Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Have nothing - getting settlement money - input welcome
Old 03-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm wondering why a shoulder injury would prevent you from working as a science teacher. It sure wouldn't keep me from performing my job duties as a research analytical chemist. Things just sound fishy to me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:09 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer08
I'm wondering why a shoulder injury would prevent you from working as a science teacher. It sure wouldn't keep me from performing my job duties as a research analytical chemist. Things just sound fishy to me.
Hanging around this board is helping me understand the "J" part of what is means to be INTJ.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Ha
Old 03-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Hanging around this board is helping me understand the "J" part of what is means to be INTJ.
Not talking about yourself, are you?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer08
Why does that sound fishy? You don't have any idea what my injury/disability is. Passed 2 IMEs (Workers Comp and BX/BS LTD) fully certifying that I was indeed fully incapable of performing my required duties in the classroom. Not going to go into the details. Has nothing to do with my request for advice on my W/C situation.

That was certainly an uncalled for statement, and I did take that personally. I would think a good analytical chemist would make sure they had all the facts before jumping to conclusions about anything being "fishy".

If you have anything constructive to add to this thread, great. Otherwise, get off my cloud...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:05 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Might just as well name yourself "pinata"...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Not talking about yourself, are you?
Yikes, taking on water and sinking fast...
Old 03-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal
From my quick read of this posting you haven't indicated what your level of investing experience is. Would recommend you go to the Vanguard.com site and take their little self guided test on asset allocation. When you set your AA then you could talk to them about how best to invest it. Or go to the Vanguard Diehards site, new one is at http://www.diehards.org/forum/index.php. You will find a lot of ideas and advice at this site as well as suggested reading if you want to become a better investor.

I would suggest you do not take up the matter with a broker friend as he would have a built in bias. You are lucky he's on vacation .

Les
Thanks, Les! Looks like a great link. I'm checking it out now...
Old 03-15-2007, 02:25 AM   #28

As a lawyer and legal counsel let me mention that those litigations are the longest, nastiest and most expensive ones where one party (or both) states that he/she does not sue for the money but as a matter of principle.
At the end of it usually everybody wishes never to have started....

As a lawyer in such "principle matters" I would make sure always to receive advances that cover my work up to the minute and to have my own liability docs waterproof. Such clients tend to turn in a minute... as a matter of principle.

I do not say that you are one of those - just be alert.

Take care!
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks, Chris. Great advice.

I will definitely tone down that type of rhetoric...

Actually, my law firm will consult (and already has consulted) with the lead attorney of these other two cases that mine would mirror. These other attorneys that successfully litigated are licensed in other states, otherwise I would try to contract their services. I have talked briefly to one lead attorney who won this case in order to get his permission to consult with my attorneys:

U.S. District Court (Jury Trial)
$6,375,000.00

$750,000.00 FOR NEGLIGENCE
$550,000.00 FOR DEFAMATION
$642,000.00 FOR TORTIOUS INTERFERENCE WITH PROSPECTIVE ECONOMIC ADVANTAGE
$3,000,000.00 FOR PUNITIVE DAMAGES
$1,433,000 FOR COURT COSTS, ATTY FEES

The other case is listed as follows:

District Court
$5,029,449.12 + INT, COST, ATTY FEES

--Count as filed: NEGL, NEGLIGENCE (GENERAL)
XXXXXXXXXX MORTGAGE COMPANY Disposed: JUDGEMENT FOR PLAINTIFF , xx/xx/2005. Jury Trial.

--Count as filed: OTHER, IMPAIRMENT OF CREDIT RATING
XXXXXXXXXX MORTGAGE COMPANY Disposed: JUDGEMENT FOR PLAINTIFF , xx/xx/2005. Jury Trial.

--Count as filed: OTHER, DEFAMATION

--Count as filed: OTHER, INTERFERENCE WITH PROPSPECTIVE ECONOMIC ADVANTAGE

--Count as filed: OTHER, BREACH OF IMPLIED COVENANT OF GOOD FAITH AND FAIR DEALING

I hestitate to list the mortgage company's name here in public. May be OK. I'm not sure, so...

Anyway, I was STUNNED to read about these cases. I thought I was the only one...

Now I'm in it for the $$$.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #30

Those cases that you listed are not helpful because they don't have any identifying information, such as a case name, a case number, and the name of the court. Please post that information as well so we can verify.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
Those cases that you listed are not helpful because they don't have any identifying information, such as a case name, a case number, and the name of the court. Please post that information as well so we can verify.
JC, Google is your friend:

not sure what to make of this, but it seems like a match.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff165984.htm

Quote:
JUDGE: REBECCA B. NIGHTINGALE

CASE NO.CJ-03-4426
DATE NOVEMBER 28, 2005

MELBA GILLEAN VS. AMERIQUEST MORTGAGE COMPANY
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

A word of caution on that site... Some very emotional victims - over the edge - need to pick through and you eventually will get the GENERAL idea of what happened. I would be careful about getting into that war... Also, some trolls in there and some posers. Not who they say they are. Makes it harder, but eventually you can figure it out.

I have talked to some fine folks on the Vanguard site, and I am ordering a basic investing book suggested by most there. Should be very helpful.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsprik
A word of caution on that site... Some very emotional victims
Yes, I am generally very skeptical of any of the complaint sites on the web. It is easy for people to exaggerate, and leave out important points. And just because company XYZ gets a bunch of complaints, well, since we do not know how many satisfied customers there are, we really can't come to much of a conclusion.

I just threw it out there, as it seemed to match. May be of no value at all to anyone. So take it all with a giant block of salt.

On the investment side of things - you will get plenty of good solid advice here. The 'victim' thing is just something people here will jump on. Once you get past that, you will find plenty of help offered.

-ERD50

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

ERD50, you hit the nail on the head with the "victim" thing. If the post didn't go into the specifics, there would have been no discussion from others about dsprik's situation. I understand the need to vent and commiserate but people need to realize much is lost in the translation of written words. This is a highly emotional time for this poster. The rest of us have not lived through it and therefore have no emotional attachment. We have ability to step back and analyze the situation. Also, not everyone posting on the internet is truthful so I tend to take all I read with a grain of salt...just like you mentioned in your last post. I think this is what upset dsprik with my previous post. If the OP was only about money and how to invest it, I would not responded because I wouldn't have a clue. I'm a member here to learn such things. Most people don't blindly believe everything they read or are told...that's my "analytical" side showing through.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #35

Regarding the "MELBA GILLEAN VS. AMERIQUEST MORTGAGE COMPANY" case, it is currently on appeal, apparently at the Oklahoma Supreme Court (not sure why it never went to the court of appeals?). The folks who sued ameriquest still don't have their money. They may walk away empty handed, and potentially with a stack of court fees to pay. And $1.4 million of whatever they get looks like it's going straight to the courts or attorneys. And since it is on appeal, the $$ clock is still ticking (although they may be able to recover costs and atty fees for their appeal, too).

FYI, Oklahoma Supreme Court Case # 103201 is the appealed case #. Currently, both parties have filed their briefs, so I guess their next step is the in-court arguments.

To say that the plaintiff recovered "$5-6 million" is to mischaracterize the true nature of what happened in this case. They have zero right now. Going on 4+ years since they were presumably cheated out of their money (according to the district court's findings).
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsprik

Others have pursued and all have won in U.S. District Court $5 mil to $6 mil range for the exact same charges as I will bring.
As Justin pointed out, this statement is not correct. Also, the case was in Oklahoma state court, not U.S. District Court. A lot of incorrect facts being thrown at us here.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

dsprik - your situation does sound like you were a little naive... but that is not an excuse for the shark that bit you. While you apparently were not able to size up the situation, you can bet the lender did.

I would sue. However, I would not pay the lawyer anything upfront. Let them for a percent. The only thing that might be worse than what has already happened is t be saddled with a huge legal bill if you lose your case.

An by the way... you might well get punitive damages. Hope you get a sympathetic jury.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

we have no help or comment on many of the things in your OP, but as fulltime RVers for a number of years, I can tell you that the amount of income you were discussing is ample to maintain a fulltime RV lifestyle. While we've know folks who were living a pretty good RVing life on less than $1,000 per month and others who had a hard time making ends meet on $5,000 per month, most fulltime RVers average about $1,500-$2,500 per month.

There are also many opportunities for volunteering and/or paid short term employment that lowers your living cost considerably. For an example, we just spent the last month volunteering at a National Wildlife Refuge here in AZ down along the Mexican border. Worked several days a week helping out in the visitor's center, doing maintenance on their solar photovolaic arrays in several remote locations (an area of expertise for us), and in return received a full hookup site in a beautiful place, use of free washer and dryer in a community trailer they maintain for volunteers and researchers, and propane.

Had a lot of fun, and mostly due to the isolated nature of the area, spent less than $100 last month, and that was for some groceries at the little grocery store thirty miles away and some tacos at the mobile taco wagon near the store.........

Lots of opportunities to live inexpensively as nomads, and to do it in interesting places.

LooseChickens
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I still get all those stoopid 1% mortgage papers in the mail. They also have some fool on the radio that the Dj says is his "friend". Slime ! Not sure why it continues.

You can look at what most of the guys here invest in if you read through the posts. Most are conservative asset allocators. Its sounds like a great fit for what your going through.
I believe that aaii.com has some good basic information that doesnt require subscribing.
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote