Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2022, 04:16 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Deerfield Retirement Community in Asheville NC is very good. My FIL is there, and has been for over 10 years. He is still in a cottage. From a cottage you can move to an apartment, then Assisted Living, and then Skilled Nursing. My MIL progressed through those when she got dementia and they are a good facility in general. You can ge ton the waiting list for about $1000.
KarenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2022, 06:23 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenF View Post
Deerfield Retirement Community in Asheville NC is very good. My FIL is there, and has been for over 10 years. He is still in a cottage. From a cottage you can move to an apartment, then Assisted Living, and then Skilled Nursing. My MIL progressed through those when she got dementia and they are a good facility in general. You can ge ton the waiting list for about $1000.
I'm in Charlotte NC and been on the waitlist for the last 2.5 years at this place:
https://thecypressofcharlotte.com/. Likewise, it has cottages, apartments, and skilled nursing care. It's also pricey. You can also get home care for assisted living in the cottages and apartments. Unlike other CCRCs, it's an equity model for members/residents -- you own your residential cottage or apartment but you're also on the hook for monthly membership/maintenance fees. And if you migrate over to skilled nursing care in the health center wing of the campus, the monthly maintenance is eliminated but you pay for care on a per-diem, discounted rate, which would dovetail nicely with LTCi we have.

We're 70 and 68, our waitlist status expires after 4 years and then we'd have to renew it for another 4 years with another waitlist payment of $1000. Prior to Covid, our waitlist status entitled us to dine for lunch once a month at this CCRC (and you could also bring 2 guests with you). Since Covid, this feature of the waitlist has been suspended -- we don't expect to have any free lunches for a while there.

Since we moved to Charlotte in 2014, the number of new assisted living facilities and CCRCs has increased significantly and established CCRCs have expanded their facilities, especially adding greater skilled nursing care space and beds. I think this expansion of skilled nursing care on established CCRC campuses reflects the aging population of given campuses and better managed health care that keeps us living much longer than in the past.

If I were looking for a newer CCRC, I'd seriously consider this one in my area:https://generationsatshalompark.com/. New facilities do have distinct advantages, as the class of new residents are likely to be much younger on average than at established CCRC and, of course, there's something to be said about "new."
Old 01-11-2022, 06:59 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
We came across one for my MIL about 6 years ago. She was still mobile so she moved into a single family home kicking and screaming. Her old house had a pool, giant yard and was old and always needing repairs. We convinced her this would be much better.

It is. No more maintenance. Anything goes wrong they fix it quick. She can cook if she likes but before COVID she was going to the dining room every night to meet new people. Then COVID hit. But the CCRC took good care of her and delivered meals every day for her. They provide transportation if needed. They have motion sensors in the house and emergency pull thingies.

So far so good.

Now she is in need of more care and looking at moving into assisted living at some point. Well, her CCRC assisted living is full. She has to go to a sister facility which is not near as nice. Huh? $600k buy in, $10,000 / mo for assisted living and she has to go to a different, crappy CCRC? We are feeling ripped off at this point. And she is staying in her house and using in home care to live. She has COPD and still smokes and is alcoholic, so this is not going to end well. She wants to hold out in the house until she dies. Nice thought, but she doesn't control that.

Anyway, ask about that as you are looking. What happens if you move in to an apartment and five years later need assisted living and their place is full.
I had a similar nightmare with my parents. They moved to one. Lived independently, in nice apartment..my mom died soon after moving in. Dad did ok on his own..but a year later he had more and more health issues. Independent living meant I needed to be there all the time. When I tried to get him into assisted care, they were full. So I had to look elsewhere .he died after more scary health issues. But what a nightmare, to not be able to moved to the assisted living, in the same complex!
2retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Shell Point
Old 01-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #64
Confused about dryer sheets

Shell Point

Shell Point - Ft Myers, FL

700 acres on the gulf. 6 neighborhoods, 2500 residents.

Just opened a 200,000 sq ft medical center on-site today.

Earlier this year, the Tribby Art Center opened with a 400 seat performing arts theatre.

www.shellpoint.org
craigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:12 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

We have been researching also. Some of the contract terms are appalling. Some places seem reasonably fair. I am leaning toward the non-buy in full service places after reading the contracts but there were a few I thought seemed to be structured favorably. My top CCRC choice for us was:
https://www.homesteadvillage.org/about-us

I liked their 'Home Care' program where you can hire help through them to stay in your own home.
https://www.homesteadvillage.org/home-care/
If you are in an apt. you can convert to assisted living and stay in the same apartment, no moving. I like this also.

They also had alot of gluten free menu items printed on the menu. Very important for those of us with special diets.

Many places I looked at required you to move to the next level of residence to get additional help. This means the facility gets another buy-in, and often they don't have to give you your refund yet, if you bought in at a refundable level. I didn't like the motivation this gave them. If they had a budget shortfall, pick a few people to move to a higher level whether they needed it or not, and get a cash infusion.

One place in Washington State said they wouldn't allow you to receive benevolent care if you ran out of money and had hired in-home help. What?!?

Several places charged you excessive fees whenever you moved residences. So $10K to go from your cottage to apt. Another $10K to go to assisted living. Another $10K to go to memory care. Another $10K to go to skilled nursing. This was on top of a hefty entrance fee. Any place pulling this stunt was taken off my list. For two people progressing through the facility this would really add up.

The one thing that became clear after reading a number of contracts and disclosure statements was that there was no commonality. Even when comparing type A to type A.

For any place you are seriously considering get a copy of their disclosure statement, contract and residential handbook. Read every word of them. Some places seemed to have terms that advocated for the residents. Other's had terms that felt like every single term was in favor of the facility and nothing was in the resident's favor.
Sun456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:13 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun456 View Post
The one thing that became clear after reading a number of contracts and disclosure statements was that there was no commonality. Even when comparing type A to type A.

For any place you are seriously considering get a copy of their disclosure statement, contract and residential handbook. Read every word of them. Some places seemed to have terms that advocated for the residents.
+1000
Furthermore, if your natural instincts are not to read "fine print" find someone to do it for you. It will save you from unpleasant surprises. Also, as part of your selection process be sure to visit with existing residents to learn what they learned and resources they used. We learned from residents that several had attorneys review final docs & help them understand the language. Important a prospective resident appreciate your contracts are written by attorneys for the property's protection NOT your wellbeing!
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:38 PM   #67

We have not heard from the OP in a while. I realize you don't have geographical restrictions, @ImaCheesehead. However, since you are a cheesehead, have you taken a look at St. John's on the Lake? https://www.saintjohnsmilw.org

(This is our aspirational plan.)
Old 01-12-2022, 04:17 AM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
CCRC is really our only option as we have no children and siblings are too close to us in age.

We'll keep our eyes open. In our early to mid 60s now.
Audrey--don't wait too long to get on the waiting list. Where I am the nice CCRCs have wait lists of 10 years.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:31 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

After reading some of this thread I come away with 2 ideas:

1) Keep up our healthy living style i.e. good quality foods, moderation, and exercise
2) Stay invested in a good helping of stocks because we might need a bundle to outbid the other oldies who need CCRC's

That last one refers to people who excessively reduce their risks (too much bonds and cash) thinking they don't need all that much because the house is paid for and they don't spend a whole lot.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
I live in a good to great CCRC
Old 01-12-2022, 07:54 PM   #70

I live in a good to great CCRC

You do your kids a favor when you move into a CCRC. My wife's Mother was here for five years 1989 to 1995 with good experience in Assisted Living and in an Alzheimer unit. DW became very aware of the care demands she was relieved of.
We moved into a new 1400 square foot apartment 5 years ago at age 76. The amount to buy in was expensive I thought. Compared to other areas it is almost reasonable. The monthly fee has increased by an average of 3 to 4 per cent each year. We have 2 walk-in closets to accommodate 2 bedrooms as well as extra storage. Other amenities are a small kitchen and 10 ft ceilings. we also have parking in an enclosed garage.

We have a Clubhouse within 100 feet of our apartment building. It contains !. a full service restaurant 2. a cafe for more casual dining. 3. My favorite is a pub with casual dining 4. an Aquatic Center 5. a Fitness Center with an Aerobics Room.

The major selling point was locking in my medical costs from the start. If the wife needs assisted living or nursing home care (or if it is for me) My monthly will be the same. We do have a brand new assisted living and nursing facility.
rb460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:39 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Nice places which require no buy-ins and have on campus transitions from independent to assisted to full nursing care are called CCRC's. The financial arrangements (contracts) are a separate issue.

You might want to check your understanding of the financial models. You've made some statements (perhaps I'm misunderstanding) that indicate you may have some misunderstanding of terminology, etc.

I was also in the Eldercare industry and your comment is incorrect, at least in California. There are rental CCRC’s that don’t require an entrance fee, but there are also rental communities that offer a progression of care but are NOT CCRC’s.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:01 AM   #72

There is another model in CA called RCFE’s - Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly. These are different than CCRC’s in that they don’t have entrance fees and may not offer the full continuum of care. However some RCFE’s do have all levels of care but just don’t charge entrance fees.

http://caassistedliving.org/about-as...in-california/
Old 01-13-2022, 06:49 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
CCRC is really our only option as we have no children and siblings are too close to us in age.

We'll keep our eyes open. In our early to mid 60s now.

Similar situation: no children, no close family in North America, and close friends are as old or older than I. A CCRC is in my future.

My parents were in an upscale CCRC in Texas for a while, and I learned a few things to be aware of when I review future CCRCs:

1. Don't wait too long. In their mid 80s, my parents couldn't qualify medically for their first choice CCRC where their friends and neighbors lived. (Dad = mobility/arthritis, Mom=Dementia)

2. The second choice CCRC could decide when the resident would move from one level to the next. My father, with severe arthritis, eventually and grudgingly moved from the nice 2BR apartment to 1 BR in Assisted Living. They then decided he needed too much mobility assistance (getting up/dressing, bathing, and occasionally help with his walker) and that he would thus be moved to Skilled Nursing: his life would shrink to a hospital room. I got him out of there, brought him back to his house, and took care of him there with hired help. It took about a year to get back the 95% of his buy-in.

