Has anyone retired in Belize?

txtig

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW and I are five days into a four week stay in San Pedro, Belize (on the island of Ambergris Caye). We’re just a bit south of town in a one bedroom condo in a very small resort. Our unit overlooks a beautiful pool with the sea just beyond it. It is simply lovely. I could see myself living here permanently if I could talk DW into it. Has anyone on the forum retired to Belize? If so, I’d love to hear your comments on living here.

DW and I are five days into a four week stay in San Pedro, Belize (on the island of Ambergris Caye). We’re just a bit south of town in a one bedroom condo in a very small resort. Our unit overlooks a beautiful pool with the sea just beyond it. It is simply lovely. I could see myself living here permanently if I could talk DW into it. Has anyone on the forum retired to Belize? If so, I’d love to hear your comments on living here.

How are the mosquitoes? We spent two weeks on Belize in 1999 and got chewed up, despite using Deep Woods Off the entire time. We were on outer islands - Manta and Blackbird Cayes. Maybe better now?

How's the wind? My friend just got back from there it was like 20mph+ much of the time.

So far, no mosquitoes. There is almost a constant sea breeze that has kept insects to a minimum. We have seen some flying insects right around sunset, but nothing that has been a problem. We’ve been leaving our patio doors open during the day for the breeze and haven’t seen any bugs indoors yet.

I'd take a look at historical weather and insect population charts. I imagine it's blazing hot and buggy in July/Aug/Sept

This morning it was fairly windy, but not enough to chase me back indoors. The wind has tapered off a bit now and is basically a very pleasant breeze. As far as being hot and buggy in July/Aug/Sept, we were here once before (about five years ago) in August and it was a bit warmer, but not too bad. And, I don’t recall the bugs being bad either. But, I’m from Houston, so probably have a higher tolerance for the heat than a lot of others.

We looked very seriously into moving there when we retired, to the point of researching and visiting potential houses to buy. We spent quite a bit of time there. In the end we decided to stay in the states because:
1) Crime rate. It is just high enough that my wife's happiness would have been affected. Research this before you move there. It doesn't seem to be getting better.
2) Sandflies. Visit in the dry windy season and you won't notice them, but outside those months they can be a real nuisance. I hate flies so it did annoy me.
3) Healthcare. The facilities and services available are OK, but below average. We expected to visit the states or Mexico for any serious illnesses.

I still think there are many upsides to living there; cost of living, dollar, english language, friendly (in general) locals, but in the end the scales tipped away from moving there permanently.

Good luck if you do end up there and would love to hear about your experiences at that time.

They are from Houston so I am sure the heat, bugs, and humidity are not an issue.

We got all of that in spades here in H-town!!!:LOL:

that's why I moved to Idaho 8 years ago

40 years of htown weather was enough!

that's why I moved to Idaho 8 years ago

40 years of htown weather was enough!

We moved to Cypress three years ago from Honolulu. So, the change in weather, humidity, and bugs was a bit of a shock. That and allergy season seems to be year round.

But, we do love it here. My crossfit gym is a mile away, my BJJ gym is 2.7 miles away. The DS school is 2.5 miles away. My whole world is limited to a 3 mile radius around me and we LOVE IT!!!

And a Costco is going in 1.5 miles from my front door by end of summer. Don't get no better than this!!!!

We moved to Cypress three years ago from Honolulu. So, the change in weather, humidity, and bugs was a bit of a shock. That and allergy season seems to be year round.

But, we do love it here. My crossfit gym is a mile away, my BJJ gym is 2.7 miles away. The DS school is 2.5 miles away. My whole world is limited to a 3 mile radius around me and we LOVE IT!!!

And a Costco is going in 1.5 miles from my front door by end of summer. Don't get no better than this!!!!

glad you like it - I have some friends that live in cypress

DW and I couldn't wait to get out of there - Ike was the last straw

glad you like it - I have some friends that live in cypress

DW and I couldn't wait to get out of there - Ike was the last straw

Thank goodness we missed Ike. Glad you all made it out okay. We did get Harvey a couple years back and quite a bit of separate 100 year floods the year prior. But we were high and dry. Very thankful.

.....and there's only ONE beer

That is because the Bowen family that owns the Belikin beer company got a law passed which bans imports from México and Guatemala.
The Bowens also own the Coca Cola franchise.
And, the bottled water monopoly.
The saying in Belize is: if you are drinking it, then it's Belikin.

Several have mentioned the crime rate here. I think I would agree if we were staying in Belize City. But, San Pedro seems pretty safe. Not sure about other areas on the mainland.

when it's 93, humid and you are slapping mosquitos every 30 seconds, the last thing you want is a "good" beer - I just want something cold to slam

I imagine it is probably not as buggy as people state. Hot humid weather in general doesn't necessarily bring out the bugs in the daytime and hopefully if you have an enclosed lanai type structure, you are golden at night.

I’ve read that the local police can be corrupt...and the crime against expats can be overlooked by them. There’s something to be said for picking up the phone in the US and calling 911, knowing Americans are charging to your aid!!

The last time I was here (five years ago), this was true. But, I was surprised to see quite a few imported beers for sale on this trip, both in the bars and in stores. Land Shark beer looks like it’s pretty popular here, and I’m seeing a lot of Heineken as well. But, I’m sticking with the Belikin!! It just feels right.

Last edited:
If I wanted to live in a place with crime--but with incredible weather--I'd just move to Puerto Rico. At least it's large enough to have decent healthcare and Walgreens.

So far, no mosquitoes. There is almost a constant sea breeze that has kept insects to a minimum. We have seen some flying insects right around sunset, but nothing that has been a problem. We’ve been leaving our patio doors open during the day for the breeze and haven’t seen any bugs indoors yet.

Good to hear. Our trip was in November and the mosquitoes were very bad. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom