Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 4.9 could be any course handicap depending on the course rating and slope. In this case, it was a 6, while 4.5 was a 5. I understand the USGA Handicap Rules and why he gets a stroke.

But I thought a handicap system designed to make things more equitable actually making them less so in this instance, was a good subject for a rant.

Why not use difference in indexes rather than converting indexes to handicaps before determining strokes in a match?

And yes, I definitely lost because of my play, not the stroke. All I can do is smile and move on. I guess I’ll just go directly to the USGA in an attempt to effect change and have justice in the future.

Hey Friend-

As I recall, you have a “Club Champion” plaque on the door of your personal locker; and I imagine it’s still there. Pretty easy to take some solace in that eh? Nice round anyway.

We often complain about bad service, but rarely mention outstanding service. As this is golf-related, Here is my tale of what I consider outstanding service.

2 years ago I purchased a Sun Mountain Reflex Push-Pull Golf cart. A combination of a sale and gift cards allowed me to buy it at a very good price. I have enjoyed using it, and use it frequently as I play several times a week (even during the winter) and prefer to walk the course with it.

About a month after courses opened up again after the local lockdown, I noticed one of the cart handle caps missing. I do not recall when it came off. The handle was also loose, as is it might come out. I have been careful not to put too much pressure on that handle.

I checked their website, but they do not make that cart model anymore, and no parts for that model were listed. I wrote them in late June, asking where can I get a parts list for the cart. About a week later they responded that due to the current "shelter in place" order in Montana, they had a reduced staff and a response could take weeks. Fine, I am patient in these times.

I in fact forgot about it until I received a response the beginning of August. They apologized for the delay, confirmed that the cart was no longer being manufactured but they had a few part lefts. If I sent them pictures of the issue they would see what they could do. So I sent in the pictures of the handle issue.

Tuesday I heard back from them. They are sending a replacement cap, which should stabilize the current handle. They are also sending not one, but TWO replacement handle kits, for "just in case". Everything is free of charge. I should be receiving them by Saturday.

I call that outstanding service.

^ Thanks for sharing that.

I think I posted at the time, but Callaway replaced my Rogue driver when a TINY hairline crack appeared on the crown almost 18 months after I bought it - from normal use (no abuse whatsoever). Took about 10 days, during which I teed off with my 3W. I was expecting to have to buy a new driver or face a significant $ repair cost - so I was pleasantly surprised. I am not a big Callaway fan, but they certainly stepped up in my case.

Hitting out of that kind of rough, I wasn't all that surprised.
A couple of the long drivers have landed there Fri & Sat (incl DJ & Thomas IIRC), in rough with a downhill lie and a 200+ approach, and I've been telling my wife what a tricky shot that is. I finally showed her what happens if you're not careful thanks to Rory...

Apocalypse Golf!

Apocalypse Golf...coming to a West Coast town near you! :eek:

Crystal Springs golf course @ 1pm. The phone camera lightens it up a bit; like TV cameras on TV. We literally could not see most of our drives.

Attachments

• A7632F2F-26A5-456E-982E-5B2740BB398D.jpg
    A7632F2F-26A5-456E-982E-5B2740BB398D.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 12
That’s awful. Hope the situation improves sooner rather than later, and there are viable longer term actions to reduce the incidence.

Apocalypse Golf...coming to a West Coast town near you! :eek:

Crystal Springs golf course @ 1pm. The phone camera lightens it up a bit; like TV cameras on TV. We literally could not see most of our drives.

I played Poppy Ridge yesterday and just like you I couldn't see the ball most of the time. Creepy.

Well, I am so excited to stop having to place this thread on 'Ignore,' because as of two lessons and four visits to the driving range ago, I am now possibly on the brink of being a golfer.

Speaking of which - Is there a timeline for admission? What might it be if so? Inquiring minds and all that. :).

Well, I am so excited to stop having to place this thread on 'Ignore,' because as of two lessons and four visits to the driving range ago, I am now possibly on the brink of being a golfer.

Speaking of which - Is there a timeline for admission? What might it be if so? Inquiring minds and all that. :).

Welcome Elizabeth!

Once you’ve had a little taste (of golf) you’ll almost certainly come back for more. Keep us updated on your progress.

Welcome Elizabeth!

Once you’ve had a little taste (of golf) you’ll almost certainly come back for more. Keep us updated on your progress.

As of Lesson #2, and Driving Range practice #3, pretty sure I'm addicted. That is the point at which my swing began to feel as if it was being driven by my hips, and I started consistently connecting with ball. What a thrill.

Two lessons to go in our Beginners package, then our instructor has assured us we'll be ready to transition over to a nearby, easy par 3, nine hole course.

