Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2020, 07:53 AM   #2361
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Apocalypse Golf...coming to a West Coast town near you!

Crystal Springs golf course @ 1pm. The phone camera lightens it up a bit; like TV cameras on TV. We literally could not see most of our drives.
I played Poppy Ridge yesterday and just like you I couldn't see the ball most of the time. Creepy.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #2362
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I am so excited to stop having to place this thread on 'Ignore,' because as of two lessons and four visits to the driving range ago, I am now possibly on the brink of being a golfer.

Speaking of which - Is there a timeline for admission? What might it be if so? Inquiring minds and all that. .
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #2363
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Well, I am so excited to stop having to place this thread on 'Ignore,' because as of two lessons and four visits to the driving range ago, I am now possibly on the brink of being a golfer.

Speaking of which - Is there a timeline for admission? What might it be if so? Inquiring minds and all that. .
Welcome Elizabeth!

Once you’ve had a little taste (of golf) you’ll almost certainly come back for more. Keep us updated on your progress.

100% x 10% > 10% x 100%
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:34 AM   #2364
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Welcome Elizabeth!

Once you’ve had a little taste (of golf) you’ll almost certainly come back for more. Keep us updated on your progress.
As of Lesson #2, and Driving Range practice #3, pretty sure I'm addicted. That is the point at which my swing began to feel as if it was being driven by my hips, and I started consistently connecting with ball. What a thrill.

Two lessons to go in our Beginners package, then our instructor has assured us we'll be ready to transition over to a nearby, easy par 3, nine hole course.

Our thinking is we'll plug away at the nine hole course until it begins to feel 'easy' then return for another round of lessons before attempting to transition to a harder course.

EDIT: To the group at large: Does that appear to sound about right with regard to progressing?
Old 09-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #2365
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As of Lesson #2, and Driving Range practice #3, pretty sure I'm addicted. That is the point at which my swing began to feel as if it was being driven by my hips, and I started consistently connecting with ball. What a thrill.

Two lessons to go in our Beginners package, then our instructor has assured us we'll be ready to transition over to a nearby, easy par 3, nine hole course.

Our thinking is we'll plug away at the nine hole course until it begins to feel 'easy' then return for another round of lessons before attempting to transition to a harder course.

Does that appear to sound about right with regard to progressing?
Nothing wrong with the progression. I'd be anxious to try out a longer course sooner to use all the clubs, especially a driver - but you'll make that step when you're comfortable. There isn't a decent par 3 course where I live, it would be a nice option. Welcome to golf, a great game and source of endless satisfaction and disappointment to even the best players.

Target AA: 40% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #2366
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Nothing wrong with the progression. I'd be anxious to try out a longer course sooner to use all the clubs, specifically a driver - but you'll make that step when you're comfortable. Welcome to golf, a great game and source of endless satisfaction and disappointment to even the best players.
Trying to find that happy medium between progressing vs. annoying the better-than-us golfers we are sure to be around for some good time to come!
Old 09-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #2367
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Trying to find that happy medium between progressing vs. annoying the better-than-us golfers we are sure to be around for some good time to come!
Some better players get annoyed with beginners, but most players I know are understanding - we were all beginners at one time. Just avoid crowded times like weekends or leagues during the week and you should be fine on any course.

Target AA: 40% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:31 AM   #2368
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Perhaps this story will encourage you to get out and play.

DW and I started out at driving ranges. We did this for several months. We were too nervous about going onto a course for the same reason as you (In addition, I had bad memories of the only other time I tried golfing years ago when I was 21 - no lefty golf clubs to rent and a general "attitude" directed towards me as a minority back then).

We took a vacation at a state park that also had a public golf course. When we purchase balls for the driving range, the folks in the pro shop asked if we wanted to sign up for a round. We said no, we have never played golf, we were too embarrassed and did not want to get in anyone way. They encouraged us, saying everyone started out as a beginner. Before we left, they said if we wanted to play a round while we were there, they would only charge us $10 total as beginners - including cart fee and 2 sets of rental clubs.

So... the next day we went out. Yes, we were slow, But, we just let everyone who came us behind us play through. We would say we were slow, this is our first time out - and EVERYONE was kind and encouraged us. We actually caught up to one couple who invited us to play with them on the last 3 holes, and they were very patient and encouraging.

Later that evening, at the state park lodge we were staying at, we ran into several of the groups we let play through. All of them talked us again for letting them play through. One group evening invited us to join them golfing the next day. We had a conflict so could not. But it gave us a good feeling and confidence on continuing to play golf.

Now, when I encounter beginners on the course, I also am patient and encourage them. Several times I have been paired up with beginning golfers, which is fine by me. Them seeing the mistakes I make after years of golfing probably encourages them to be better than me.