Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-27-2022, 01:29 PM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Want to lower your scores? Seems to be a correlation between pace of play and score, faster pace...lower scores. Our regular group walks and plays in ~3hrs., I'd probably give up golf if it took >4hrs on a regular basis at my home course, I expect long rounds when traveling and playing at resort courses.
https://www.arccosgolf.com/blogs/com...zi7M%3D.NNAW3e
Interesting and I'm with you re slow play being painful. But, which causes which? Wouldn't poor play cause slower play?
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2022, 01:36 PM   #262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Want to lower your scores? Seems to be a correlation between pace of play and score, faster pace...lower scores. Our regular group walks and plays in ~3hrs., I'd probably give up golf if it took >4hrs on a regular basis at my home course, I expect long rounds when traveling and playing at resort courses.
I don't doubt it, but it won't change the league I am in - a few people slow most of us down. Fortunately the league admin who does the scheduling puts the slow players (most know who they are) at the end so we don't have to put up with it on course. But we still all have to wait 30-45 minutes after play for payouts. We have a 3-4 handicap players in our league, but they're NOT the problem, they all play at a respectable pace even though they're all older high HI players. You would think that would shame our able bodied slow pokes, but no...they're oblivious!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:10 PM   #263
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Interesting and I'm with you re slow play being painful. But, which causes which? Wouldn't poor play cause slower play?
Sometimes but not always. Some people are just slow, whether it's golf or tying their shoes.

Unless it's a tricky situation, I know what club I'll be using as soon as I get to my ball. Sometimes even well before I get to it. I only take a practice swing if the ball is above or below my feet so that I can adjust my stance. Otherwise I just set up and swing. From start to finish it's probably 15 seconds.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:54 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
We have many players at our club with +20 handicaps that have no problem finishing in 3-3.5 hours. In fact some of the slowest groups are the weekend matches where the low handicappers play for money. This is my partial list at what causes slow play:
Not being ready to hit when it's your turn.
Not playing ready golf.
Overthinking.
Talking when it's your turn to hit.
Too many practice swings.
Trying to imitate the pros on the greens.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:04 PM   #265
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We have many players at our club with +20 handicaps that have no problem finishing in 3-3.5 hours. In fact some of the slowest groups are the weekend matches where the low handicappers play for money. This is my partial list at what causes slow play:
Not playing ready golf.
Overthinking.
A few years ago I stopped playing with a couple guys from work. They're great guys but I got tired of 5 hour rounds and letting group after group pass us.

A 30 second pre-shot routine x 90 - 100 shots is 45 - 50 minutes. Times two people
Putting
Old 01-29-2022, 01:35 PM   #266

Putting

What is your putting routine?

Searching for the Magical Putting game, I recently changed back to an old putter then putted terribly. Tried regular grip, then left hand low. Still no magic. Three rounds of missing three footers. Ugh. One of the guys I play with mentioned the Pros make like 98% of three footers. I felt like I was making tribute to recently deceased Meatloaf, where two out of three ain't bad. Finally went back to my usual putter with left hand low. In a round and a half I felt comfortable and putted well again.

Keys that helped "get back":
Eyes over the ball (I think the other putter got me to set up with eyes inside the ball).
On short putts, pick a spot in the back of the hole (or side of the pin).

As usual, follow Dave Pelz advice about proper speed (putts finish 18" past the hole). If you haven't read his Putt Like the Pros, it's worth a read. I remember playing tournaments and watching my "die at the hole" short putts always missing, dying to the either side of the hole. Then I read his "lumpy donut" explanation and started hitting proper speed and I improved immensely.

Left hand low seems to be much more reliable, especially on short putts. When I putt well, I feel my right hand is making the stroke/speed, while the left hand low keeps the putterhead on line.

What makes you a great putter?
Old 01-29-2022, 02:28 PM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not playing ready golf.
Overthinking.
You left off "spending too much time looking for golf balls" - either their own, or they decide they are on a "finder's mission".

If slow players realize they are slow and let other groups through, that is not a problem. When DW and I first started playing that was my #1 rule - if anyone even looks like they are waiting on us, we let them play through. But, particularly on the weekends, there are slow groups who do not think of letting others play through. On courses without a marshall, it can get "interesting" .
Old 01-29-2022, 02:52 PM   #268
Give me a forum ...

My favourite is when someone hits a 60-yard slice that clears the trees in the air and then they start looking along the tree line or 5 feet in thinking that they'll find their ball. The fact that it didn't even hit a tree until it had gone 40 or 50 feet over the top of the trees before hitting them never seems to register.

