Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Practice, Practice, Practice
Old 10-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Practice, Practice, Practice

In the spirit of making golf practice more enjoyable, I bring you these tips.

Swimsuit Models Are Now Giving Out Swing Tips To... — Swing by Swing Golf
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post

Don't know if the tips will make my game any better but it did bring new life to the old putter.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old 10-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Nice swing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Red Rocks Golf Trip
Old 10-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #105

Red Rocks Golf Trip

Three buddies and I went on a 5 day golf trip to St. George, Utah last week. The four of us are part of a larger group of eight that goes on a golf trip each Spring. This year we splurged and also went this Fall to a new (for us) place.

First, I highly recommend the "Red Rocks Golf Trail" in St. George, UT---beautiful, scenic courses at very low prices. We played 6 rounds in 4 days, and golf + lodging was ~$900/person; add in the 7th round we played at Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV and the total came to ~$1,000/person. For resort quality courses, this is a steal. These are the courses we played, with my personal thoughts/recommendation on each.

1. The Ledges: 4.5 Stars, scenic, great condition, great value.
2. Sky Mountain: 5 Stars, very scenic, great staff, best value of the whole trip.
3. Sand Hollow: Stunning views, great condition, very poor pace of play on our day.
4. Coral Canyon: 4.5 Stars, scenic, playing areas in great condition, infrastructure needs some work.
5. Green Spring: 3.5 Stars, decent "country club" course, several scenic holes, good value.
6. Sunbrook: 4 Stars, excellent "country club" quality course, great value.
7. Wolf Creek: 5 Stars, stunning views, excellent condition, good value; this is a "Bucket List" course.

The consensus of our group is that we would definitely return to St. George again, and we'd play courses #1, 2, 3, 4 & 7 again. I've posted a few pictures in a "Red Rocks Golf" album in my profile.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Need to hit a low stinger shot like Tiger? Here you go......

Old 10-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #107

Quote:
Three buddies and I went on a 5 day golf trip to St. George, Utah last week. The four of us are part of a larger group of eight that goes on a golf trip each Spring. This year we splurged and also went this Fall to a new (for us) place.

First, I highly recommend the "Red Rocks Golf Trail" in St. George, UT---beautiful, scenic courses at very low prices. We played 6 rounds in 4 days, and golf + lodging was ~$900/person; add in the 7th round we played at Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV and the total came to ~$1,000/person. For resort quality courses, this is a steal. These are the courses we played, with my personal thoughts/recommendation on each.

1. The Ledges: 4.5 Stars, scenic, great condition, great value.
2. Sky Mountain: 5 Stars, very scenic, great staff, best value of the whole trip.
3. Sand Hollow: Stunning views, great condition, very poor pace of play on our day.
4. Coral Canyon: 4.5 Stars, scenic, playing areas in great condition, infrastructure needs some work.
5. Green Spring: 3.5 Stars, decent "country club" course, several scenic holes, good value.
6. Sunbrook: 4 Stars, excellent "country club" quality course, great value.
7. Wolf Creek: 5 Stars, stunning views, excellent condition, good value; this is a "Bucket List" course.

The consensus of our group is that we would definitely return to St. George again, and we'd play courses #1, 2, 3, 4 & 7 again. I've posted a few pictures in a "Red Rocks Golf" album in my profile.
How long was the drive from Bay Area? I have a friend who is in St Geroge and has been asking me to visit to play golf.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
How long was the drive from Bay Area? I have a friend who is in St Geroge and has been asking me to visit to play golf.
I flew. 1.75 hrs flight to LV + 1 hr getting bags/rental car + 1.75 hrs drive to St. George.

If you have a friend there, certain courses (managed by Vanguard Group I believe) offer frequent player discount cards. I didn't use them because I made our resos through "Red Rocks Golf Trail" which is actually the St. George tourism bureau. But, you may want your friend to check out the discount cards for you if he's reserving the tee times.

All the courses are <20 mins from downtown St. George. & very easy to get to.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #109

Tried something different today in Scottsdale AZ, a round of golf on a golf simulator. I had my doubts beforehand but it was only $10 on golfnow.com and the reviews I've seen were very positive. I have to say I really enjoyed it, certainly doesn't replace the real thing but a good way to get a full round in in about one hour. There are many courses in the simulator to choose from, maybe 30 from what I could see. At the start of each new hole they do a video fly over of the hole so you get a good look of what's in front of you. You hit into a big video screen and it shows the ball flight, yes even those big slices and hooks, and shows the distance the ball went and the distance to the hole. The hitting area that you stand on even tilts to account for fairway/rough slopes. Putting took a little getting use to but not bad, any putts within 3 feet are given.

Nice setup with a bar and restaurant on site. According to the owner they have leagues at night and competitions, apparently it's very popular. Will definitely give it a go again, if anything it was good practice.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Tried something different today in Scottsdale AZ, a round of golf on a golf simulator. I had my doubts beforehand but it was only $10 on golfnow.com and the reviews I've seen were very positive. I have to say I really enjoyed it, certainly doesn't replace the real thing but a good way to get a full round in in about one hour. There are many courses in the simulator to choose from, maybe 30 from what I could see. At the start of each new hole they do a video fly over of the hole so you get a good look of what's in front of you. You hit into a big video screen and it shows the ball flight, yes even those big slices and hooks, and shows the distance the ball went and the distance to the hole. The hitting area that you stand on even tilts to account for fairway/rough slopes. Putting took a little getting use to but not bad, any putts within 3 feet are given.

Nice setup with a bar and restaurant on site. According to the owner they have leagues at night and competitions, apparently it's very popular. Will definitely give it a go again, if anything it was good practice.

I heard it is all the rage in East Asia. There are even serious tournaments. Some people are addicted (just like video game) and play multiple rounds all day long. It also is far more economical than playing a round in real course.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

But I walked 5.8 miles during my round today per my GPS.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-04-2015, 06:33 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
But I walked 5.8 miles during my round today per my GPS.
It was definitely a short walk between shots but I doubt you had a good selection of beers on tap between holes.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
It was definitely a short walk between shots but I doubt you had a good selection of beers on tap between holes.
No beer cart girl on the simulator? That would be a no go for me.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:15 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
No beer cart girl on the simulator? That would be a no go for me.
Yep!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (18.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #115

Played a round with a buddy yesterday @ Indian Valley, a local public course in Marin County. It's a scenic course & always a fun round. We teed off a bit later (1030am) and didn't see that many folks on the course; nice to have the space.

The course is doing work on #6 (Par 4) so, it's out of commission. But, they have a 19th hole (short Par 3) that's the substitute for such situations so, we played that. Because of that, we didn't keep score, just kept track of how many pars & birdies we made. I found that very liberating; it seemed to let me focus more on each shot. It also encouraged me to take risks I'd not normally take like going for a Par 5 with lots of greenside bunkers (found them) in two or, attempting a high fade off the tee around a sharp dog leg right & over trees (made it). It was fun to mentally approach the course one hole, one shot, at a time. I know I'm supposed to do that anyway but, not keeping score did make a difference for me.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #116

Quote:
It was fun to mentally approach the course one hole, one shot, at a time. I know I'm supposed to do that anyway but, not keeping score did make a difference for me.
One of the reasons I enjoy match play, not worried about total score, just one hole at a time.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #117

Quote:
The course is doing work on #6 (Par 4) so, it's out of commission. But, they have a 19th hole (short Par 3) that's the substitute for such situations so, we played that. Because of that, we didn't keep score,
In similar situation, I keep the score based on the 17 holes + the ESC score on #6.

Am looking forward to the weekend's round as always. Once I retire, I will play during week days (and maybe on Sunday occasionally) when there is much less crowd. Playing a nice course with DW with no groups in front or behind is to die for. DW uses the time between shots to take photos of surrounding view. I will probably start using my gopro as well.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #118

Quick question for all the duffers, which golf gambling game do you like the most ?

I really like to play skins with carry overs for a buck a hole. Nobody gets hurt and the winner usually buys at the 19th hole. Just good old friendly competition and trash talk.
We usually throw in a longest drive and a closest to the pin just for SAG.

What say you, ball strikers of the forum ?
Old 11-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #119
Full time employment: Posting here.

Way back when, I played with some fellow teachers and the standing bet was, get ready for this, 10 cent skins and 25 cents for closest to the hole. I am NOT that old, these were just some cheap bastards.

For me, it's not so much the game as the people you are playing with. When I still lived in the great Midwest we had a group of about 16 of us who would get a block of tee times and play in 3 or 4 foursomes, depending on who showed up. You could opt in for skins (gross only) with a $5 contribution. With this group that usually meant 1-3 skins would be paid out on any given day. Negotiations would occur on the first tee to determine who was playing whom in the other betting. The standard bet was $1/hole better ball. This did not lend itself to conservative play, but was a lot of fun. As usual, big winners would pay for drinks after. A big winner might be up $15 and a big loss might be the same. Typically everyone went home up or down less than $5.

My current group doesn't bet and I miss the competition sometimes. But for one group at my current course the buy in is $50 for some screwball game they play and the expectation is that there will be several side bets as well. Too rich for me. The "retirees" also have some kind of game that goes on, but they take almost 5 hours to play 18 holes and then they have to wait until everyone finishes and by the time everything is done you have wasted your entire day.

Don't get me wrong - I've wasted entire days on the golf course, but when I do I'm playing 36 or 54 holes.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Quick question for all the duffers, which golf gambling game do you like the most ?

I really like to play skins with carry overs for a buck a hole. Nobody gets hurt and the winner usually buys at the 19th hole. Just good old friendly competition and trash talk.
We usually throw in a longest drive and a closest to the pin just for SAG.

What say you, ball strikers of the forum ?
No gambling here. I like gambling but never bet on my golf game. Nuts!
Closed Thread