Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2022, 02:22 PM   #101

If you haven't already seen it, there is a pretty good thread in the FAQs forum with some excellent resources:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...aqs-86124.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2022, 11:44 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I keep missing the difference. It seems like a CCRC offering a Type D (no entrance fee and pay as you go) contract and a RCFE having all levels of care would be the same thing. Perhaps there is some legal or licensing difference in California?

There are definitely legal and licensing differences. The biggest difference is that a CCRC must offer skilled nursing care. An RCFE can offer skilled, but doesn’t have to. RCFE staffing regulations are looser because it isn’t a “nursing” environment unless they have a SNF.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:47 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Has anyone hired a CPA or someone else who specializes in this stuff to do a financial evaluation of the company before signing up?

If you’re looking at non-profit CCRC’s, they typically have publicly held debt so their credit must be rated by one or more of the big rating agencies. That, plus their audit report, can give you a good sense of their fiscal viability. Also reviewing their ratings with CMS can give you some insight into quality of care, at least for their SNF.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:59 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I guess if you really want to "worry" about what might happen once you buy in or are accepted into a CCRC OR actually move in, you could worry about whether they are sold to some conglomerate or even go bankrupt. When we looked on the mainland, we asked that question and got a lot of hand waving and half-hearted reassurances. But, when I pressed, it was only shrugged shoulders. YMMV
Probably the nicest facility here locally for decades was what everyone referred to as "The Jewish Home" which was a large private residence out in the country converted to an assisted living and nursing care facility.

Despite a large endowment a developer eventually came along & offered beaucoup bucks for the property so the board sold to them and kicked the remaining dozen or so residents to various stand-alone nursing homes, none of which (from subsequent news stories) could even be bothered to keep kosher.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
CCRC recommendation
Old 01-24-2022, 07:43 AM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

CCRC recommendation

My mom & dad bought an apartment at Walnut Village in Anaheim Ca. My mom has lived there happily for 12 years. She has extensively traveled the world and considers her home to be a 5 Star land based cruise ship. It’s very social (pre-covid) and takes very good care of the residents. Particularly during covid. Mom has experienced long periods of lock down but there have been no deaths attributed to covid. Includes independent living and memory care. My siblings and I feel very fortunate to have mom in such a setting surrounded by her friends sharing meals, going on trips or playing cards. It’s a good option if you have the resources.
davidfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:51 AM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
There are definitely legal and licensing differences. The biggest difference is that a CCRC must offer skilled nursing care. An RCFE can offer skilled, but doesn’t have to. RCFE staffing regulations are looser because it isn’t a “nursing” environment unless they have a SNF.

Does that make a Type D contract CCRC the same as a RCFE with a SNF? Which would you recommend?
Old 02-05-2022, 09:13 AM   #107

Have you come across a great CCRC?

Building a CCRC on a college campus. Interesting article.

https://seniorhousingnews.com/2022/0...ng-in-arizona/

“Mirabella ASU is an integrated part of the ASU campus, and the community now has both professors and students living in the building. SHN Design Awards judges praised the project for its connections among residents, students, and faculty.

“This project invites the students and residents to engage and is truly inspiring,” said John Cronin, principal at AG Architecture and a judge on this year’s awards program.”

https://seniorhousingnews.com/2018/0...te-university/

“Spacious layouts and luxurious amenities aren’t the community’s only selling points, however. Mirabella at ASU also comes with a host of university-specific perks geared toward seniors and made possible through a proposed partnership with Arizona State University.

For instance, each resident of Mirabella at ASU will get a student ID card, which will let them sit in on ASU classes, attend university lectures and browse the university’s library system. The community will also have a university event space, an art gallery and regular performances from ASU School of Music students in the dining venues.”
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:24 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Interesting bmcgonig. The article peaked my interest for myself if I am the second to dies. One of the links mentions a development in the DC area that I will evaluate.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:44 AM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Building a CCRC on a college campus. Interesting article.

https://seniorhousingnews.com/2022/0...ng-in-arizona/

“Mirabella ASU is an integrated part of the ASU campus, and the community now has both professors and students living in the building. SHN Design Awards judges praised the project for its connections among residents, students, and faculty.

“This project invites the students and residents to engage and is truly inspiring,” said John Cronin, principal at AG Architecture and a judge on this year’s awards program.”

https://seniorhousingnews.com/2018/0...te-university/

“Spacious layouts and luxurious amenities aren’t the community’s only selling points, however. Mirabella at ASU also comes with a host of university-specific perks geared toward seniors and made possible through a proposed partnership with Arizona State University.

For instance, each resident of Mirabella at ASU will get a student ID card, which will let them sit in on ASU classes, attend university lectures and browse the university’s library system. The community will also have a university event space, an art gallery and regular performances from ASU School of Music students in the dining venues.”

There's trouble in paradise.

A senior living high-rise battles EDM club Shady Park over noise near ASU's Tempe campus

Older retired people moving into a college neighborhood and then complaining about the noise.

Edit -- update: This retirement community's fight with a Tempe EDM club could end soon. Here's what to know
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:06 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post

A senior living high-rise battles EDM club Shady Park over noise near ASU's Tempe campus

Older retired people moving into a college neighborhood and then complaining about the noise.

Edit -- update: This retirement community's fight with a Tempe EDM club could end soon. Here's what to know

This is funny:

"Mirabella showed up, built an ill-advised senior center across the street from a nightlife venue in the middle of an entertainment district and started shouting at everybody to get off their lawn," Leibowitz says.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:03 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

I bet they were just mad when the young students wouldn't invite them to the parties.

Quote:
This is funny:

"Mirabella showed up, built an ill-advised senior center across the street from a nightlife venue in the middle of an entertainment district and started shouting at everybody to get off their lawn," Leibowitz says.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:45 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

I started researching Life Care Communities when I first read this topic. Read a few really great books, toured a few, and just put a fully refundable deposit on our favorite community, in order to join the wait list. Depending on your preferences, one could be on the wait list for a few years. The facility gave us an estimate of two years. Feel good about getting it done, just wish we had done it a few years ago. Probably the most useful info I have gotten from this forum. So thanks to everyone that posted.
Time2re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:02 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post

I hope I die before I get that old.

We want to live on campus next to young people. But they have to turn that awful music down.

Amazing.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:26 PM   #114

This smacks of the idiot that moved into our +55 MHP 1/2 mile from a local airport, and demanded they shut the airport down.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:48 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, what's with all this noise? Don't you know I'm trying to sleep?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:12 PM   #116

Our company has done the plumbing on this one in Tacoma, and everyone was impressed with it in general. I have been out recently to do service work on one of the duplexes, and the residents we interacted with gave positive reviews of their experiences.
https://www.franketobeyjones.com/
I'm interested in it for our later years.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:11 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
Our company has done the plumbing on this one in Tacoma, and everyone was impressed with it in general. I have been out recently to do service work on one of the duplexes, and the residents we interacted with gave positive reviews of their experiences.
https://www.franketobeyjones.com/
I'm interested in it for our later years.
Just FYI, Tobey Jones is NOT a Type A CCRC. The only Type A in So Puget Sound is in Gig Harbor, Heron Keys. We currently live there and moved in 3 years ago. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:22 PM   #118

thanks Steve. We are a fair ways away from that and building our next home in Sequim next year, but I had not looked into these before working out there.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:48 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, what's with all this noise? Don't you know I'm trying to sleep?
Get off my lawn!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:54 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
This smacks of the idiot that moved into our +55 MHP 1/2 mile from a local airport, and demanded they shut the airport down.
Same thing happens at Naval airfields. They were built in the middle of nowhere for a reason. Naval aviators practice landing a LOT. And we are low and noisy. When a carrier is getting ready to deploy, there will be 6+ aircraft in the pattern from 0800 to 0200.

Then people decide to move in under the pattern and complain about all the noise. Idiots.

I lived under the pattern at Cecil Field and always enjoyed the sound of freedom.