Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2021, 11:08 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Back a couple years ago when I had several bass amps. From left to right Garnet Deputy 2, Markbass CMD 121, Markbass 104 HR, and Hartke LH500 with HyDrive 410 cabinet. Not shown Galien Krueger MB115 combo:

20190421_111827.jpg
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2021, 05:04 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Nice. I have a Taylor GS Mini Koa -- amazed at the small-body tone. And, well, Koa!
Yes, for some reason I want Koa when I see a picture of a guitar with Koa.

I have some interesting instruments, and one hand-made work I've been dragging along for about 40 years.

Now where is that late 40's Martin? I know it's here somewhere.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:29 AM   #23

After more than fifty five years of playing, I've had probably more than twenty different axes, both electric and acoustics, including highend Gibbys, Martins and Taylors. Current inventory is now down to three, a strat, a tele, and a Takamine acoustic. Due to some arthritis in my hands don't play near as much as I used to or would like but I have gotten into the piano as another form of therapy.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
After more than fifty five years of playing, I've had probably more than twenty different axes, both electric and acoustics, including highend Gibbys, Martins and Taylors. Current inventory is now down to three, a strat, a tele, and a Takamine acoustic. Due to some arthritis in my hands don't play near as much as I used to or would like but I have gotten into the piano as another form of therapy.
I've also purged the inventory. Down from 5 bass amps to 1. I used to have 7 or 8 basses, now down to 3. Down to 1 electric guitar from 3. I still have 2 acoustic guitars. I used to have a 12-string Martin and sold it but wish I hadn't.

What I really have to do is get rid of cables. I have about 6 milk crates full of cables, patch cords, etc.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Yes, for some reason I want Koa when I see a picture of a guitar with Koa.
Pictures really don't do curly Koa justice. It has a cool 3D effect that changes with light and orientation.

I used it for the binding on my first build. The curl also means the grain is a little crazy, so it's a bit of pain to bend. I broke a few pieces.
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #26

Seeing the aluminum necks and mention of 40's Martins, I need to show off this one.

1950-something Harmony H40. Somewhat modified (not by me).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h40.jpg (62.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

According to Mr bbbamI....

Basses left to right are: '99 Carvin BB75, '76 Fender Precision Bass, '98 Carvin BB75F
Amps: '66 Ampeg B15N, '14 Ampeg PF500 and PF210 speaker

The Fender PBass was bought used. He's had it for about 33 yrs.

He found the B15N on eBay about 15 yrs ago. It was a basket case. It has been completely overhauled with modifications.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01539.jpg (652.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-26-2021, 11:29 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Those 2 Carvin basses are super nice!
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:22 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

What a great thread, and good to see so many nice guitars. Here are a few of my own (sorry about the lap steel photo -- I rotated it in the Explorer, but)

Not shown (they're in their cases) are a Taylor 25th anniversary that belongs to DW (who doesn't play guitar ), another 6-string Taylor, and the first guitar DW bought me, an Ovation Legend 12-string. This year I took stock of what I hadn't played in a long time, and sold a Taylor T5, a Taylor classical (yes, I like Taylors a lot), and a Fretlight electric (if you don't know Fretlights, they have 6 LEDs in each fret and are great for learning chords, scales, and new chord voicings).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1377.jpg (814.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1375.jpg (268.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1378.jpg (554.6 KB, 21 views)
stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #30

Main gigging bass, Ibanez SR805:

20210226_160036.jpg
Old 02-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #31

Wow! I am not worthy!

Some really nice stuff here. I love the Taylor sound, but was never willing to pony up the $$. My best instruments are a Fender American Deluxe Tele and a Tacoma acoustic. Then a handful of instruments that won't impress anyone.

I picked up a couple of 100 buck "beach" guitars for various reasons throughout the years. The scary things is that I record with these and, occasionally, even play in public. The nice acoustic is a case queen that is rarely played, excepted as the preferred axe when my buddy occasionally comes over. He refuses to touch the junkers if the Tacoma is around!

I also have a Epiphone short scale bass, again 100 bucks or so. Amazingly, real bass players love it! I don't know any better because I've never played any other bass and won't pretend to be a real bass player.

In a way, I like the cheap stuff because I don't have to worry about it. My American Deluxe fell off the stand years ago and dinged a few frets. The input jack needs replacement, a common issue with tele's. My Tacoma is losing it's clear coat, but still sounds and plays great. Very frustrating given the $$ involved. The cheap stuff: nothing bad ever happens or at least nothing I would notice.

I've have a few amps and effects but don't use them much. Seems like most of my music making is laying tracks down "dry" into Garage Band or Logic, then fooling around endlessly.

PSA: Apple has a 90-day free Trial for Logic. I've used Garage Band for years, and have been auditioning Logic. I absolutely love it! The compressors are great, and the presets give a useful starting point for my type of music. Many aspects are very similar to GB, but somehow I get much better results from Logic. I'm planning to buy it when my trial expires.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:56 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
PSA: Apple has a 90-day free Trial for Logic. I've used Garage Band for years, and have been auditioning Logic.
Glad to hear you're having a good time playing and recording. And not to get into a DAW war, but I'm familiar with both Garageband and Logic, and also spent years with Cakewalk/Sonar, and about 10 years ago moved over to Studio One and recommend it most highly for its "from the ground up" approach to designing and DAW. But you also can't go wrong with Logic.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post
Glad to hear you're having a good time playing and recording. And not to get into a DAW war, but I'm familiar with both Garageband and Logic, and also spent years with Cakewalk/Sonar, and about 10 years ago moved over to Studio One and recommend it most highly for its "from the ground up" approach to designing and DAW. But you also can't go wrong with Logic.
I too have been using Cakewalk Sonar for a long time. Now the platinum version is 100% free (Cakewalk Bandlab) so I still use it. The new owners are giving it away and are supporting the product with several updates/improvements every other month and it supports VST2 and VST3. Cakewalk Sonar integrates well with my Roland MIDI controllers and hardware synthesizers. It's nice to be able to control the DAW (including recording transport functions), hardware and software synths directly from one MIDI keyboard.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:48 AM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
I too have been using Cakewalk Sonar for a long time. Now the platinum version is 100% free (Cakewalk Bandlab) so I still use it. The new owners are giving it away and are supporting the product with several updates/improvements every other month and it supports VST2 and VST3. Cakewalk Sonar integrates well with my Roland MIDI controllers and hardware synthesizers. It's nice to be able to control the DAW (including recording transport functions), hardware and software synths directly from one MIDI keyboard.
I had started with the base Studio One version when it first came out (won it at the NAMM show), and upgraded to Pro a bit later. By the time Cakewalk/Sonar first went kaput (before Bandlab) I was already on S1 full-time (I checked on the Bandlab version out or curiosity and thought it smart both to make it free and keep it mostly the same, though I understand some of the Platinum features might not have been retained).

I recently had to open a Sonar project to check an old project, and after refamiliarizing myself with its workflow remembered why I switched to S1 -- just personal preferences re: workflow I guess. Best of luck with recording projects.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here are a couple of Martins that I have. The mahogany is a 00-15M Custom, the spruce is an 00-18V. The 00-15M was half the price of the 00-18V but I have to admit I like the mahogany tone best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG5032.jpg (415.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG5023.jpg (611.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Thanks for the thoughts on DAW's. Maybe not as sexy as axes and other pretty hardware, but I'm finding more and more that I rely on DAW post processing for my sound. The few times I play live for an audience just involve a junker acoustic with a fishman pickup and amp to life to the sound.

I've played with Sonar-Bandlab and was extremely impressed with the guiter effects and amps. I never got serious since I've chosen to remain a Mac guy and Sonar-Bandlab is PC online when I last checked.

Thanks for the Studio 1 recommendation. Both of your comments seem to reflect my own research. I may try out their free version. I find all the price levels confusing, though, and their top level is twice as expensive as Logic. At some point, I just need to get back to making music!

Getting back to hardware, here's my favorite axe:

IMG_0816(1).jpg

Beautiful and plays like butter.

I've been tempted to pick up a humbucker guiter. Nearly bought an Epiphone Les Paul years ago. Love SG's too, but I don't see them around much. Maybe a Strat...

Honestly, I was growing bored with my Tele and tube amp sound. Probably my limitations as a player! These days, I'm spending more time in my DAW (Logic or whatever) playing around with different effects and virtual amps in order to get more sonic variety as part of the recording process. It seems much more flexible and inexpensive. I never developed a hardware pedal board and performing amp setup due to the high cost of hardware and my very limited needs re live performance; my more interesting stuff is just recorded in my basic home studio.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #37

Quote:
I had started with the base Studio One version when it first came out (won it at the NAMM show), and upgraded to Pro a bit later. By the time Cakewalk/Sonar first went kaput (before Bandlab) I was already on S1 full-time (I checked on the Bandlab version out or curiosity and thought it smart both to make it free and keep it mostly the same, though I understand some of the Platinum features might not have been retained).

I recently had to open a Sonar project to check an old project, and after refamiliarizing myself with its workflow remembered why I switched to S1 -- just personal preferences re: workflow I guess. Best of luck with recording projects.
I had the Sonar Producer 8.5 version with all the soft synths and then the Sonar X3 version. Then Roland sold Cakewalk to Gibson and things went south after Gibson filed for bankruptcy. Gibson sold Cakewalk to Singapore based Bandlab Technologies who made it a freeware platform. Cakewalk Bandlab is the full Sonar Platinum version (64 bit version only) but it does not come with all the soft synths the original Platinum version came with as part of the $500 bundle. However, all the soft synths that came with my previous versions plus all the third party VST plugins and synths run on Cakewalk bandlab without any issues. It also works well with my Line 6 POD HD for recording guitars and bass. However these days when I want to compose something quickly I just play the guitar and bass parts with my keyboards along with the synth, piano, strings, and percussion tracks.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #38

@Tom52 those Martin mahogany-tops are very underappreciated IMO. I love the warm tone. Is the "custom" aspect the wide nut? If so, perfect.

I don't have a picture handy, but I've re-braced a couple old Harmony guitars (from ladder to X), and one of them was a mahogany-top. I copied Martin's 15-style bracing pattern. I like it, but I still like the Martins a lot better.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #39

EKO 12 string 1969, EKO 6 string 1969, DeArmond Pilot Pro Bass , DeArmond T-400 (orange), and DeArmond X-155 (tobacco burst). There have been others in the past but this is what is left. All are in showroom condition. EKO was popular in Europe and England in the late 60s. They also made Vox. My 2 EKOs are now more than 50 years old. DeArmonds were modeled after Guild and sold in the US for a few short years. I bought these around 2000 so they are only about 20 years old. Action is very smooth on all of them. Unfortunately arthritis makes for limited playing these days.20210228_125359.jpeg20210228_125449.jpeg20210228_125544.jpeg20210228_125712.jpeg20210228_125924.jpeg
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #40

Very impressive range: 6-string, 12-string, jazz, bass.

For those who are getting stiff in old age, would nylon be an option?