Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've never played real Links golf, but need to plan Scotland before I can't walk it.

After playing Maui CC the last 3 years, where some of the best windsurfing occurs over the berm and thru the thicket 100 yards away, I'd look forward to trying to "flight" shots wrestling with both the wind and the bouncing turf.

At MCC on an above average wind day I'll hit 5 iron, which I normally hit 180, on a 135 yd par 3. Very gratifying shot to execute. Fun watching the good guys who grew up here play it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #182

I belonged to a link style course for about five years and it improved my game immensely. Golf is a game of accuracy and aiming/shooting at a target area not just swinging and trying to see how far you can hit the ball. When you know your yardage and confident that you can hit a certain area consistently it improves your game. Most US courses reward length more so than accuracy. I don't think the founders of the game would approve that power was more important than accuracy and strategy. Just my two cents.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
I've never played real Links golf, but need to plan Scotland before I can't walk it.
You don't have to go that far. Bandon Dunes, Oregon (~5hr drive from Portland) is links golf heaven. I've only been there once, a 4-day/6-round trip but, it was wonderful. We went in May (shoulder season for rates) & were blessed with great weather.

The weather is similar to Scotland too; windy and cool, often grey. So, the rates for golf/lodging @ BD vary quite a bit throughout the year. I've talked to some guys here in the SF Bay area who play it every year in late November, because the rate is so low, and say they've never been kept off the course due to weather.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #184

Just finished reading 'The Masters: Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia'. An interesting read. Focus is more on the founders (Bobby Jones, Cliff Roberts, etc.) rather then a tournament highlight.
Paradise Valley
Old 12-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #185

Paradise Valley

Played Paradise Valley (the sister course to Rancho Solano) in Fairfield, CA yesterday. Teed off in the fog @ 915am, and it never cleared up; in fact, the fog turned into a light drizzle about Noon; never did see the sun.

However, this was an excellent course, and it's a great walking course. It's not too tight but, there is water and lots of bunkers to avoid so, you have to pay attention. With all the rain we've received recently (Yes, rain in NorCal!), the course played a bit long, and the greens were rolling slow (dew tracks after the drizzle started).

The staff is nice, and the facility is also nice. Good 19th hole and very nice practice facility, even though you hit from mats. Very accessible, right off I-80. I will return.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #186

Took another swing lesson this week. All these lessons better start paying off. Right now, "can't teach an old dog a new trick" phrase keeps going around my head.
Buddies Golf Trip
Old 12-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #187

Buddies Golf Trip

Would like to hear suggestions on great places for a buddies golf trip. The group I go with normally takes 8 in the Spring, although we've taken as few as 4, and have also taken a Fall trip. We typically play 6 rounds in 4 days.

What we're looking for is:
- A resort with multiple courses; at least 4 within 20-30 mins from lodging
- Lodging: prefer a large 4/5BR house that enables cards, socializing together each evening. But, have done the condo cluster & hotel room thing too.
- Walking distance to restaurants/bars and a practice facility is a plus.

Places we've already been:
- Kiawah
- Bandon Dunes
- St. George/Mesquite (Red Rock Golf Trail)
Old 12-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Took another swing lesson this week. All these lessons better start paying off. Right now, "can't teach an old dog a new trick" phrase keeps going around my head.
My most recent full swing lesson focused on avoiding leading wrist breakdown before impact. I was good with incorporating everything up until this most recent lesson but, this one is HARD!

I'm going to need a lot more practice on this before it's integrated into my swing. I can play well without it but, the price is a lot of distance and some consistency too.

My instructor has me working on my leading wrist with wedges first. I'm not 'flippy' but, my leading wrist breaks down now right at impact, even though my hands are a bit ahead of the ball at impact. So, I think there's lots of video practice in my future.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Would like to hear suggestions on great places for a buddies golf trip. The group I go with normally takes 8 in the Spring, although we've taken as few as 4, and have also taken a Fall trip. We typically play 6 rounds in 4 days.

What we're looking for is:
- A resort with multiple courses; at least 4 within 20-30 mins from lodging
- Lodging: prefer a large 4/5BR house that enables cards, socializing together each evening. But, have done the condo cluster & hotel room thing too.
- Walking distance to restaurants/bars and a practice facility is a plus.
Scottsdale AZ might be a good option for you. You'll have a great selection of golf courses within a 30 minute drive no matter where you stay in Scottsdale. Plenty of nice resorts (Kierland, Mariott Desert Ridge, Camelback, Talking Stick, Troon North, Boulders, etc.) to choose from or maybe rent a house through Airbnb/VBRO. If there in March it's MLB spring training season so if the group are also baseball fans you'll be able to catch a night game after golfing.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:34 PM   #190
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Also, Myrtle Beach. I've never played there myself but have some friends who go there regularly.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Scottsdale AZ might be a good option for you. You'll have a great selection of golf courses within a 30 minute drive no matter where you stay in Scottsdale. Plenty of nice resorts (Kierland, Mariott Desert Ridge, Camelback, Talking Stick, Troon North, Boulders, etc.) to choose from or maybe rent a house through Airbnb/VBRO. If there in March it's MLB spring training season so if the group are also baseball fans you'll be able to catch a night game after golfing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Also, Myrtle Beach. I've never played there myself but have some friends who go there regularly.
Thx for the suggestions fellas.

