Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2020, 01:06 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Vacation from what? If you are retired, isn't everyday a vacation?
Yea, that is one for the bad things about retirement list. No vacations, no weekends off, no overtime pay, constant retirement 24/7, with no breaks. It is relentless.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Vacation from what? If you are retired, isn't everyday a vacation?
OK, travel.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
To each his own, of course, but I've found lists helpful throughout my life. ... In fact, here's my list of reasons why I like lists:
I have found that I can't survive with mental stimulation and challenge. My work specialty does exactly that. I tried retirement briefly about a year ago, because I wanted more control over my time and I had a toxic-boss situation. I found crossword puzzles and sudoku's to be a weak substitute at best. So when a job offer came along after a few months, I took it.

Covid and the ability (requirement!) to work-at-home has been a godsend for me. The work challenge is back with no commute, and much more time flexibility (yes the hours have to be put in but outside of a few core hours each day, I can work when I want to). And unlike Sudoku's, I get pay and benefits.

I suppose it helps if you basically enjoyed your work.
LarryMelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
I have found that I can't survive with mental stimulation and challenge. My work specialty does exactly that. I tried retirement briefly about a year ago, because I wanted more control over my time and I had a toxic-boss situation. I found crossword puzzles and sudoku's to be a weak substitute at best. So when a job offer came along after a few months, I took it.

Covid and the ability (requirement!) to work-at-home has been a godsend for me. The work challenge is back with no commute, and much more time flexibility (yes the hours have to be put in but outside of a few core hours each day, I can work when I want to). And unlike Sudoku's, I get pay and benefits.

I suppose it helps if you basically enjoyed your work.
Yes, I'm the same way -- love learning, love thinking about things, need intellectual stimulation. Fortunately, I find a lot of that in my reading and on various discussion forums. Before the plague, I used to take classes and participate in discussion groups as well. That will return eventually. I also do some blogging. Even videogaming is a source of intellectual stimulation of a sort (more along the lines of flow, although some problem-solving and puzzling can be involved). I also like watching long-form discussions on Youtube sometimes; it can be a sort of "seminars on demand" for whatever topic interests you.

I found my work intellectually stimulating, but after a while, it felt repetitive to me, like I was using the same mental gears to do similar mental tasks, over and over. I greatly prefer the flexibility in retirement to focus exactly on what I find interesting, then drop it when I want to shift to something else. I get a lot more cognitive range and variety, that way. Fortunately, I'm a pretty curious fellow, so I have a lot of different interests that keep my mind stimulated.

Larry Bud!

ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
I have found that I can't survive with mental stimulation and challenge. My work specialty does exactly that.
I got lucky with a hobby that provides that. As an amateur musician I look for musical opportunities with players that are better than me. That forces me to step up my game and be on my toes when playing.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Well, there are two lists I do my best to follow, but they were written by others. The Ten Commandments and The Beatitudes.
These keep me focused on the important things in my life.
See, lists can change the world. Where would we be now, if 3000 years ago, Moses said to himself, "Eh, I don't feel like making a list. That's too much effort." lol
Old 11-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
See, lists can change the world. Where would we be now, if 3000 years ago, Moses said to himself, "Eh, I don't feel like making a list. That's too much effort." lol
Not religious, me, but I understand that the lists he supposedly received were prewritten.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:58 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Not religious, me, but I understand that the lists he supposedly received were prewritten.

Correct! They were not written by Moses!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Correct! They were not written by Moses!
Yeah, I saw the movie and read the book!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Great list. #52 rings true - I made a vow that if I had to walk the dog, I'd do it at the beach. Dog's life is good... and mine is too.
Completely agree with you. I have a dog now in ER; she lives a great life, multiple walks and play sessions at the parks and the dog beach. It makes me sad thinking of the dogs we had (they're in Rainbow Bridge now) back when we worked long hours.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Well, that's even better for us list-makers, then. We are truly made in the image of God, the original Maker of Lists.

