Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

That interesting...I got mine at the end of December 2019 and the first month in which I qualify for the pension is January 2020...I under why they sent it early?
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
That interesting...I got mine at the end of December 2019 and the first month in which I qualify for the pension is January 2020...I under why they sent it early?

I think most custodians will have a policy of paying a day early so it arrives on time and is not late. Billpay works that way for me, anyway. Some will pay the next business day if the regularly scheduled date falls on the weekend or holiday. Some retirees from my ex employer in a different pension tier screamed bloody murder when their pensions were sold to an insurance company and the weekend deposits were delayed to Monday. Can be a big deal when you only get paid once per month I guess.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First pension DD was Sep 2008 for $3,159. Just got my Jan 2020 DD for $4008.19. COLA is a good thing.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

my pension hits the bank on the 1st of each month but it will hit a day or two early if the 1st is on a saturday, sunday or holiday.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on the first check (er....deposit). Less than a year for DH and about 16 months for me until those checks start rolling in for staying home. We cannot wait!
goingtotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
First pension DD was Sep 2008 for $3,159. Just got my Jan 2020 DD for $4008.19. COLA is a good thing.
Wow, I wish I got that much (smile!)
Old 01-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
...this past Friday. Not enough to live on, but still...they are paying me for not working! Gotta love it!
Just had to explain that concept to my granddaughter yesterday. She really likes the idea of getting paid to do nothing. Not sure she got that I worked over 40 years to earn my 2 pension checks Unfortunately, fewer companies offer a traditional pension any more so she may never get that opportunity. But after I explained that the money I saved might go to her someday and that my pensions stop when I die (or my wife depending on who goes last), she liked that even better...
denstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #68

One Option after receiving your first pension check: Get a job and work on a second pension!

I retired from the federal government after 34 years at age 55. However, I then got a California government job and I received 2 pay checks with one job for 10 years.

I saved 100% of my federal pension income for 10 years so my IRA and investments grew to a comfortable amount.

When I finally retired at age 65, I am now receiving a federal pension, a state pension, social security and a large nest egg from double dipping for 10 years. My standard of living during retirement is much more than during my working years. This strategy only works for people who are healthy.
vchan2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Pension? What's that?

Yea right!?!?!

I had to buy my own pension in the form of a SPIA.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! Relish in the fact that your dedicated service and loyalty to a company has rewarded you. Cheers.
maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No, SS isn't a gift. I remember a regular deduction and my employer paid the same.

Now it's my turn!
Old 01-07-2020, 09:52 PM   #72

40 years working a job I loved for all but the last year or so...but still, I do know i'm lucky to get a pension at all (smile!)
Old 01-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
...this past Friday. Not enough to live on, but still...they are paying me for not working! Gotta love it!

I agree. Even though we paid into thus for a zillion years. To me it is like the lottery. We get do much each month for life.

Peeps that I know when I tell then that say it us not like that because we paid that monies in.

Sooooo. I still think it is like free monies.
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:05 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I still have mine - are you going to frame it?

Don't frame the checque. Make a copy and frame that.

I do not get a checque. I get my monies direct deposited.
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:29 AM   #75
Confused about dryer sheets

Nice. I still haven't decided yet. I just hit the right age but still working.
MRHARDROCKCAFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #76

Many Happy Monthly Returns! Im 388 days away from my 1st (of hopefully many) pension checks. Im 1,118 days away from that 1st (of hopefully many) SS payments as well.

The funny thing is that I used to worry about not having enough $$.

I

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Same here. Not much in terms of direct deposit dollars, but a lot better than nothing!
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #78

Just got my 6th pension (non government) 1st of Jan. Had t make it a paper check so it counts for 2020, not DD for 2019 for IRMAA & Roth eligibility. Just switched it back to DD. Unlike SS, the estimates of which kept going up year after year, my pension kept dropping (unless I was promoted with a larger raise) because of the screwy way my company calculated it as an estimate. As SS increased, the pension decreased, though the net amount was always higher. Company logic was they paid in to SS, so they got to claim some credit. Still, my single one with 27 years credit ended up being 35% of my last years base pay and is twice the size of my first engineering paycheck out of college, and back then, I thought I was rich! It is 4 times larger than both of DWs teaching ones combined (two states, 15 years each). All 3 cover required expenses nicely, and our SS (when I file) will be almost as much again. Agree 100% that it is very nice to be paid for having a pulse!
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Received my first “stay@home” paycheck in February 2019. Received a nice 3% “raise” this year so I must have performed well during the year :<)

Feel more than blessed to be in this position, I have to pinch myself some mornings as I reach for my second cup of Kona coffee after dropping off my daughter to school. Life is good...
Steeler75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congratulations! I have just completed one year in retirement. Recieving that very FIRST well earned retirement check is quite exciting! Cheers mate!