Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2021, 04:10 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does this count?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glenn-two-ukuleles.jpg (559.0 KB, 27 views)
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2021, 06:55 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
@Tom52 those Martin mahogany-tops are very underappreciated IMO. I love the warm tone. Is the "custom" aspect the wide nut? If so, perfect.

I don't have a picture handy, but I've re-braced a couple old Harmony guitars (from ladder to X), and one of them was a mahogany-top. I copied Martin's 15-style bracing pattern. I like it, but I still like the Martins a lot better.
Both the 00-15M and the 00-18V have 1.75 nut which I much prefer on an acoustic.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:08 AM   #43

dixonge, OK by me.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:21 AM   #44

Quote:
Very impressive range: 6-string, 12-string, jazz, bass.

For those who are getting stiff in old age, would nylon be an option?

Unfortunately nylon strings do not address stiff hands or arthritis. They are easier on the finger tips if they are not calloused.

Many of the well made electric guitars that have been given a good set up with appropriate strings can be very smooth, soft to play, and easier on the finger tips than most acoustic guitars.
I had a chance once to play a mid 60s Mosrite that was given a professional set up with strings almost touching the frets that seemed to play itself.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:05 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Very impressive range: 6-string, 12-string, jazz, bass.

For those who are getting stiff in old age, would nylon be an option?
That could be part of a solution, but the neck width and shape of classical model might not work for you. The neck is usually wider and thicker. But it depends on the individual guitar of course.

Classical models can be very different. If one learns proper technique and posture then when you play you're minimizing the stress. Just now I picked up my beater which is pretty much normal classical guitar parameters. My fingering hand is not really liking this, especially not playing much over the past. So all of my proper technique is not helping much with injuries in shoulder, wrist, finger joints, and so on.

If you play one note on a classical, though, it requires less finger pressure than an acoustic.

That reminds that hand size and finger length are worth something. You can overcome a few problems that come with short stubby fingers, but your hand has to be comfortable with a given guitar neck.

Unfortunately you have to buy and try. And a cheapo guitar will be very challenging.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:06 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Unfortunately nylon strings do not address stiff hands or arthritis. They are easier on the finger tips if they are not calloused.

Many of the well made electric guitars that have been given a good set up with appropriate strings can be very smooth, soft to play, and easier on the finger tips than most acoustic guitars.
I had a chance once to play a mid 60s Mosrite that was given a professional set up with strings almost touching the frets that seemed to play itself.

Cheers!
Obviously it varies from guitar to guitar, but Taylor acoustics have a pretty good reputation for being "easy to play". On my Taylor I can easily play barre chords up to the 12th fret. That's one of the reasons I bought it.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:18 AM   #47

I see Taylor Guitars have been mentioned a few times. Are you all aware of the United Airlines Broken Taylor guitar Saga? Baggage handlers broke guitar, airline wouldn't pay for it. Members of the Sons of Maxwell wrote a trilogy of songs about the incident. Here's the first song, it's catchy!

Here's a wiki article, There is a better right up, but I can't find it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breaks_Guitars
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:44 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

Cheers!
Per this article:

"Studies have proven that the finger movements and exercise related to playing can actually help arthritis sufferers. In fact, arthritis sufferers who began to play an instrument improved the dexterity and strength in their fingers and other muscles. Instead of stopping, practice for shorter periods of time and be sure to stretch and warm-up every time you pick up your instrument."

https://makingmusicmag.com/how-to-pr...-in-musicians/

I try to play some piano/keyboards or guitar/bass every day to maintain my dexterity.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Per this article:

"Studies have proven that the finger movements and exercise related to playing can actually help arthritis sufferers. In fact, arthritis sufferers who began to play an instrument improved the dexterity and strength in their fingers and other muscles. Instead of stopping, practice for shorter periods of time and be sure to stretch and warm-up every time you pick up your instrument."

I try to play some piano/keyboards or guitar/bass every day to maintain my dexterity.
Well there's my motivation to stop procrastinating about my ukulele and piano playing...

Thanks!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:54 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is my stable. I played when I was young and then restarted in 2016. I mostly play classical guitar music on classical guitars, but dabbled in jazz for a bit. I am strictly fingers/nails. I am sure that I own a couple picks, but it would take me a while to find one. First is a classical guitar built by the Australian luthier Ashley Sanders. It is a spruce top with Burl Ash sides and back (lattice design and this is a marketing picture from a guitar dealer). Next is a traditional classical guitar built in Valencia, Spain by Jesus Marzal (cedar/Indian Rosewood). Lower left is my 1975 Gibson ES-175D (I am the original owner). And lower right is my Yamaha SLG200W which is my 'travel guitar'. I can plug headphones into it and play in a hotel room and my wife can still watch TV. It is set up like a classical guitar with a 52mm neck width and nylon strings.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sanders57.jpg (83.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg marzal-1.jpg (215.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 175D-1.jpg (149.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SLG200NW1.jpg (160.5 KB, 14 views)
DaveLeeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:02 PM   #51

Oh, those silent guitars are fun. I'm currently ripping off the design for a "modular" guitar. Basically interchangeable pickups + bolt-on neck + those Yamaha-style wings.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

Koa!

I love Koa!
Goodall Royal Hawaiian
Custom Special
Asher Ultra T
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2EEA2307-A33A-43CA-833E-3C7FAFB7C50E.jpeg (112.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 400BA40D-83BC-43D5-B5B1-97A7D7AE0CBE.jpg (651.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 6636EB2C-7F87-47F3-A9B4-8F0B24FAF3A4.jpg (884.7 KB, 26 views)
Bagabonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:53 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Per this article:

I've watched some of the youtube videos of Les Paul playing at his club in his last years, and I think he suffered from arthritis by then (talked about in this link). Seems he could still play a fast and complex run, but it would be short, and then he'd play something less demanding for a while. He had to pace himself.

Although I barely play guitar (I can play keyboards a bit), I'm enjoying seeing what you are sharing. I don't think non-musicians can appreciate just how intimate one can be with an instrument. You come to learn every strength and weakness and quirk, and embrace them all.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Kramer bass
Old 03-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

Kramer bass

I had one of those basses back in the day...
This was 1982. The band was Pacific Brass and Electric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD8288CF-340A-416A-BB6F-E6375ACFD86A.jpg (304.7 KB, 21 views)
Bagabonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:44 PM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

Anyone still actively gigging here?
I never played in a working band until a surprisingly late start in my mid 40s.
We worked it pretty hard as local musicians with day jobs ( 50+ gigs per year ) for about a decade. The band dissolved a few years ago, and I was actually kinda glad to return to a more normal life!
But anyway...just curious if anyone's out there playing covers/originals or whatever for an audience now and then these days?
someday soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:26 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by someday soon View Post
Anyone still actively gigging here?
I never played in a working band until a surprisingly late start in my mid 40s.
We worked it pretty hard as local musicians with day jobs ( 50+ gigs per year ) for about a decade. The band dissolved a few years ago, and I was actually kinda glad to return to a more normal life!
But anyway...just curious if anyone's out there playing covers/originals or whatever for an audience now and then these days?
I average a dozen gigs a year, gigged 19 times in 2019, none in 2020

I was in 3 gigging bands for a short while a few years ago but there was too much scheduling conflict. These were hobby/weekend bands not full time working musicians. I'm currently in 2 gigging bands plus one jam band. One of the bands does have about 10 original songs but they are rarely played at gigs...we might sneak one in occasionally but 98% of what we play is covers.

The jam band doesn't gig other than an outdoor party in summer. Too much of our set list wouldn't cut it because it's mostly obscure deep cuts that no one's heard before. We have a core group of 4 people and a few occasional guests, all of them great musicians. The best part of the summer event is the acoustic singalong. We've had as many as 7 people playing acoustic guitars and a few more adding vocals around the firepit.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:05 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

I have several (because time + money + obsession + tone!!11!)

I've only built a few instruments. Last one was a Martin OM clone a couple years ago. (Sorry for auto-rotation. Any easy solutions to that?)
Wait. You BUILT that guitar? Wow. I'm otherwise speechless.
Vinnygret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi folks!
My favorite thread in a while😃
Black acoustic is an inexpensive Fender Catalina from Korea.
Cutaway is a Taylor 355-CE 12-string acoustic-electric
Red solid body is a rare Guild S200 Thunderbird. Has a built in kickstand.
Two on the wall are pure decorative items but they play

The Guild is one of only a few known remaining intact. Seems the kickstand props up the guitar to stand precariously on its own. Once it falls backwards the headstock breaks off from the neck, and most of the 200 or so made in the mid 60s are either repaired or trashed. This one I bought from a friend years ago it still all original parts. A Thunderbird like this is on a wall in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as part of the Muddy Waters exhibit.

All 3 play great for me, and these are what I have retained with me since first picking up my first guitar in 1963, after hearing my first Beatles record on the radio, and wanting to play like them ever since (still cannot, dang it)!!!
mcbraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

I have several (because time + money + obsession + tone!!11!)

I've only built a few instruments. Last one was a Martin OM clone a couple years ago. (Sorry for auto-rotation. Any easy solutions to that?)
Fantastic work!
Old 03-10-2021, 06:45 AM   #60

I know virtually nothing about guitars, but as a hobbyist woodworker I know about a guy named Grit Laskin. He teaches occasionally at the woodworking school I sometimes attend (for other things, not luthier school lol). For those who want to see his ebony inlays on guitars, check out his gallery.

https://williamlaskin.com/gallery/

And if you're interested in the school I mention, it's www.marcadams.com and is in central Indiana.