3. The CCRC must have a "responsible party" to call for almost any medical incident, including falling without injury and needing assistance to get up. (We had that a lot with my arthritic father). If the resident is put in an ambulance for any reason (we had this with my mother), a packet of paperwork is strapped to the stretcher and the CCRC waves goodbye: the resident wasn't their responsiblity at that point, and the responsible party was called. (Not much good when I was a on trip 1000 miles away). In short, the CCRC will not serve "in loco parentis."

So I'm not sure what I will do about a "responsible party". That's part of my thinking about putting together a "solo geezer' team of doctors, estate/eldercare lawyer, accountant, emergency person-on-call ....

In my mid-60s, so I better start looking and perhaps get on a waiting list. Or two. Or three. I don't want to move into a CCRC until my 80s, though.
BarbWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:56 AM   #74
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb460 View Post
You do your kids a favor when you move into a CCRC. My wife's Mother was here for five years 1989 to 1995 with good experience in Assisted Living and in an Alzheimer unit. DW became very aware of the care demands she was relieved of.
We moved into a new 1400 square foot apartment 5 years ago at age 76. The amount to buy in was expensive I thought. Compared to other areas it is almost reasonable. The monthly fee has increased by an average of 3 to 4 per cent each year. We have 2 walk-in closets to accommodate 2 bedrooms as well as extra storage. Other amenities are a small kitchen and 10 ft ceilings. we also have parking in an enclosed garage.

We have a Clubhouse within 100 feet of our apartment building. It contains !. a full service restaurant 2. a cafe for more casual dining. 3. My favorite is a pub with casual dining 4. an Aquatic Center 5. a Fitness Center with an Aerobics Room.

The major selling point was locking in my medical costs from the start. If the wife needs assisted living or nursing home care (or if it is for me) My monthly will be the same. We do have a brand new assisted living and nursing facility.

Could you say the name/location of where you live? I may have missed it if you posted it previously.
bzribee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:27 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbWire View Post
3. The CCRC must have a "responsible party" to call for almost any medical incident, including falling without injury and needing assistance to get up. (We had that a lot with my arthritic father). If the resident is put in an ambulance for any reason (we had this with my mother), a packet of paperwork is strapped to the stretcher and the CCRC waves goodbye: the resident wasn't their responsiblity at that point, and the responsible party was called. (Not much good when I was a on trip 1000 miles away). In short, the CCRC will not serve "in loco parentis."

Too many senior living places ship people out in ambulances too fast. I think you hit on the reason why: passing responsibility.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzribee View Post
Could you say the name/location of where you live? I may have missed it if you posted it previously.
Matthews Glen is a CCRC in Matthews NC which borders Charlotte NC in Mecklenburg County..

Good luck in your research!
rb460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:17 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Too many senior living places ship people out in ambulances too fast. I think you hit on the reason why: passing responsibility.
Yeah, I can't comment on the reasons, but we live between a fire station/ambulance station and a very nice assisted living facility. I think we average about 3 runs a day (both a fire truck AND ambulance always roll together - sirens blaring even at night!) Can't say they are all for the facility, but that's my guess. We've visited the facility a couple of times and it's very nice but it's not a CCRC. I'm guessing you are right. When in doubt, ship them out! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:17 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

The CCRCs can't "ship them out" in our area now--no room in the hospitals. At my mother's CCRC independent living a resident was having stroke like symptoms and the ambulance was called and took her to the local hospital. The ambulance brought her back in a few hours and said there was not a place for her in the local hospital-- hospital was full with Covid patients. Her family was called and they took her to a hospital in another town--sure enough she had a stroke and now is in the nursing home.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:55 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
The CCRCs can't "ship them out" in our area now--no room in the hospitals. At my mother's CCRC independent living a resident was having stroke like symptoms and the ambulance was called and took her to the local hospital. The ambulance brought her back in a few hours and said there was not a place for her in the local hospital-- hospital was full with Covid patients. Her family was called and they took her to a hospital in another town--sure enough she had a stroke and now is in the nursing home.

I thought the idea of CCRC's was to have a place to remain at until death.

If they can just ship me out to some crappy nursing home, I don't see a reason to pay $500K downpayment and $5K/month for an apartment. I can just stay at home and get meals on wheels, a house cleaner, etc.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:31 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I thought the idea of CCRC's was to have a place to remain at until death.

If they can just ship me out to some crappy nursing home, I don't see a reason to pay $500K downpayment and $5K/month for an apartment. I can just stay at home and get meals on wheels, a house cleaner, etc.

CCRC’s are licensed to provide long-term care, not critical care. They have to “ship out” people who may be having a medical trauma they’re unable to treat in-house. Normally a hospital would accept these patients, but now apparently some hospitals don’t have room. The hospital who accepted the patient should discharge her to the same place she came from if it’s a CCRC. If it was an assisted living facility without an affiliated nursing home (ie not a CCRC), the AL facility probably can’t meet her needs in her current condition.