Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Gratitude, luck, and content in all circumstances
Old 06-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

Gratitude, luck, and content in all circumstances

Great post. I'm definitely grateful for all the luck in my life and continue to strive for contentment in all the other, not so lucky circumstances.

One thing I am grateful for is all the wisdom on this board which allowed me to retire earlier than planned when I survived a heart attack at 62.
cbbennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2021, 06:54 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, blessed beyond imagination, and I daily take my thanks to a 'higher level', acknowledging the blessings bestowed on us, i.e to my God. I pray that our country and young people can be awakened and have the same perseverance as WE all did in our younger days, to have faith, fight the fights that are worthwhile, and obtain the wisdom to see the truth and goodness the nation was founded upon, to achieve this freedom we live today.
maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:58 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

How can gratitude exist without an Entity on which to bestow that gratitude?
Gazingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:39 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Yes.

heh heh heh - AND I was canned er layed off and 'discovered ER/made the mental shift' while doing temp work.
Ah, Uncle Mick. Your posts never fail to make me happy! Heh heh heh!
!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:48 PM   #45
Confused about dryer sheets

I agree. I retired April 1st right when COVID hit, and after 2 heart surgeries in the previous 2 years. My dad use to always say every day above ground is a good one. That saying is something that I fully understand these days. I was 64 when I retired after 48 years in retail. Fortunate that I don’t have to work. I still teach part time online at a community college, but it’s because I love it so much.
mwacheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:49 AM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

It was so nice to read this - it seems like increasingly (especially in the last 10 years it seems?) people focus more on the negatives - like a permanent state of feeling aggrieved or unhappy even if they have a lot of positives in their life. I have a friend who is becoming like this. I wish more folks could stop, step back, take a breath and take stock of the good things they do have. Life speeds by.. so how sad if we miss the opportunity to 'see' all the good things. I certainly am grateful for so much, including being able to step away from the grind of the work week last year and retire. Thank you for stating it so well in this post!
CoastboundPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:26 AM   #47
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I had an experience today that brought home to me how fortunate I am to be FIREd and to no longer have to do anything for the sake of money or for any extrinsic rewards.

I have the awesome gift or privilege of being able to do things simply because I enjoy doing them. I don't have to do anything for money or external rewards (e.g., validation, etc.). I can do what I like simply because I like doing it. And I can do it how I like, because I don't have to please a customer, referral, or authority.

Why the post? I'm just trying to focus myself on my gratitude. I tend to take this for granted, so I want to explicitly post about it, as a way of focusing my attention. Maybe others will resonate, too.

I'm very lucky or fortunate to be in this position. The vast majority of people in the world are not.
As my family said you can't do most things without money. I am at a point where I don't need much but if I do I have it because of years of investing the markets and living below the radar.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:07 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Count me in on grateful for the luck of the draw life lottery ticket. I am surrounded by mostly older retirees (>63) and most are also quite wealthier usually because they worked longer, or in the case of the wealthy widows, their spouses did. Poor health is rampant and all the money in the world will not buy more time or reverse the physical damage. I feel I struck a good balance, and am glad to have my health and freedom from worry.

However, just because we are on this forum and FIRE, does not mean we don’t have family or personal issues that limit a lot of freedom. You can still be grateful for what you have even if it’s not “perfect”.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Thankful Too!
Old 06-02-2021, 06:46 AM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thankful Too!

Yes, we are indeed fortunate. Thanks for the reminder. Life can turn in the moment of a heartbeat. So, to wake up each morning and decide what one wants to do this day with the only influences being family, friends and love? Priceless! Psalm 23.
goneboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:35 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yep, I'm really liking this retirement gig. All I have to do is maintain a pulse and they send me money every month. Is that cool or what?
Yep. I call it "wake up pay": As long as I wake up on the 1st of every month, Uncle Sugar puts some money in my account.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:42 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Yep. I call it "wake up pay": As long as I wake up on the 1st of every month, Uncle Sugar puts some money in my account.
This has always been my favorite part of being retired. For me, it's the second business day of the month (like today ) when the money magically appears in my bank account. I don't have a creative nickname like you do, I just call it my "new payday!"
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #52

Amen. And the more I hear about what’s going on at my former MegaCorp, well I can see my timing was perfect in so many ways, financially and otherwise..
Old 06-02-2021, 05:54 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Not interested here in following any of my former megacorps or any of the workers and I really liked my career.
Retirement is a new life.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
This has always been my favorite part of being retired. For me, it's the second business day of the month (like today ) when the money magically appears in my bank account. I don't have a creative nickname like you do, I just call it my "new payday!"
My aunt always referred to it "When the Eagle flies" and I guess she cleaned that up a bit. Supposedly, in some cultures its considered "good luck" when a bird hits you. Hey, when it's my SS payment, it's lucky indeed. Love the Eagle. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The biggest advantage for myself not having to work for money is no longer having to deal with fellow coworkers. It was always jealously about something. Of course it's disguised, but it's usually jealousy over pay, or hours or something else. Of course, I have a way of looking at things differently than most people. So be it.

But yes, being free to do anything you want at anytime you want is a tremendous advantage.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:29 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

"Grateful to not have to do anything for money anymore"

Yes, me too.

While I don't have to do anything with my investment to have enough to live comfortably, I am still an active investor because I like to do it.

Just for monitoring the market, and making a few mouse clicks here and there, I make a bit more than if I just "buy and hold".

Of course, if I consistently lost money by clicking on the wrong things, I would stop this activity before too long.

So, you can say I am still working for money.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:36 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Love this thread. Hope to be on the right side of FIRE in a few years! 🙏
patela6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:09 AM   #58
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
This thread has been an excellent reminder not to take freedom from work for granted. And to take some time every day to reflect on how fortunate we are and to be thankful for it. Sometimes, particularly after many years of retirement, it’s easy to slip into the mind-set that this FI life is somehow “normal”.

A big thanks to ER Eddie for raising the topic and to all the others who added their thoughts.
Freedom from work is a great feeling for me. For almost 30 years I worked in the rat race Mega Corp high stress environment. I invested the same manner, aggressive and taking huge bets on certain sectors. This allowed me to leave work on my own. I am grateful for what I have and what I accomplished.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #59

Not a day goes by where I am not amazed, thrilled, astounded and extraordinarily happy and grateful with how my life turned out. The amazing woman I married, the financial freedom, health, homes, cars and general lifestyle.

All so much better than I ever dreamed of. True that money alone doesn’t buy happiness but with a bit of luck and good planning it makes it easier to find.
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:21 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I feel fortunate, like most of you folks here. I worked hard and saved like hell so I could arrive at this place in life. My plan worked. The plan of others has not worked. At age 76 I feel that DW and I have enough of a stash, and income stream, to easily make it to the end with $ left over for our kids to split up. I do not feel guilty at all.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote