Have timeshares gotten any better?

Why would anyone buy into a timeshare now when there are things like vrbo and airbnb? I get it years ago when it was much more difficult to rent condos and houses.

I agree to some extent because there are so many bad timeshares and uniformed consumers (like we were).

We've had our timeshare for almost 18 years it was the worst decision we could have ever made (or so I thought), we've had 109 great vacations so that's about 550 nights and we've spent about $100 per month on maintenance dues. If we were to buy again we could buy the timeshare for about $5000 (resale). We have about 60 resorts to choose from, we know what to expect and were are rarely surprised and that's a good thing.

Timeshares aren't for everyone and it's taken a while to figure things out but it's been a great decision for us. We recently stayed at a Ritz Carlton ($500 per night) the property was great but the room left a lot to be desired our boys were very disappointed with the accommodations as were we.

Why would anyone buy into a timeshare now when there are things like vrbo and airbnb? I get it years ago when it was much more difficult to rent condos and houses.

If you know how to use the timeshare system correctly, and they are in locations you like to visit, they can be cheaper than vrbo/airbnb, and you know exactly what you're getting, no surprises or hassles dealing with strangers. During any given year I can stay at nice 1BR units at the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale and Westin Desert Willow in Palm Desert for ~$60/night. Stayed in a nice 2BR unit at the Marriott Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert last month for ~$40/night. There are certainly timeshare nightmares out there, just have to educate yourself first.

Back
Top Bottom