Zinger-Do you know of any stay & play packages offered in Scottsdale?

pb-I've thought about Myrtle Beach but, I don't know how to sort out the great courses from the 'meh' courses; other than to check GolfAdvisor reviews or something. Where do your friends play?
Old 12-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #192

Quote:
I've never used a stay and play package for Scottsdale, I live within driving distance and usually wing it when I visit. I find I get better golf rates through one of the online (teeoff, golfnow) reservation systems. Maybe look into Troon Golf (Experience Troon Golf Luxury Golf Courses) and see if they offer anything. They manage several golf courses in the Phoenix/Scottdale area and they are all quality courses, I've played most of them. You could definitely have a good golf trip just playing the Troon managed courses. It's not part of Troon but the TPC Scottsdale Stadium course should be on your list of places to play. January thru April is the peak visitors season in Phoenix/Scottsdale and it's reflected in the cost of lodging and golf.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #193

Quote:
Thx for the suggestions fellas.

pb-I've thought about Myrtle Beach but, I don't know how to sort out the great courses from the 'meh' courses; other than to check GolfAdvisor reviews or something. Where do your friends play?
There are a number of places that offer two to three bedroom villas. The Mccormick Scottsdale is one. Seems like there is another near the Princess but I can't remember the name. They will take care of everything as it relates to tee times, etc.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #194

Quote:
My most recent full swing lesson focused on avoiding leading wrist breakdown before impact. I was good with incorporating everything up until this most recent lesson but, this one is HARD!

I'm going to need a lot more practice on this before it's integrated into my swing. I can play well without it but, the price is a lot of distance and some consistency too.

My instructor has me working on my leading wrist with wedges first. I'm not 'flippy' but, my leading wrist breaks down now right at impact, even though my hands are a bit ahead of the ball at impact. So, I think there's lots of video practice in my future.
I've been working on it for 11 months. It has gotten much better - a lot less sky high iron shots these days. I found many of my swing flaws are interconnected. Working on this opened my eyes on other things I was doing wrong.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...a lot less sky high iron shots these days....
That was one of the eye-opening things about watching the pros play when we went to the Saturday session of President's Cup in Montreal a number of years ago... their approach shots are a much lower trajectory than I expected that they would be given what I see on tv and the shots I hit (which are not particularly high) but the have a lot more spin.

The pros are amazing. I've seen numerous situations where those guys were in a situation that it looked to me like they were "in jail" and they hit these amazing shots... not only onto the green but near to the pin.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been working on it for 11 months. It has gotten much better - a lot less sky high iron shots these days. I found many of my swing flaws are interconnected. Working on this opened my eyes on other things I was doing wrong.
I too have been fighting premature wrist breakdown.

Have you tried using an impact bag? It's helped me, a lot.

I think the key is to never stop rotating and keep the butt of the club pointed at the ball as long as you can.

I also watch this video often. Moving the hips and legs out first makes it difficult to stop the rotation.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #197

Quote:

Try the "pump" drill. Swing to full backswing, "pump" down to where your lead (left) arm is inside your left thigh, WITHOUT UNCOCKING YOUR WRISTS. club should point down target line, and be parallel to the ground. Repeat total of three "pumps", hit the (practice) ball on the fourth downswing.

I took first lesson in about ten years this summer. Pro said I was swinging 9 degrees in to out, causing looped drives and block rights. Also strengthened my grip. Pump drill has changed my swing path to be more down the line, and increased distance thru the better delayed release. But the "old" swing still mysteriously appears some days.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I too have been fighting premature wrist breakdown.

Have you tried using an impact bag? It's helped me, a lot.

I think the key is to never stop rotating and keep the butt of the club pointed at the ball as long as you can.
I don't flip when I hit impact bag. I only flip when I am hitting a 2nd shot into a green that goes high and land short in a green side bunker .

I found out in the last lesson that I lift my arm during back swing as I turn my shoulder instead of rotating my shoulder & arms in parallel.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #199
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post

After playing Maui CC the last 3 years, where some of the best windsurfing occurs over the berm and thru the thicket 100 yards away, I'd look forward to trying to "flight" shots wrestling with both the wind and the bouncing turf.

At MCC on an above average wind day I'll hit 5 iron, which I normally hit 180, on a 135 yd par 3. Very gratifying shot to execute. Fun watching the good guys who grew up here play it.
I'm going to second Bandon Dunes as a links trip. I've been there 3 times and it's nothing like any other golf course around.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #200
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Played Paradise Valley (the sister course to Rancho Solano) in Fairfield, CA yesterday. Teed off in the fog @ 915am, and it never cleared up; in fact, the fog turned into a light drizzle about Noon; never did see the sun.

However, this was an excellent course, and it's a great walking course. It's not too tight but, there is water and lots of bunkers to avoid so, you have to pay attention. With all the rain we've received recently (Yes, rain in NorCal!), the course played a bit long, and the greens were rolling slow (dew tracks after the drizzle started).

The staff is nice, and the facility is also nice. Good 19th hole and very nice practice facility, even though you hit from mats. Very accessible, right off I-80. I will return.
I've played Paradise Valley many times and I think it's a very good course. I played Rancho Salano for the first time this year and was impressed. It was better than I expected.
Closed Thread