Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1) yes
2) pros - generally really fast pace of play and the course is almost always in top shape. I also live about 1/4 mile from the club and have my own cart. cons - price - some people say you get bored playing the same course all the time but my home course is so hard all you have to do is change tees
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm 63 and over the last couple of years I started to loose distance with my irons. I play with Mizuno MP 64, stiff steel shaft. I lost about 10 to 15 yards per club.

A couple of months ago I played with someone playing Mizuno JPX919 irons. He was a very solid player (about 5 hdcp) and still played with game improvement irons. On one hole I hit my 6 iron (short par 4, layup) and he let me hit his 6 iron. I went about 20 yards farther. I ordered a set of JPX921 Hot Metal Tour irons with regular flex and graphite shafts. I got all my distance back and then some. I understand that part of it is due to longer shafts and stronger lofts, but it's nice to have my distance back.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:57 AM   #103
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yes, two memberships

Pros: membership 1 is a country club membership our home town. The course is very near our home so we can be on the course 5 minutes after leaving our driveway. There is a use it or lose it, but the club has an excellent chef and we really enjoy the atmosphere so we never have a problem meeting it. Often we can walk on and feel like we have the whole course to ourselves although this past year has been very busy (the best thing to happen to golf was COVID, according to our pro). We really enjoy many of the social aspects of CC membership. Membership 2 is seasonal at a public club in Phoenix. We play often so buying the membership saves $$ over the long run. We get advance tee times and discounts in the restaurant and pro shop. Cons: the CC is pricey. The Phoenix membership ties us down to one course a bit, a definite drawback since there are so many great courses in the area.
Winenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:27 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

I thought you'd all be here talking about Mr ..Phil..but I guess I was wrong
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #105
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I thought you'd all be here talking about Mr ..Phil..but I guess I was wrong

I’m watching it, and pulling for Phil. He’s off to a rough start today. ☹️

We played the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island a few years ago. Beautiful but tough course.
Winenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winenot View Post
I’m watching it, and pulling for Phil. He’s off to a rough start today. ☹️

We played the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island a few years ago. Beautiful but tough course.
ATM Brooks looks more nervous then Phil
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

I'm watching it too. Definitely a roller coaster day so far for the last group.

I'm a fan of both Brooks and Phil so if either one of them wins I won't be disappointed. I'd like to see it close on 18 tee.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Fun watching. They’re walking to #10 tee now, and the back nine is brutal, so anything could happen…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:05 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Up by 4 with 8 holes to go... looking good for the old guy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:04 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Who was it in the second round that was on the 14th tee @ -3 and walked off the 18th green +10. Not that these guys are going to do that....
Old 05-23-2021, 05:33 PM   #111

Congratulations Phil. Thanks to this thread. It reminded me to watch. Glad I did.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:44 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Enjoyed watching it. I kept waiting for Phil to hit a couple of wild drives but never too bad today. Much more under control this week. Congrats to Phil!
Old 05-23-2021, 05:50 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Very impressive win for Phil at almost age 51 plus he has the same disease as my DH (psoriatic arthritis) and at one time almost had to give up golf. Perseverance. An inspiration for everyone with a chronic disease.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:56 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Who was it in the second round that was on the 14th tee @ -3 and walked off the 18th green +10. Not that these guys are going to do that....
Tringale…

I didn’t think Phil would win again on the tour, much less a major, but good for him. He hasn’t had a decent finish this year, but he’s worked very hard on his fitness and game, and put it all together for four days again on a punishing course. And a new record, oldest major winner, to add to his resume. His former caddy said Phil’s ability to flight the ball served him well with all the wind at Kiawah, makes sense as playing in high winds is a different skill and some tour pros aren’t as proficient at it.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:02 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

I liked catching the discussion between Phil and his caddy (his brother?) on a couple of the holes on the back nine. On one of them he seemed really worried about rolling over the green, but the caddy stuck to his advice, citing the wind and other things. He hit it almost pin high. Really neat sequence.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
1. Do you have a Golf Club membership? Yes/No
2. What do you think the Pros/Cons of membership are?

1. Yes

2. Pros - it cuts the cost of golf at the course by more than half. For the last year, my average cost for a round was $9.00 vs. $20.00 (including times when I paid extra for a cart). I can decide to play on the spur of the moment, without having to book a tee time. I can start play on nice days before the course "officially" opens if I choose to walk (which I prefer). You get to know the staff very well, which provides additional benefits.

Cons - I cannot think of any. True, you play the same course a lot. But the way I look at, it is a substitute for the driving range. Some rounds I play as a "driving range", not keeping score but as a practice. On light days at times (and being retired it is easy to figure out), I can get additional practice by playing two balls, and/or playing one tee back which gets me to use additional clubs (and also varies how the course is played).
Old 05-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

I always liked Phil and still do mostly but I lost a lot of respect for him when he complained about his tax rate several years ago. I'm still happy for him but I don't like him as much anymore.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:09 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I liked catching the discussion between Phil and his caddy (his brother?) on a couple of the holes on the back nine. On one of them he seemed really worried about rolling over the green, but the caddy stuck to his advice, citing the wind and other things. He hit it almost pin high. Really neat sequence.
In his speech after the win Phil thanked his brother who has been caddying for him.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:04 AM   #119
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So glad to see Lefty win it playing his usual exciting game. Would love to see him capture the grand slam, no one is more deserving.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:18 PM   #120
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’ve been planning some golf trips and, through mostly serendipity, it looks like I will be taking three golf trips in the month of September. So, I’ll spend 20 days in September golfing or traveling to/from golf. First to Kiawah, second to Copper Valley, CA and, third to St George/Vegas. [emoji106]

Hope my body holds up. [emoji848]
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote