Join Early Retirement Today

goodbye california, hello oregon!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

anyone else moved or planning to move from cal to oregon? we already have a place up there rented out until we leave cal never to return. just seems like a nice place to live. laid back, friendly people & they all speak english!
knucklehead 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You retired?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
anyone else moved or planning to move from cal to oregon? we already have a place up there rented out until we leave cal never to return. just seems like a nice place to live. laid back, friendly people & they all speak english!
Yup everyone's friendly and laid back here. Just keep in mind our tourism slogan from the 80's "Oregon: A nice place to visit, but please don't stay."
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
You retired?
not yet, but getting closer. hope to in 3 years at 45. sell our 2 san jose, ca homes & head to cottage grove, or.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We love cali, but the nonsense is beginning to be too much to take. Too much pork, too many giveaways, too many bleeding heart politicians who would be more than happy to take away from those that have worked hard and saved and give to those who barely work and squander what they have. We haven't spent a lot of time in Oregon though. Kind of like some of the smaller cities in Utah but could not stomach Salt Lake or Provo/Orem. We like Logan and St George...but Logan is too cold in winter and St George is too hot in summer. Only places I have been in Oregon are too rainy.

R
Old 01-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Cottage Grove, Oregon (OR) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, move, moving, houses news, sex offenders

Nice town - my Mom used to have a Victorian there. Pretty soggy and kinda loggerish. Don't count on Oregon being sensible - our governor is proposing that GPS units be mounted on cars - it seems that Oregon isn't collecting enough gas tax, maybe because fewer are going to work, maybe because there are too many gas sipping Prius and such. So he's thinking it would be a good idea to tax by miles traveled - that'll teach those T-Al & Nords types! Nobody has any problem with tracking units on their cars, right? OK, next year RFID chips for everybody!

Looks like maybe our Hispanic population is decreasing - hard to believe, but City-data is showing about 1/3 Hispanic for our town, and I'd have sworn it was more like 60% recently.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

SO's sister moved to Bend many years ago, for job reasons, never to return to S.F. except for family occasions.

A neighbor in my apt. building just bought a house in Bend. We're taking bets on whether she will also keep her city digs. I'm betting, yes.

Don't worry, I have no such plans but the only trip I'm thinking about is the train ride through the Cascades to see (but not play in) all that pristine snow.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
anyone else moved or planning to move from cal to oregon?
Yes, I moved up to OR back in 1981. It has sure grown a tremendous amount since I moved here--lots more people everywhere. But, there are still wild places where you can get away, and the land-use planning laws mean you don't have to travel far from town to reach the woods.
I moved from Davis, CA to Portland. I found the lack of sunshine to be the worst thing about OR.
Now, the summers in western OR are glorious! Temps in the 70s-80s, occasionally 90s--and lots of sunny skies. Plus no humidity!
But the rest of the year, expect lots and lots of cloudy days--often with a light misting rain falling---day after day after day after day--sometimes for weeks on end...
After 28 years here, I'm crazy enough to love this weather now! But it was difficult at first, especially coming from sunny CA.
rocketdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

One of our very favorite states. Amazing geographical diversity. Really friendly people. Awesome food and wine.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My parents retired to Oregon from California in 1993. Every time we visit it rains, but my mom swears that they do have some nice days up there. I just wish I could bring some of the rain home with me.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Day after day after day after day of grey misting rain and 40 to 50 degrees IS the good weather.

Was born and raised outside of Portland on the Washington side of the river til the tender age of 26.

Some people just don't understand 'perfect weather' when they see it.

My goodness.

heh heh heh - going to maybe 60 here north of Kansas City with that there bright glinty sunshine. One of the neighbors gave me a Brisket to smoke today on the patio. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
We love cali, but the nonsense is beginning to be too much to take. Too much pork, too many giveaways, too many bleeding heart politicians who would be more than happy to take away from those that have worked hard and saved and give to those who barely work and squander what they have. We haven't spent a lot of time in Oregon though. Kind of like some of the smaller cities in Utah but could not stomach Salt Lake or Provo/Orem. We like Logan and St George...but Logan is too cold in winter and St George is too hot in summer. Only places I have been in Oregon are too rainy.

R
I really do not like Oregon. Same stinky weather or worse than Washington, plus state tax and even more sanctimonious people than Seattle's. (definitely not including Oregonians on this board!)

Good trout fishing out in the desert though.

Ha
Old 01-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did the reverse 8 years ago (raised in OR, moved to CA after I got married).

Cottage Grove is a quiet little town. Nice folks. Well out of the Salem-Portland metro area and close enough to Eugene for shopping.

Have fun. Don't forget your Gore-Tex.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Cuppa,

My parent just bought a house right by Bend, in Sisters. I went up there for XMAS and really enjoyed it, didn't think I would, but it was really a chill place. I am in love with the Organic Beer from Deschutes Brewery. Definitely way different then California especially central Oregon. Seeing snow was great, living in Dubai and all.

Billman
billman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I certainly can understand leaving S. Calif. But I'm not sure why anyone would want to move from N. California to Oregon right now when housing prices are finally falling into an "affordable" range. Is the traffic north of SF really awful now? Is the living just too difficult? Why?

I'd love to live there again, so I hope you will forgive my confusion.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

In the Pacific Northwest, we have a name for the sunny day that follows two days of cold rain. We call it "Monday".
Old 01-25-2009, 12:43 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

i am in san jose (the south bay area) & own 2 homes here (& 4 more in oregon) & plan to sell off the 2 san jose & 2 of the oregon homes before i head north with approx. 750k of equity from the sales. yes, traffic anywhere in the bay area sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I certainly can understand leaving S. Calif. But I'm not sure why anyone would want to move from N. California to Oregon right now when housing prices are finally falling into an "affordable" range. Is the traffic north of SF really awful now? Is the living just too difficult? Why?

I'd love to live there again, so I hope you will forgive my confusion.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:14 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
.... yes, traffic anywhere in the bay area sucks.
and there are critters everywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4216.jpg (601.4 KB, 3 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Yep - fun critters in Oregon too - this from the Oregon Country Fair in Veneta, close enough to Cottage Grove:
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is the traffic north of SF really awful now? Is the living just too difficult? Why?
Last I checked, the traffic monster extended as far north as Santa Rosa.