Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Has anyone considered . . .
Old 09-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I think the radical Islamics probably hate us more after our so called 'War on terror' than before.
Just wondering... Are there different degrees of hate?
1. I hate you a lot
2. I hate you more than a lot
3. I wish you dead
4. I wish you to suffer before you are dead, etc.

I don't wanna step in it, but if the radical Islamics hated us and wished us dead before, and they hate us and wish us dead now... what's the difference?

Charles:
Quote:
I wonder if there are opportunities to help on that front as an older person.* Perhaps if in no other way, to assist an organization such as www.woundedwarriorproject.org?* Other areas?
I'd say if this organization doesn't offer you anything you can get a handle on, keep pursuing. Follow your passion in this. It will lead you to the right place.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Just wondering... Are there different degrees of hate?
1. I hate you a lot
2. I hate you more than a lot
3. I wish you dead
4. I wish you to suffer before you are dead, etc.

I don't wanna step in it, but if the radical Islamics hated us and wished us dead before, and they hate us and wish us dead now... what's the difference?

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

The difference is leadership and understanding.
Someone has to be the 'leader' to lead us out of the quagmire. - If you think that war solves things, look at Israel and Palestine. So the only way to turn this 'hate' around is with the 'opposite' of hate. Not more hate.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #23

Cut-Throat, nice thought, and I know most folks are now almost allergic to historical precedent, but ... I don't think love and understanding would have helped us much against fascists 60 years ago.

But this is hijacking the thread, and not the point.* You can empathize with radical Islamists, and I'll seek to volunteer my time where I believe I may help otherwise.* Best of luck.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
Cut-Throat, nice thought, and I know most folks are now almost allergic to historical precedent, but ... I don't think love and understanding would have helped us much against fascists 60 years ago.

But this is hijacking the thread, and not the point. You can empathize with radical Islamists, and I'll seek to volunteer my time where I believe I may help otherwise. Best of luck.
Don't put words in my mouth! I don't empathize with radical Islamists, I just don't believe in creating more of them, which the policies that you are in favor of do!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #25

How the heck do you know what policies I support, friend. You took your position ... reread it.

Back to the thread.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
How the heck do you know what policies I support, friend. You took your position ... reread it.

Back to the thread.
I can see reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure if it relates at all but anyone looked at score ?
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a friend who has worked at SCORE in Bellingham, WA. SCORE there apparantly has (or has had) a very good stable of retired consultants and other experts. Unpaid positions.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #29

Cut-Throat, I was going to let your juvenile comment slide ... but considering the TV coverage over the last week, the importance of this subject, and lack of traffic on this thread, perhaps we can take this a bit further.

If I take your comments at face value, I gather you take a pacifist approach here, and you would refuse to wage war on those who wage war on us, correct? Or, are you just going down the current liberal path and tilting against the war in Iraq, seeking to get a few anti-Bush digs in?

When I say I may have an interest in devoting time to assist in the war against terrorists, I mean those who seek to kill Americans and other innocents here and abroad. I think that would be a fine use of time in retirement ... I've never liked thugs.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:24 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
If we would have spent 300 Billion on the Peace Corp, instead of going to War on Iraq, we would have done far more to douse the flames of radicals, than killing their families and friends.
Perhaps but according to the US Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs:

"The U.S., in its economic relationships with developing countries, provided net financial flows of $346 billion in 2003.

** U.S. net imports of goods and services from developing countries totaled $309 billion in 2003.
** The U.S. contributed over 32 percent of total Official Development Assistance (ODA) by G-7 countries in 2003.
** The U.S. contributed over 70 percent of aggregate G-7 Net Private Capital Flows, Net Imports, and Private Voluntary Grants to developing countries.
** Remittances to developing countries from U.S. residents and temporary workers in the U.S. totaled $27.9 billion in 2003.
** The U.S. ranks first in combined ODA, private capital flows, imports, grants from NGOs, and total contributions.

U.S. Represents Nearly 70% of G-7 Aid, Trade, Investment, and Private Grant Flows to the Developing World "

We can always do more but I don't think we get recognized for even a fraction of the good work we do now.* If all this aid and financial assistance doesn't get the world to stop hating us now . . . I'm not sure more will do the trick.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If all this aid and financial assistance doesn't get the world to stop hating us now . . . I'm not sure more will do the trick.
It never did before. No good deed goes unpunished.