Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #2381
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I’ve been considering new irons for a while; have been playing Adams IDEA a12 OS hybrid irons for several years. I like the Adams but, technology has improved so, I thought I’d trade up. I went to GolfTec (I’m a big fan) for an iron fitting and chose the Ping G710s. They were the clear winner. I don’t generate that much club head speed but, the G710s added 20 yds to my 7-iron; yep, 20 yds! I was amazed. And, the spin & decent angle are better, dispersion is the same, and I like the look and feel of them. Can’t wait to try them out but, I’m going to have to because Ping is very backed up, and is forecasting 12 wks delivery time. That actually might work out just fine; have me in new irons at the beginning of next year’s golf season. I bought GW-7 and will purchase the Ping G710 6-4 hybrid when they’re released next Spring. In the meantime, I’ll continue using my Adams 6-4 hybrids.

https://ping.com/en-us/clubs/irons/g710

Look up the loft of the 7 iron in each set. You mind find ~2 degree difference explaining the distance. That’s half a club interval. I’ve played 3 sets of TaylorMade game improvement irons over the past 15 years and their lofts have increased by this much. Another reason why many sets don’t include a 3 iron any more.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #2382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenIsItTime View Post
Look up the loft of the 7 iron in each set. You mind find ~2 degree difference explaining the distance. That’s half a club interval. I’ve played 3 sets of TaylorMade game improvement irons over the past 15 years and their lofts have increased by this much. Another reason why many sets don’t include a 3 iron any more.
I’m finding the IDEA a12 OS hybrid 7i loft spec is 32 degrees.
The Ping G710 7i loft is 29.5 degrees.
A little more than half a club?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 11-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #2383
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but for me each club is ~10 yards... so a 1/2 club less loft would only account for about 5 yards of additional distance and Huston said that he got 20 yards additional distance, so it seems like there is more than just loft involved.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-22-2020, 07:06 PM   #2384
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I’ve been considering new irons for a while; have been playing Adams IDEA a12 OS hybrid irons for several years. I like the Adams but, technology has improved so, I thought I’d trade up. I went to GolfTec (I’m a big fan) for an iron fitting and chose the Ping G710s. They were the clear winner. I don’t generate that much club head speed but, the G710s added 20 yds to my 7-iron; yep, 20 yds! I was amazed. And, the spin & decent angle are better, dispersion is the same, and I like the look and feel of them. Can’t wait to try them out but, I’m going to have to because Ping is very backed up, and is forecasting 12 wks delivery time. That actually might work out just fine; have me in new irons at the beginning of next year’s golf season. I bought GW-7 and will purchase the Ping G710 6-4 hybrid when they’re released next Spring. In the meantime, I’ll continue using my Adams 6-4 hybrids.

https://ping.com/en-us/clubs/irons/g710
I love those Adam's A12 os hybrids. I still play the 4 and 5h
Old 11-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #2385

Not sure how the facepalm got on my last post
Old 11-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #2386

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yeah, but for me each club is ~10 yards... so a 1/2 club less loft would only account for about 5 yards of additional distance and Huston said that he got 20 yards additional distance, so it seems like there is more than just loft involved.
Could be a better shaft fit. But if he didn't check his old clubs on the same monitor he got fit for the new clubs on it could just be a juiced monitor and he won't see that distance gain on the course. 20 yards on a 7 iron is huge.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #2387
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
20 yards on a 7 iron is huge.
My 7 iron varies by 20 yards in any direction on any given shot. I guess I should be more impressed with myself!
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:18 PM   #2388
Give me a forum ...

I thought that we were talking distance... not direction.

Direction is a lot more complicated.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-23-2020, 04:48 AM   #2389
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’m finding the IDEA a12 OS hybrid 7i loft spec is 32 degrees.

The Ping G710 7i loft is 29.5 degrees.

A little more than half a club?

On the Ping’s, I see the 8I as 34 degrees, 7I as 29.5 and 6I as 26. That’s a 4.5 and 3.5 differential. So yes, 2.5 degrees stronger is more than 1/2 club. Not uncommon. Hopefully you find new iron more forgiving so the stronger loft is same or more accurate.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:36 AM   #2390
Give me a forum ...

went out Sunday and hit a perfect shot by the hole on 1, only to find it bounce 30 yards in the rough behind the frozen green - Think I'll pony up $1K for 3 months of golftec LOL
Old 11-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #2391
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
I love being able to go into the garage rain or shine and hit balls
like now LOL? geez it's cold

sounds like a great setup
Old 11-23-2020, 06:39 AM   #2392
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Now you have me thinking! I had new irons in the back of my mind and I happend to have the same clubs as you! And it seems that over the years that I have had them that I had lost 10-20 yds.

And I'm turning 65 soon and I deserve a nice milestone birthday present.
best thing I did was ditch my 4i and 5i and added in 5h and 6h. I still carry 6-gw and 3h,4h.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #2393
Recycles dryer sheets

Big_Hitter,

A few years back I would have bundled up and played more of these chilly days, but holy moly it's too cold for me now.

I hit my Ping hybrids (3,4,5) better then the G30 irons. Rarely even use the 6i.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #2394
Give me a forum ...

I got one of these last week - it makes about a 15 degree difference, believe it or not

https://clubpro.com/product/3-x-4-universal-enclosure/

I figured if I was going to be a retired guy with a cart, I may as well be a retired guy with an enclosed golf cart and a propane heater
Old 11-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #2395
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Big_Hitter,

A few years back I would have bundled up and played more of these chilly days, but holy moly it's too cold for me now.

I hit my Ping hybrids (3,4,5) better then the G30 irons. Rarely even use the 6i.
I blocked my tee shot on 9 yesterday (blue tees) and it careened off the frozen hill into the fairway - this is nuts
Old 11-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #2396
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a tee time today, until I saw that it was only going to be about 38 degrees at the time with a little breeze. Tomorrow is supposed to be a tad bit warmer.

I have to admit that it is fun to see some record (distance) shots when the ground is frozen.

Have fun today.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #2397
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Have fun today.
I'm going to try tomorrow as well
Old 11-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #2398
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Been gone a while, from the forum & the course (doing PT to recover from a knee injury). But, re the posts about the G710s: I agree that loft is part of the extra distance but, certainly not all 20 yds of it. I started the fitting with my Adams 7i & we compared from there so, it’s not anything hokey with the monitor. Also, note that my spin and descent angle were better so, better ability to hold the green even with more distance. And, my dispersion was the same as my Adams so, not losing any accuracy. Shafts are graphite on both Adams & Ping so, not likely that’s causing much difference. Anyway, how I hit em on the course is what counts, and I have to wait a while for that. I’ll report back when I’ve played them.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #2399
Give me a forum ...

aggravated my sciatic nerve today, golfing in 39F weather...ski hill opens wednesday LOL
Old 11-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #2400
Give me a forum ...

My club covered the greens today. Cold for us this time of year. Suppose to be high 50's by Thursday so maybe I'll get to play then.
Closed Thread