Our thinking is we'll plug away at the nine hole course until it begins to feel 'easy' then return for another round of lessons before attempting to transition to a harder course.

EDIT: To the group at large: Does that appear to sound about right with regard to progressing?

Last edited:
As of Lesson #2, and Driving Range practice #3, pretty sure I'm addicted. That is the point at which my swing began to feel as if it was being driven by my hips, and I started consistently connecting with ball. What a thrill.

Two lessons to go in our Beginners package, then our instructor has assured us we'll be ready to transition over to a nearby, easy par 3, nine hole course.

Our thinking is we'll plug away at the nine hole course until it begins to feel 'easy' then return for another round of lessons before attempting to transition to a harder course.

Does that appear to sound about right with regard to progressing?
Nothing wrong with the progression. I'd be anxious to try out a longer course sooner to use all the clubs, especially a driver - but you'll make that step when you're comfortable. There isn't a decent par 3 course where I live, it would be a nice option. Welcome to golf, a great game and source of endless satisfaction and disappointment to even the best players.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the progression. I'd be anxious to try out a longer course sooner to use all the clubs, specifically a driver - but you'll make that step when you're comfortable. Welcome to golf, a great game and source of endless satisfaction and disappointment to even the best players.

Trying to find that happy medium between progressing vs. annoying the better-than-us golfers we are sure to be around for some good time to come! :LOL:

Trying to find that happy medium between progressing vs. annoying the better-than-us golfers we are sure to be around for some good time to come! :LOL:
Some better players get annoyed with beginners, but most players I know are understanding - we were all beginners at one time. Just avoid crowded times like weekends or leagues during the week and you should be fine on any course.

Perhaps this story will encourage you to get out and play. :)

DW and I started out at driving ranges. We did this for several months. We were too nervous about going onto a course for the same reason as you (In addition, I had bad memories of the only other time I tried golfing years ago when I was 21 - no lefty golf clubs to rent and a general "attitude" directed towards me as a minority back then).

We took a vacation at a state park that also had a public golf course. When we purchase balls for the driving range, the folks in the pro shop asked if we wanted to sign up for a round. We said no, we have never played golf, we were too embarrassed and did not want to get in anyone way. They encouraged us, saying everyone started out as a beginner. Before we left, they said if we wanted to play a round while we were there, they would only charge us $10 total as beginners - including cart fee and 2 sets of rental clubs.

So... the next day we went out. Yes, we were slow, But, we just let everyone who came us behind us play through. We would say we were slow, this is our first time out - and EVERYONE was kind and encouraged us. We actually caught up to one couple who invited us to play with them on the last 3 holes, and they were very patient and encouraging.

Later that evening, at the state park lodge we were staying at, we ran into several of the groups we let play through. All of them talked us again for letting them play through. One group evening invited us to join them golfing the next day. We had a conflict so could not. But it gave us a good feeling and confidence on continuing to play golf.

Now, when I encounter beginners on the course, I also am patient and encourage them. Several times I have been paired up with beginning golfers, which is fine by me. Them seeing the mistakes I make after years of golfing probably encourages them to be better than me. :D

^^^ My favorite tournament of the year by far. It’ll be different this year in Nov instead of April, and without fans, but I still expect to enjoy it on TV like any other year. I’ve got my pimento cheese ready to convert to sandwiches while I watch.

^^^ My favorite tournament of the year by far. It’ll be different this year in Nov instead of April, and without fans, but I still expect to enjoy it on TV like any other year. I’ve got my pimento cheese ready to convert to sandwiches while I watch.

+1 Go Tiger !

Yup, taping every round and often have it on in background doing other things until something interesting happens.... I'll probably watch the entire final round.

I fondly recall one spring where DW was hobbled by knee surgury and my DGM was injured and staying with us and we all sat down on Sunday afternoon and watched the final round of the Masters.

Definitely my favorite major... though I hope that someday I win the lottery to buy tickets... but given covid thoe hop are dim at least in the near term.

WhenIsItTime,

I put together a Dura-Pro 10x10x10 golf cage with a 3' x 5' Ultimate Monster Tee Golf Turf mat. I also purchased a SkyTrak launch monitor. I am lucky to have a garage with an extra bay.

All in all I have loved the cage and mat. I have had some issues with network connectivity to the SkyTrak and really only use the practice range and not the golf course simulations. In fact, I rarely use it. I will probably not renew the game improvement package for the coming year. I believe that the 'Basic" unit comes with the driving range software which is all that I use.

I bought the cage and mat thru Amazon.

https://www.dwquailgolf.com/dura-pro-high-velocity-supreme-commercial-golf-cage-10x10x10/

https://www.allturfmats.com/product-p/3x5ttgolf-atm.htm

I love being able to go into the garage rain or shine and hit balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom