Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 or two dollar skins a hole for us.

shot 82 with two tweeters at westwood cc (Houston) yesterday

DW & I are taking a trip to Kauai over the Xmas/New Year holiday, and I plan to play some golf. We're staying in Poipu on the south side.

Anybody have experience/suggestions on where to play on Kauai? I'd prefer to stay within a 30 min drive of Poipu, even if I miss the great courses on the north shore.

Got another swing lesson in yesterday. I expect my handicap to go up before it goes down while I am working on the new swing.

Taking the swing lessons was part of my "splurging" attempt before I retire. Swing lesson is not in my ER budget.

Got another swing lesson in yesterday. I expect my handicap to go up before it goes down while I am working on the new swing.

Taking the swing lessons was part of my "splurging" attempt before I retire. Swing lesson is not in my ER budget.

Sounds like you worked on the full swing. Are you using the pro at your club or another instructor?

I had my (almost weekly) lesson Monday; part of the package DW got me for my birthday. We worked on sand shots. I've been having lots of trouble getting out of traps. I'm hoping this helps.

even when you retire it's probably a good idea to take at least one maybe two lessons during the season - sometimes you get into a bad habit, whether it's stance, alignment, grip, club position and/or downswing and it helps when a pga pro is watching you

find a good pro - I've got one here I call the golf whisperer - he's expensive, $90 an hour but I'm hitting the ball about 30 yards further off the tee and my iron shots are phenomenal now

Sounds like you worked on the full swing. Are you using the pro at your club or another instructor?

I had my (almost weekly) lesson Monday; part of the package DW got me for my birthday. We worked on sand shots. I've been having lots of trouble getting out of traps. I'm hoping this helps.

I use GolfTec.

I have no problem getting out of trap during practice. That's all I want to say about the subject. :blush:

even when you retire it's probably a good idea to take at least one maybe two lessons during the season - sometimes you get into a bad habit, whether it's stance, alignment, grip, club position and/or downswing and it helps when a pga pro is watching you

Agreed. I will still take lessons but less often. I was working on the same swing tweak which I thought I fixed 3 months ago. Hopefully, I fixed it for good. This week's lesson is a brand new swing tweak. Will see how it works out.

Last edited:
I use GolfTec.

I have no problem getting out of trap during practice. That's all I want to say about the subject.

I also use GolfTec; the one in Pleasant Hill. I'm very pleased with them.

You may be whatever you resolve to be.

Quick question for all the duffers, which golf gambling game do you like the most ?

I really like to play skins with carry overs for a buck a hole. Nobody gets hurt and the winner usually buys at the 19th hole. Just good old friendly competition and trash talk.
We usually throw in a longest drive and a closest to the pin just for SAG.

What say you, ball strikers of the forum ?

We usually play $5 Nassau's or 6/6/6. Usually a skins game involved as well.

Also play a quota game which is pretty popular at our club. 3 points for a birdie, 2 for a par, 1 for a bogey, 0 for double bogey. Your quota is determined by subtracting your handicap from 36. Can be played individually or as a team. $25 buy in which is $15 for team quota game, $5 for individual quota, and $5 for skins. Usually have four teams in our regular group.

I took Friday off for a nice three day weekend. Walked 18 holes each of the three days. Scores were nothing great. I was able to go off as a single on Saturday before any other group and was done in two hours and twenty minutes. That was fun. I was starting the 18th when I saw the group behind me finishing the 10th.

The weather has turned, a little snow on the ground this morning. Dang it.

We rode Saturday (everyone has a private cart).

Five guys, five carts 18 holes 3 hours. Now that's playing golf.

I have developed a HUGE problem getting out of the sand. I may have to dedicate one of my lessons to fixing this. I have read many tips and watched videos on-line, but nothing like having a pro help you!

The weather has turned, a little snow on the ground this morning. Dang it.

Same here in SE Arizona, yesterday I was golfing in shorts and a SS polo shirt, this afternoon it was snowing and the wind blowing 30 mph.

That's why I am looking into finding a good mat/net for whacking balls through the winter. I have a nice empty bay with 10' ceiling that needs filling.

55 degrees, cloudy with showers here in Scottsdale today. Golf today was a washout. Hopefully tomorrow a bit warmer.

That's why I am looking into finding a good mat/net for whacking balls through the winter. I have a nice empty bay with 10' ceiling that needs filling.

they should keep the course/range open if there is no snow on the ground

We rode Saturday (everyone has a private cart).

Five guys, five carts 18 holes 3 hours. Now that's playing golf.

Get it under two hours, now that's playing golf cart polo.

I worked in a pro shop in high school, and after we'd close we'd all grab a cart and see how many holes we'd get in before it got dark. More polo than golf, but fun.

Last edited:
...Walked 18...I was able to go off as a single on Saturday before any other group and was done in two hours and twenty minutes. That was fun. I was starting the 18th when I saw the group behind me finishing the 10th.

At the Hyundai TOC in January one of the thirty players dropped out leaving a single, Chris Kirk. I volunteer as a walking scorer for Shotlink, and as I have Rules experience, they sent me w Chris (NOT playing-lol).

We were coming up 18 as the last of the fifteen groups was going off the first tee, about 2:40 later. Btw, he tied the course record shooting 62.

At the Hyundai TOC in January one of the thirty players dropped out leaving a single, Chris Kirk. I volunteer as a walking scorer for Shotlink, and as I have Rules experience, they sent me w Chris (NOT playing-lol).

I volunteered for the WGC Cadillac match play championship (won by McIlroy) earlier this year; ran Shotlink lasers (both fairway & greens). First time for me; did it with a golf buddy. It was a blast!

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1447763391.796292.jpg

I volunteered for the WGC Cadillac match play championship (won by McIlroy) earlier this year; ran Shotlink lasers (both fairway & greens). First time for me; did it with a golf buddy. It was a blast!

Nice! My wife volunteers at three tournaments each year and gives me the freebies for Father's day, Christmas, and birthday presents.

I've worked the PGA (now web.com) Q-school finals the last several times they've held it in Palm Springs, they usually alternate the site every year between Palm Springs and Florida. Walk around with the Palm Pilot thingy and keep score, if you like watching guys playing golf under pressure that's almost as good as it gets.

Do you guys have a limit to how much you'll spend for a round of golf? I think the most I've ever spent is $75 and I've played at most of the top golf courses in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Palm Springs. I usually stay away from those areas during the peak season (Jan-Apr) when prices are crazy (IMO).

Was on vacation at Carmel/Monterey CA last month and the closest I came to Pebble Beach was walking along Carmel beach next to holes 8-10. The only way to get advanced reservations there is to stay at the resort (~$700/night), then another $495 for golf. If you don't stay at the resort you can only reserve 24 hours in advance and the cost is $495 plus cost of caddie. I have a hard time justifying 6 'Benjamins' for a round of golf.

Before retirement, the typical cost was $60 to $80 on weekends. I have spent $300 for a round at Spyglass. Now I average around $35 to $45 per round.

I played Rancho Solano in Fairfield, CA for the first time yesterday. What an awesome course! It's as good as described in the great Golf Advisor reviews it's received. It is also a great deal @ $32 to walk 18.

The course is very well watered & lush considering the drought. And, the greens are as large, undulating & difficult as described in reviews.

I highly recommend this course if you live nearby or are in the area.

View attachment 22406

I just played this course for the first time a couple of months ago. I recommend this course too. It was much better thatn I expected.

What tees are you playing? The group I play with (mostly mid handicappers in our 60s and 70s) shifted to the forward/senior tees this summer and are enjoying the game much more, particularly on our home course. On many holes the difference is slight (perhaps 10 yards) but on the long holes the difference is more substantial and it makes our home course much more friendly. Interestingly the rating and slope are not very different (68.9/130 vs 66.4/124).

According to the PGA Tee-It-forward chart, if you hit drives 220-230 yards off the tee you should be playing the tees that equate to 5,800 to 6,000 yards.

teeitforwardchart.jpg

If I'm driving well, my distance will be about 275 half the time. The other half depends on how good is the mishit. These days I prefer playing 6400 to 6700 yards. About 10 years ago my distance was about the same but I preferred playing at 6700 to 6900 yards. My mid and long iron play was much much better then.

Played with a guy last week who said he hits it 170 - 200 yards off the tee, and he was debating on playing the white tees. I suggested he hit from senior tees, and he did. But he never hit a drive over 130. Long day for him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom