Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
That's why I am looking into finding a good mat/net for whacking balls through the winter. I have a nice empty bay with 10' ceiling that needs filling.
they should keep the course/range open if there is no snow on the ground
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
We rode Saturday (everyone has a private cart).

Five guys, five carts 18 holes 3 hours. Now that's playing golf.
Get it under two hours, now that's playing golf cart polo.

I worked in a pro shop in high school, and after we'd close we'd all grab a cart and see how many holes we'd get in before it got dark. More polo than golf, but fun.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
...Walked 18...I was able to go off as a single on Saturday before any other group and was done in two hours and twenty minutes. That was fun. I was starting the 18th when I saw the group behind me finishing the 10th.
At the Hyundai TOC in January one of the thirty players dropped out leaving a single, Chris Kirk. I volunteer as a walking scorer for Shotlink, and as I have Rules experience, they sent me w Chris (NOT playing-lol).

We were coming up 18 as the last of the fifteen groups was going off the first tee, about 2:40 later. Btw, he tied the course record shooting 62.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:30 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
At the Hyundai TOC in January one of the thirty players dropped out leaving a single, Chris Kirk. I volunteer as a walking scorer for Shotlink, and as I have Rules experience, they sent me w Chris (NOT playing-lol).

I volunteered for the WGC Cadillac match play championship (won by McIlroy) earlier this year; ran Shotlink lasers (both fairway & greens). First time for me; did it with a golf buddy. It was a blast!

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1447763391.796292.jpg

You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:47 AM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I volunteered for the WGC Cadillac match play championship (won by McIlroy) earlier this year; ran Shotlink lasers (both fairway & greens). First time for me; did it with a golf buddy. It was a blast!
Nice! My wife volunteers at three tournaments each year and gives me the freebies for Father's day, Christmas, and birthday presents.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #146

I've worked the PGA (now web.com) Q-school finals the last several times they've held it in Palm Springs, they usually alternate the site every year between Palm Springs and Florida. Walk around with the Palm Pilot thingy and keep score, if you like watching guys playing golf under pressure that's almost as good as it gets.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Do you guys have a limit to how much you'll spend for a round of golf? I think the most I've ever spent is $75 and I've played at most of the top golf courses in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Palm Springs. I usually stay away from those areas during the peak season (Jan-Apr) when prices are crazy (IMO).

Was on vacation at Carmel/Monterey CA last month and the closest I came to Pebble Beach was walking along Carmel beach next to holes 8-10. The only way to get advanced reservations there is to stay at the resort (~$700/night), then another $495 for golf. If you don't stay at the resort you can only reserve 24 hours in advance and the cost is $495 plus cost of caddie. I have a hard time justifying 6 'Benjamins' for a round of golf.
Before retirement, the typical cost was $60 to $80 on weekends. I have spent $300 for a round at Spyglass. Now I average around $35 to $45 per round.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I played Rancho Solano in Fairfield, CA for the first time yesterday. What an awesome course! It's as good as described in the great Golf Advisor reviews it's received. It is also a great deal @ $32 to walk 18.

The course is very well watered & lush considering the drought. And, the greens are as large, undulating & difficult as described in reviews.

I highly recommend this course if you live nearby or are in the area.

Attachment 22406

You may be whatever you resolve to be.
I just played this course for the first time a couple of months ago. I recommend this course too. It was much better thatn I expected.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What tees are you playing? The group I play with (mostly mid handicappers in our 60s and 70s) shifted to the forward/senior tees this summer and are enjoying the game much more, particularly on our home course. On many holes the difference is slight (perhaps 10 yards) but on the long holes the difference is more substantial and it makes our home course much more friendly. Interestingly the rating and slope are not very different (68.9/130 vs 66.4/124).

According to the PGA Tee-It-forward chart, if you hit drives 220-230 yards off the tee you should be playing the tees that equate to 5,800 to 6,000 yards.

If I'm driving well, my distance will be about 275 half the time. The other half depends on how good is the mishit. These days I prefer playing 6400 to 6700 yards. About 10 years ago my distance was about the same but I preferred playing at 6700 to 6900 yards. My mid and long iron play was much much better then.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #150

Played with a guy last week who said he hits it 170 - 200 yards off the tee, and he was debating on playing the white tees. I suggested he hit from senior tees, and he did. But he never hit a drive over 130. Long day for him
Old 11-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
But he never hit a drive over 130. Long day for him
whoa - what was his handicap index?
Old 11-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
Before retirement, the typical cost was $60 to $80 on weekends. I have spent $300 for a round at Spyglass. Now I average around $35 to $45 per round.
I played dollarwood (westwood cc) in Houston two weeks ago and forked over the $120 guest fee. That's about my limit and it hurts.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Get it under two hours, now that's playing golf cart polo.
well we had some leaves on the ground which made finding a few balls a challenge and we had to stop at the turn...
Old 11-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #154

Quote:
I played dollarwood (westwood cc) in Houston two weeks ago and forked over the $120 guest fee. That's about my limit and it hurts.
I definitely don't like paying anywhere near $120 these days. I'll play Poppy Hills about 3 to 4 times per year at $70/round. That's the highest so far this year.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #155

Quote:
whoa - what was his handicap index?
75 years old his best holes were a double bogey on a par 3. Most were in the 8 - 10 range

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
75 years old his best holes were a double bogey on a par 3. Most were in the 8 - 10 range
Most of the guys at my club that are 75ish (and play regularly) are pretty to very good golfers (i.e. sub 15 index)
Old 11-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #157

Makes no difference as long as one has fun but 120-130 yard driver average probably belongs with red tee.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:07 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Makes no difference as long as one has fun but 120-130 yard driver average probably belongs with red tee.
For sure! His wife beat him soundly. If my wife beat me, I would find a new hobby

Old 11-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Spent a hour with DW at Top Golf this afternoon. Had fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #160

Quote:
For sure! His wife beat him soundly. If my wife beat me, I would find a new hobby

Chuckle. Sometimes, DW beats me. We started golf at the same time. That's my excuse. That and she appears to have more natural talent than I have. Golf god is not fair that way.
Closed Thread