I forget what Charleston Heston did exactly, but he transcribed them, right? God didn't burn them into the stone tablets with laser beams, did He? I thought Moses did it with a chisel. Which is some pretty hardcore list-making (or list-transcribing) in itself -- not the wimpy paper-and-pen method we moderns use.

Maybe I should chisel my list of 59 Good Things About Being Retired on stone tablets. I'm thinking it might have a similar impact on the world as the Ten Commandments did.

Nah, that sounds like too much work on my part. I think I'll take my dog for a walk instead.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

@ER Eddie:

You left one out: More time to write book "How to Enjoy Retirement"... I'd say you've got a good head start 😉
Montclairbobbyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yea, that is one for the bad things about retirement list. No vacations, no weekends off, no overtime pay, constant retirement 24/7, with no breaks. It is relentless.
The joke I heard is "Do you know why retirement sucks?"

"You never get a day off".
Beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

...Anyway, here's my list of the good things about being retired:
Awesome!
57 things to think about and look forward to... Plus I could modify a few, add a few of my own and make my own list.
Since Thanksgiving's just around the corner some of this can be food for thought for the "What are you thankful for?" question.
Thanks for posting this.

-AM23
ArmchairMillionaire23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:01 PM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

My good things about being retired is this: Do the things I want to do, when I want to, at the pace I want to.
carty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:11 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

Phenomenal list. I'm almost 4 years in and looking back I realize that working for me was prison compared to the life I live now.......

anyway

....one thing missing from the list is the immense joy and relief of Sunday nights/Monday mornings. For me, the relief of that anxiety is truly indescribable

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Great list,

I can check some of those boxes, and others I can aspire towards.
thanks for putting it together!
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

No matter how long your list is, it's never going to be long enough for the;

"I just don't know what to do if I don't have a job anymore" folks.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:48 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
"I just don't know what to do if I don't have a job anymore" folks.
Riyadh, mid 1980s, the company, based in Canada, began downsizing and offered retirement packages to those with sufficient time in, (upped the number of years they'd worked for the organization).

About five guys qualified - four immediately took the package. The remaining guy pestered the bejabbers out of the others - "What will you do all day?" "I like to know what I'm going to be doing at any given time" - like that....on and on and on.

Finally one of the others told him that he wasn't ready to retire.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #60

Quote:
To each his own, of course, but I've found lists helpful throughout my life. I've got lists for all sorts of things -- my main values, my best experiences in life, my best ideas, major life lessons, reasons to retire (that one is outmoded, lol), reasons to move or not, decisions about relationships, things to be grateful for, things I like about my life, etc.

In fact, here's my list of reasons why I like lists:

1. The process of list-making is intellectually stimulating and helps focus my mind on a particular issue or angle.

2. I'm an analytical fellow. I enjoy thinking about things.

3. Both making and reviewing a list helps activate certain states of mind (in this case, gratitude, appreciation, happiness).

4. It's a way to clarify and organize my thinking.

5. Putting things down in writing feels different, more objective somehow, than just having thoughts rolling around in my head.

6. It's a way of reinforcing ideas or decisions.

7. You can't hold more than a few bits of data in your head at one time (working memory limitations). Writing things down enables me to greatly expand the scope of what I'm considering.

8. It's a wonderful way to briefly encapsulate valuable information I've accumulated over a lifetime, and to remind myself of things that happened years or decades ago, which otherwise I would just forget. I'm referring here to my lists of my best experiences, best ideas, or major life lessons. I've kept lists like that for decades, and they are very valuable to me. If my house were to catch on fire, they'd be the one of the first things I'd rescue, after my dog.

9. I've always liked expressing my thoughts in writing. I joke with people that spoken English is my second language; written is my first. I find it very natural and easy to put my thoughts on paper. I can't identify with people talking about it feeling like "work." It's not work at all to me. It comes very naturally and easily.
Also, there is a sense of accomplishment as you check items off the list.