Hardwood Floors

P.s. I think I got the wood and put it in place, and he nailed.

It wasn't hard. You'd have to ask Dad why not. :)

Dad planned to be an architect, but became a lawyer. I forgot why.

(and he didn't use a nail gun. He said Kat, this nail has to go there, or something like that, explaining while he nailed.)

It's still beautiful 30 years later.

Mom and Dad are still there.

I figured I was missing a few essential details. Now I see.

Freebird, You and me are in upstate NY, so here's my question. I apologize for a brief departure from the OP's question.

You used the word tumbleweed.

Kate

As a former NYer, I never associated tumbleweeds with NYS, leaves yes, tumbleweeds no:confused:, but I suppose some areas may be different. Living in the southwest, definitely.

I was referring to the small collections of dog hair (they do look like miniature tumbleweeds) that naturally form along the base of the walls where the hardwood floor meets the baseboard trim. My guess is the slight air currents created by walking down the hall pushes the hair to the sides where it collects in bunches.

A real tumbleweed is a desert region pheonenom. Any spaghetti Western of note always had good tumbleweed footage. :D

End of hijack. ;)

Last edited:
P.s. I think I got the wood and put it in place, and he nailed.

It wasn't hard. You'd have to ask Dad why not. :)

Dad planned to be an architect, but became a lawyer. I forgot why.

(and he didn't use a nail gun. He said Kat, this nail has to go there, or something like that, explaining while he nailed.)

It's still beautiful 30 years later.

Mom and Dad are still there.

As the wife of a retired architect your Dad is a wise man.

Three years ago my husband installed a prefinished wood floor in a room converted from a loft in our former (wood frame) home. He used a beefy plywood as underlayment. We already had the necessary saw in the garage. He purchased a nail gun designed specifically for wood flooring. Those nail guns have increased in quality and reliability of late. It saved his back and knees and the result was beautiful.

We just installed 500 square feet of pergo in our house....lot of work and achy knees!!! If you can afford to get it done, do so :) I would go with a Home Depot/Lowe's....independant contractors can be dicy....definitely ask for references and go see the end product if you can.

The price is in line. That is a project you can do yourself if you have the tools, the back and the knees. It is not easy work if you have not done it before but can certainly be done. DW, the Kids and I put done over 2000 ft of the pre-finished board this year at the lake house. If you can get at least there people working on it that will help.

Just for clarification this was the 3/4in solid wood. Red oak. IT just had a factory finish they say is harder than what can be put down as it is baked on. It does make putting it down harder since you have to blend the wood as you install it but it looks good!

I strongly recommend you find a good, professional installer.

Can't say if the price is high or not. Need to know more about the hardwood. What species? What width(s)? What thickness? What finish? All these contribute to the final cost.

My approach was to visit the wholesaler and get their recommendation on products and a good installer. I wound up going with a pre-finished 3/4" light oak with several coats of a hard silica overcoat. These finishes are performed in a dust free environment that can't be duplicated on the job. Another advantage to prefinished product is that once the final nail is driven - you can walk on it right away.

I chose widths in a 3", 4", 5" repeating pattern. Job was done about 5 years ago and still looks great. Best recommendation - go with 3/4" thick product 3" wide minimum. Buy from the wholesaler. Negotiate with the installer. Get a good one. Doors and door jambs will probably need to be cut down. Baseboard should be removed and set on top of the new floor! If your baseboard is beat - replace it. Then shoe (not quarter round) installed. Remember, the floor will look great, nasty old trim will detract. Its straightforward and especially now-a-days doesn't have to be expensive.

Pic from the newly completed and self installed pine floor. 3 1/8 inch planks unfinished were purchased from Lumber Liquidator. Took more wood than I thought due to 10-20% "wastage" in addition to th 5%+ that you normally loose to cutting and fitting. The floor was finished with three coats of quick drying polyurethane. I hope it is able to survive "dog wear" but somehow I doubt it.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom