right, as 80% of the 0.4 difference is 0.32, no stroke. No. 4.5 is a 5 handicap, 4.9 is a 6. 80% of 1 rounds to one, I gotta give him a stroke. What a bunch of crap.

Like the IRS told me when I had a tax question, it may not be right, but it is correct.

After playing the 1st 12 holes 1 over and finding myself two down, one of them due to the stroke, I couldn’t come back and lost 3&1.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:38 AM   #2344
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How can 4.9 be a 6?

If you have the GHIN app you can lookup the course handicap for you and your competitor for the course and tees that you are playing... I suspect that you then take 80% of the course handicaps, rounded and take the difference.

But are you really complaining so much about 1 stroke? If you lost 3&1 then he had you dormie after 16, right? It sounds like either you had an off day or he had a good day and you likely would have lost anyway.... just congratulate him and move on.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 08-28-2020, 06:50 AM   #2345
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

... Next Tuesday a friend and I tee off at 9:20 AM at a local course in Conroe, Texas (Panorama Golf Club: https://www.panoramagctx.com/). My clubs are pretty old, but not as old as me! It should be fun, but it will be HOT (90's F).
How did it go?

Old 08-28-2020, 07:04 AM   #2346
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
How can 4.9 be a 6?
index versus course handicap - it happens

this may be one thing we can cavalierly attribute to rounding
Old 08-28-2020, 07:08 AM   #2347
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
index versus course handicap - it happens

this may be one thing we can cavalierly attribute to rounding
Ok, so the 4.5 index converted to a 5 course handicap is one stroke different from a 4.9 index converted to a 6 course handicap... as you say, due to rounding... and then 80% of the one-stroke diffence rounds to one... I guess I could see that happening but the poster should have been clearer.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:25 AM   #2348
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ok, so the 4.5 index converted to a 5 course handicap is one stroke different from a 4.9 index converted to a 6 course handicap... as you say, due to rounding... and then 80% of the one-stroke diffence rounds to one... I guess I could see that happening but the poster should have been clearer.
he got shortknocked! total travesty in the competitive club golf world lol
Old 08-28-2020, 08:58 AM   #2349

Quote:
How can 4.9 be a 6?

If you have the GHIN app you can lookup the course handicap for you and your competitor for the course and tees that you are playing... I suspect that you then take 80% of the course handicaps, rounded and take the difference.

But are you really complaining so much about 1 stroke? If you lost 3&1 then he had you dormie after 16, right? It sounds like either you had an off day or he had a good day and you likely would have lost anyway.... just congratulate him and move on.
A 4.9 could be any course handicap depending on the course rating and slope. In this case, it was a 6, while 4.5 was a 5. I understand the USGA Handicap Rules and why he gets a stroke.

But I thought a handicap system designed to make things more equitable actually making them less so in this instance, was a good subject for a rant.

Why not use difference in indexes rather than converting indexes to handicaps before determining strokes in a match?

And yes, I definitely lost because of my play, not the stroke. All I can do is smile and move on. I guess I’ll just go directly to the USGA in an attempt to effect change and have justice in the future.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #2350
Give me a forum ...

I get it... if you had just added "course handicap" after 5 and 6 then it would have been clear.... I'm very familiar with course handicaps... they can also vary based on different tees at the same course.

The index is the "base" and is determined based on all the scores that you post at different courses and different tees... that is why you specify courses and tees when you post scores. The commensurate adjustments are made to the index to get an appropriate handicap for the course and tees that you are playing based on the course/tee ratings.

It looks like in your case the rounding just work against you... it happens.

Old 08-28-2020, 10:37 PM   #2351

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
A 4.9 could be any course handicap depending on the course rating and slope. In this case, it was a 6, while 4.5 was a 5. I understand the USGA Handicap Rules and why he gets a stroke.

But I thought a handicap system designed to make things more equitable actually making them less so in this instance, was a good subject for a rant.

Why not use difference in indexes rather than converting indexes to handicaps before determining strokes in a match?

And yes, I definitely lost because of my play, not the stroke. All I can do is smile and move on. I guess I’ll just go directly to the USGA in an attempt to effect change and have justice in the future.
Hey Friend-

As I recall, you have a “Club Champion” plaque on the door of your personal locker; and I imagine it’s still there. Pretty easy to take some solace in that eh? Nice round anyway.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:59 AM   #2352
Give me a forum ...

We often complain about bad service, but rarely mention outstanding service. As this is golf-related, Here is my tale of what I consider outstanding service.

2 years ago I purchased a Sun Mountain Reflex Push-Pull Golf cart. A combination of a sale and gift cards allowed me to buy it at a very good price. I have enjoyed using it, and use it frequently as I play several times a week (even during the winter) and prefer to walk the course with it.

About a month after courses opened up again after the local lockdown, I noticed one of the cart handle caps missing. I do not recall when it came off. The handle was also loose, as is it might come out. I have been careful not to put too much pressure on that handle.

I checked their website, but they do not make that cart model anymore, and no parts for that model were listed. I wrote them in late June, asking where can I get a parts list for the cart. About a week later they responded that due to the current "shelter in place" order in Montana, they had a reduced staff and a response could take weeks. Fine, I am patient in these times.

I in fact forgot about it until I received a response the beginning of August. They apologized for the delay, confirmed that the cart was no longer being manufactured but they had a few part lefts. If I sent them pictures of the issue they would see what they could do. So I sent in the pictures of the handle issue.

Tuesday I heard back from them. They are sending a replacement cap, which should stabilize the current handle. They are also sending not one, but TWO replacement handle kits, for "just in case". Everything is free of charge. I should be receiving them by Saturday.

I call that outstanding service.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #2353
Give me a forum ...

^ Thanks for sharing that.

I think I posted at the time, but Callaway replaced my Rogue driver when a TINY hairline crack appeared on the crown almost 18 months after I bought it - from normal use (no abuse whatsoever). Took about 10 days, during which I teed off with my 3W. I was expecting to have to buy a new driver or face a significant $ repair cost - so I was pleasantly surprised. I am not a big Callaway fan, but they certainly stepped up in my case.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 09-06-2020, 07:09 AM   #2354
Give me a forum ...

It happens to the best of us. Rory tops one.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1302363912097206272

Old 09-06-2020, 08:26 AM   #2355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Saw that, surprising. Wish I did it as infrequently as Rory

Old 09-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #2356

Quote:

Hitting out of that kind of rough, I wasn't all that surprised.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #2357

Quote:

Hitting out of that kind of gnarly rough, I wasn't all that surprised.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #2358
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Hitting out of that kind of rough, I wasn't all that surprised.
A couple of the long drivers have landed there Fri & Sat (incl DJ & Thomas IIRC), in rough with a downhill lie and a 200+ approach, and I've been telling my wife what a tricky shot that is. I finally showed her what happens if you're not careful thanks to Rory...

Apocalypse Golf!
Old 09-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #2359

Apocalypse Golf!

Apocalypse Golf...coming to a West Coast town near you!

Crystal Springs golf course @ 1pm. The phone camera lightens it up a bit; like TV cameras on TV. We literally could not see most of our drives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7632F2F-26A5-456E-982E-5B2740BB398D.jpg (192.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-10-2020, 07:29 AM   #2360
Give me a forum ...

That’s awful. Hope the situation improves sooner rather than later, and there are viable longer term actions to reduce the incidence.

Closed Thread