I make a token effort to look if my ball rolls into the trees, but only if I think it's findable. I give it 10 or 20 seconds at most then I just drop another ball, most often I just walk or drive along the trees and if I don't see it that's as much effort as I'll make. If it clears the trees in the air I just drop another ball.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:03 PM   #269
Full time employment: Posting here.

New to this thread. Just retired and have some free time, but live in the icy north. Any suggestions on off-season routines? I'm sure I can find a golf dome in the area. I'm a hack (shoot +/- 100) and would like to improve my game.
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:40 PM   #270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3656 View Post
New to this thread. Just retired and have some free time, but live in the icy north. Any suggestions on off-season routines? I'm sure I can find a golf dome in the area. I'm a hack (shoot +/- 100) and would like to improve my game.
Take some lessons. Most golf pros offer winter lessons and have access to either a simulator or a golf dome. One advantage is that you don't "ruin" a lesson by playing and reverting to old habits to get through the round.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:29 PM   #271

Quote:
Get Hogan’s Fundamentals book. You can spend the Winter on Grip and Posture.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:59 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a putting machine (one that returns the balls to me) and I practice putting on the carpet in my house. Seems to help.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #273

Anyone ever try the PowerStick? Training aid to increase lag. Just got email for $20 off the $99 price.
gcgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 04:41 PM   #274
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
See if you can find a 2 or 3 day golf school. They will focus on all aspects of the game and you'll hit a lot of balls under instruction in the 2-3 days, probably have video of your swing, time out on the course covering course management, etc.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:18 PM   #275

I guess golf probably isn't a big topic while the Super Bowl is taking place but attended the WM Open in Phoenix on Thurs/Fri after several years of not attending. I doubt there are any other golf tournaments like it, basically it's a big drunken party that happens to have a golf tournament take place at the same time and location. I also doubt if most of the people attending play golf or care about golf. It used to be that most of the partying took place inside the 16th hole stadium, and you could easily avoid it but not anymore, just not enough room on that one hole to hold them all. I actually enjoy watching it on TV but in person it's a whole different experience, won't be going back anytime soon.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:52 PM   #276

I find that putting well or not has to do with confidence. I played the worst round in recent memory last Wednesday and had 40+ putts. First hole, shotgun format, par 3 hole 16, got it on the green and 5 putts. I had been having putting issues and worked on it alot, so much so that I froze on Wednesday, aka putting yips.

I came home and told my husband that I was giving up golf. On Thursday, I refused to practice putting before my round and my putting was back to almost normal. Today, I did not practice putting before the Sweetheart Tournament at the club and we won. I was putting lights out. I swear, putting is about keeping it simple. The more we stress over it the worse it gets.
RetiredHappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:07 AM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post

What makes you a great putter?
Touch, ability to read greens and nerves of steel for those testy three footers.

Poor putting will make or break your ability to go low.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:41 AM   #278
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
I swear, putting is about keeping it simple. The more we stress over it the worse it gets.
After green reading and alignment (both crucial), I agree the mechanics of putting are about keeping it simple. I’m not a great putter but I putt best if I am
  • totally relaxed,
  • start my swing with my shoulders (no wrists), and
  • I use backswing length to alter distance (vs “hit it harder/softer”).
If my wrists get involved I pull or push. And if I tell myself to ‘hit it harder or softer’, I will hit it too long or short - the same tempo with shorter or longer backswing works better for me.

And a recent discovery. I’ve used a mid sized putter grip for 4 years. I trialed two putters over the weekend with old school “pistolini” grips, felt horrible and my alignment was awful. I couldn’t get putts started on my intended line at all. I’ll probably never go back to a putter with a skinny grip…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:45 AM   #279
Give me a forum ...

For putting--practice, practice, practice. I have one of those indoor putting machines that sends the ball back to you. On days I don't play I try to practice 10-15 minutes on the putting green or in my house. I am a good putter and almost always win low puts in tournaments.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:27 AM   #280
Give me a forum ...

Unless I'm within 5', I don't expect putts to go in, for me, victory is leaving the next put within 1-2' and preferably tap-in range.

What kills a lot of golfers is missing the twenty-footer and having a 3' comebacker.

Speaking of which, I saw Jordan Spieth botch a bunny putt yesterday... seems like it was a combination of him rushing to finish the hole and an awkward stance to not step in another player's line.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote