Join Early Retirement Today

Had to keep my mouth shut last night...
Old 10-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Had to keep my mouth shut last night...

I went to a party with a bunch of former coworkers last night. The hostess has been asking me questions about ER and what the processes are, etc over the last few weeks/months. Another friend has been asking me questions about healthcare options when you retire, etc...

Turns out the hostess gave her notice earlier this week. Her boss (one of my former bosses, and a friend and attendee at the party) asked her not to tell anyone. (Which to me is rude and doesn't let her share her news, get the going away lunch, etc.)

The other friend hasn't given notice - but her husband was opening talking about her quitting soon - a few people overheard.

I had so many people tell me how happy I looked... I replied it was because I no longer had to go to work!!!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #2

Sometimes it is hard to keep from gloating.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I was talking to my cousin about BIL and his purchase of a 2nd home in Scottsdale at a family party. Her husband was the boss of BIL and offered him an unpublished early retirement package within a month! So retired at 56!
Old 10-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe you're keeping your mouth shut but obviously everyone else is talking. Your one friend told you (and probably others) she's retiring and the other friend's husband is telling all.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #5

Actually - the hostess told me and asked for advice (before the party). No one at the party accept her husband, her boss, and myself knew she'd given notice. (I kept my mouth shut at her request).

For the other friend - again, she's been asking for advise for a while and I kept my mouth shut... I don't think she knew her husband was blabbing...
Old 10-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I had so many people tell me how happy I looked... I replied it was because I no longer had to go to work!!!!
I heard that same thing frequently over the first year or two after quitting my job, and usually gave the same response.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I was talking to my cousin about BIL and his purchase of a 2nd home in Scottsdale at a family party. Her husband was the boss of BIL and offered him an unpublished early retirement package within a month! So retired at 56!
Sounds like your BIL owes you a nice dinner for the assist.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I was blabbing about retirement for about two years before I left and nobody believed me. I was amazed at how shocked they seemed when I gave official notice. The only two people who believed me, peers and not management, made their own plans to quit when I did. They were younger and found new jobs rather than FIRE. Management seemed totally caught off guard.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love it when retirement discussions start and people ask for your age.
"Oh 53, you've got a long way to go then." Thats when the little voice in my head says,"Not as long as you think!"
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #10

I just talked with my old boss who's still working. He asked me if I was working again or if I was on an extended vacation. I said no work for me and left it at that. I think all my ex co-workers never thought I could just quit for good when they can't.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Sounds like your BIL owes you a nice dinner for the assist.
Yes but it was totally a surprise to both of us. Do I deserve reward for such a random event?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I was blabbing about retirement for about two years before I left and nobody believed me. I was amazed at how shocked they seemed when I gave official notice. The only two people who believed me, peers and not management, made their own plans to quit when I did. They were younger and found new jobs rather than FIRE.
Yeah, that's kinda how it rolled with me, as well. When I was getting frustrated with stuff, I would (at times) fly off the handle and say that I was leaving the rat race forever. Of course, everyone thought I was full of it (especially being as young as I was), which was OK for me. When I finally did "turn in my notice" (being military, it was a little different, you have to apply and then be approved), it shocked all my co-workers even though I had been bitching for quite a while. It was really entertaining...I had a particularly challenging day on the flight line, so I came in afterwards, filled out the application and "clicked the box". I then printed it out and gave it to my boss and told him he might be hearing from the his boss and then went home. It was one of the best days of my w*rking days!

Edit...ah...had to go back and relive that wonderful day. I had this image on my computer desktop until my last day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retire.jpg (105.1 KB, 163 views)
Old 10-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I went to a Halloween party with my girlfriend Saturday and I was the only retired person there. Yup, the usual "what do you do"?

I thought I had company when another guy said he retired from engineering, but then he added that he was now teaching at a tech school.

Dunno. Me thinks lots of people are actually scared to retire, maybe that's why they don't plan for it?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

Dunno. Me thinks lots of people are actually scared to retire, maybe that's why they don't plan for it?
I think you are onto something. Whenever the discussion with my friends/peer group (all early to mid 40's in age) turn to retirement, they really just *assume* it will happen. There seems to be very little planning and almost zero execution. I understand procrastination and all (especially since I am the worst at it!) but when it comes to retirement planning, procrastination is a terrible idea!
Old 10-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I think her boss is wrong to tell her not to tell others. People like to say goodbye. I fell into working after retiring. I had never taught but an opportunity to teach at the college level fell into my lap 7 months in and 4 years later you could not pull it from my cold, dead hands. I teach online from anywhere which is perfect.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:58 AM   #16

I started discussing retirement with my boss about 3 years in advance as it took that long to find my replacement and bring her up to speed. She was aware of the timing but did not disclose. Announcement made a couple of months before the actual date which was extended a couple of times. I think people must have suspected I was retiring based on my engagement level, especially near the end. Seems like a long time ago.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
I love it when retirement discussions start and people ask for your age.

"Oh 53, you've got a long way to go then." Thats when the little voice in my head says,"Not as long as you think!"

+1
I'm 56, just announced my ER, and people are amazed.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I went to a Halloween party with my girlfriend Saturday and I was the only retired person there. Yup, the usual "what do you do"?

I thought I had company when another guy said he retired from engineering, but then he added that he was now teaching at a tech school.

That doesn't surprise though Robbie. First, I think our country gives the absurd lesson that if one isn't "working" one is worthless. As a society I find we measure prestige, self worth by what we do on the job.
Studies have shown Americans routinely, don't take vacations and now thanks to technology even when we do take a vacation some type of work is being done.

The saddest thing i saw this year, I was on "it's a small world" at Disney with my nephews, guy in front of me was yammering on his cell phone while his two kids where bouncing up and down trying to get him to engage. and yes, he was loud enough that we knew the phone conversation.

So know you have Joe, everyman who has been told for 50+ years that work=good, no work= lazy slob, that can take some getting use to. ESPECIALLY if you retire young. I still get the "are you looking for another job" question.

Next, I know for in my case, it took me a while to get use to the idea that I wouldn't have a check coming in. I mean hey, this girl has worked since my first job as a camp counselor 40 years ago. lol It still a little nerve wracking when I see a balance go down. probably because it always seems to be easier to spend it than to save it. I've done very good preparations and done 100's of spending analogies that all say "you'll be good, as long as you forget about the Tahitian pool boy" and still there are days where I worry.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Some people love to work, some people need to work, and some people don't have the guts to quit and not work. I don't fall in to any of those categories
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Some people love to work, some people need to work, and some people don't have the guts to quit and not work. I don't fall in to any of those categories
+100! Neither do I
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote