Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-04-2022, 05:25 PM   #321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am familiar with Chimera as we live up the road in Lake Las Vegas and have played there 50 times or so over the years. Chimera is a good course with moderate level of difficulty, several par 4s are fairly short. Many of the greens are up on a plateau. Good people and course is well maintained. Driving range is the shits...
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2022, 04:13 PM   #322
Dryer sheet wannabe

Our foursome all in the 70s today. Perfect Nashville weather, and a few birdies.

Ken
klec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:34 PM   #323

Looks like the PGA Tour put the hammer down by not allowing any releases to the first tournament in London next month for the new LIV golf league. Will be curious to see which players go anyways and risk losing their membership on the PGA Tour. Lots of money being handed out, has to be tempting. Seems like a few older well known European players are committed to LIV, no big surprise there, not really sure where the European Tour stands. Pretty sure lawyers will be getting involved but that's usually very time consuming.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:20 AM   #324

I don't see the business model of the LIV being sustainable for the sole reason it won't garner much attention. Yes it may buy the Saudis some much needed short lived respectability but if you want to watch a bunch of old has beens and second tier players, there is always the Seniors and Korn Ferry.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #325
Recycles dryer sheets

Got to practice my walking scorer skills (ha!) with Jordan Speith and Dustin Johnson at the PGA practice rounds. They were very loose and having fun. Jordan provided a ton of autographs, although the requests were endless
Dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:15 PM   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwhit View Post
Got to practice my walking scorer skills (ha!) with Jordan Speith and Dustin Johnson at the PGA practice rounds. They were very loose and having fun. Jordan provided a ton of autographs, although the requests were endless
It's been a while but I've been a walking scorer several times at the PGA Tour Q-school finals, back when they were playing for spots on the PGA Tour. I enjoyed it, definitely get an up close view of the action that you don't get as a spectator.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:18 AM   #327

And in other news looks like Norman may be on his way out of the LIV CEO job soon, or so rumors have it.

OK sports fans, who is going to win the PGA this weekend ?
Old 05-19-2022, 06:19 AM   #328
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
And in other news looks like Norman may be on his way out of the LIV CEO job soon, or so rumors have it.

OK sports fans, who is going to win the PGA this weekend ?
At this point I agree with Rory. Tired of hearing about it, everyone (players) should make their choice and get on with it - come what may. I won’t watch LIV period.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:39 PM   #329
Give me a forum ...

JUSTIN THOMAS!!!

From 7 back, amazing.

Old 05-22-2022, 06:36 PM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
JUSTIN THOMAS!!!

From 7 back, amazing.
JT is one of my favorite players, congrats to him. His shot on the second play off hole was so great.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #331

Well it's official, Phil has gone over to the dark side.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:19 AM   #332
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Well it's official, Phil has gone over to the dark side.
Along with DJ and Rickie. I could care less about LIV, and it's sad to see PGA pros defect to a startup league funded by the Saudis - all about the money and willing to overlook anything/everything else. Mostly has beens and no names.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:23 AM   #333
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Along with DJ and Rickie. I could care less about LIV, and it's sad to see PGA pros defect to a startup league funded by the Saudis - all about the money and willing to overlook anything/everything else. Mostly has beens and no names.
And Kevin Na. I agree, its going to be mostly has-beens and no-names and will not be the best golfers on the planet. It'll die out in a couple years.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:49 AM   #334
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
And Kevin Na. I agree, its going to be mostly has-beens and no-names and will not be the best golfers on the planet. It'll die out in a couple years.
That's an interesting take. Tiger is now firmly in the has been group but gets most eyes on TV. Phil always gets eyeballs as well. Na has actually made 28 million dollars on the tour. In fact PGA has turned very elitist with certain favorite golfers they promote. I'm looking for Patrick Reed to jump ship as PGA and golf tv talk down about him constantly. Bryson is being mentioned frequently.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:58 AM   #335
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
That's an interesting take. Tiger is now firmly in the has been group but gets most eyes on TV. Phil always gets eyeballs as well. Na has actually made 28 million dollars on the tour. In fact PGA has turned very elitist with certain favorite golfers they promote. I'm looking for Patrick Reed to jump ship as PGA and golf tv talk down about him constantly. Bryson is being mentioned frequently.
I'm not a big Tiger fan but you can't equate Tiger to anyone else, he's not just another "has been" - he was a transformational player, maybe the most ever so far. Phil wasn't even close to Tiger's impact even back when people only knew Phil's well crafted persona (now they know a lot more), no one has ever attracted crowds like Tiger.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:59 AM   #336
Full time employment: Posting here.

it's going to be interesting to see if DJ is allowed into Presidents cup. Was just on ESPN Golf standings section. No DJ in Prez standings but is in Ryder cup standing.....
f35phixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:06 AM   #337
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
it's going to be interesting to see if DJ is allowed into Presidents cup. Was just on ESPN Golf standings section. No DJ in Prez standings but is in Ryder cup standing.....
Both of those things are made up TV crap anyway. Players are forced to act like they care because it's draped in "patriotism " You have to be in the in group as well, Bubba and Patrick Reed are living proof
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:08 AM   #338
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
I don't think we know yet, but that doesn't stop the talking heads from speculating.
Quote:
That is despite the fact that it likely means Johnson won’t be able to play in the Presidents Cup or Ryder Cup, and his status for the major championships remains murky, with no official word from the majors' governing organizations.
https://www.si.com/golf/news/dustin-...der-cup-status

Old 06-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #339
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Both of those things are made up TV crap anyway. Players are forced to act like they care because it's draped in "patriotism " You have to be in the in group as well, Bubba and Patrick Reed are living proof
ya i understand the major buildup for these two events. I still love to watch, every two years isn't bad....
f35phixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:54 AM   #340
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... no one has ever attracted crowds like Tiger.
+1 I've seen it personally. We were at a rare Monday finish to the Farmers about 10 years ago and DW and I went since we were in the area. We camped out at one of the holes and watched various groups going through. When Tiger played that hole there was a proverbial sea of people coming up the hole and relatively quiet before and after Tiger.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote