Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingus View Post
How can gratitude exist without an Entity on which to bestow that gratitude?
I retired at 53 because I made a lot of smart choices, so I guess I'm grateful to myself.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Grateful? Yes, very much so. We both are natural born frugal with a itch for travel. When we got married back in 1990, we did 3 weeks in Europe on a budget of only $100/day, excluding air and Eurorail pass. Neither one of us made much over 50K a year but somehow we were able to retire in our mid 50's on a beautiful lake in the southeast. All the while making yearly trips to the caribbean and a 3 week trip to europe every 2-3 years.
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right now, I am just grateful to be able to stay in my air-conditioned home, while the outside is a mere 108F. Summer peak heat is still ahead, and there are poor folks who will have to go to work, some even having outside jobs. Have you ever thought about the poor motorcycle cops in black uniform? They cannot pay me enough for that.

I still remember a day back in summer 1995 or so. I was busy at work, and did not pay much attention when there was talk in the hall about us reaching a high of 122F or so that day. When I left work at 4PM and upon leaving the building to walk towards my car in the parking hot, I realized that it was darn hot! Gah!

With the car baking in the sun all day, it was tough to even hold the steering wheel to drive. With the AC running full blast, the car interior barely cooled down a bit when I reached home after a 25-mile drive. And in those days, I could make the drive home in 35 minutes. Who knows how long it would take now, with the growth in the last 25 years.

Yes, I am grateful to stay home in comfort, while people are killing themselves to make a living.