Having too much time after RE? Is that even possible?

I say people who can't keep entertained during retirement lack creativity.

Almost 1 year into retirement, I find myself as busy as I was when working. I'm doing a lot more of the fun stuff I did while working, and developed a few new hobbies/interests like writing, blogging, photoshop, and taking online college courses.

Just this weekend while at the lake I noticed they offer sailing classes. That's something I've always been interested in, so maybe I'll sign up for classes. I'm still learning that today is the first today of the rest of my life, and there's no reason to wait to do things that interest me.

I am one of those people. It doesn't take much to keep me content. ... I have, in many ways, returned to being the content and fairly reclusive personality I was as a teenager.

Really interesting. I've been thinking a lot about this. Like 91% of those here (per previous poll), I'm an introvert. As introverts in corporate environments must, I developed the pseudo-extrovert qualities needed to succeed over a multi-decade career. I don't doubt that much of the inner drive fueling my early retirement quest is a yearning to return to my authentic self. But what will that look like decades later? Will it be like my teenager/early-20s years? I look forward to finding out.

Introverts Unite!
.....one at a time

:LOL:

My wife is worried about this so I am doing the Semi-retired thing, working 3 days a week with benefits. I start next week on the new schedule. Today I asked my SO - lets go to the beach on Monday, or Tuesday next week - she looked at me strange then realized - "I better tell my boss that I won't be around Sat thru Tuesday anymore"

Its hard to believe, i am so grateful that I can do this! I feel guilty - but that shall pass.

I started a house work todo list - it was lost. I can't do that stuff as I am haveing too much fun doing things like, Fishing/Kayaking/Hiking/Camping/Tennis/Reading/Cooking and Eating good food, etc.....

;-)

I went home on my lunch break, and probably had what's going to end up being the most productive part of my day. Did a quick workout...some bench pressing and biceps. Fed and played some with the semi-feral cat that's been hanging around...trying to get it friendly enough to take to the SPCA, and have it be adoptable. Pulled up a few weeds. Watered some plants and then kicked back with a glass of water, while I topped off the fish pond. Would rather have kicked back with a beer, but since I had to go back to work, maybe not a good idea!

It felt a helluva lot more productive, and more meaningful, than sitting around the office slinging PowerPoint charts around! I think as long as I can afford it, I'd be happy doing piddly stuff like what I did on my lunch break. As Apollo once said on Battlestar Galactica, "What's a warrior to do after he's lost the big battle? Start winning some little ones!"

Last edited:
I don't know if I will be bored with nothing to do when I retire. Having a job gives me structure, and I think I will need to come up with some kind of structure when I retire. I really hope I won't be, but if I'm too bored, I guess I can always find a j*b or something

It felt a helluva lot more productive, and more meaningful, than sitting around the office slinging PowerPoint charts around! I think as long as I can afford it, I'd be happy doing piddly stuff like what I did on my lunch break. As Apollo once said on Battlestar Galactica, "What's a warrior to do after he's lost the big battle? Start winning some little ones!"

"God, I miss slinging Powerpoint charts!" Said no early retiree. Ever. :D

We are halfway through year 3, and we got bored in the winter. We're in the Boston area. We do some outdoor activities in winter, but DH has bad asthma, so only if the temp is above 35 or so. We are pretty much through the "to-do" list. DH was so bored he applied for a contract job, luckily he did not get it.

Our plan is to be snow birds once the dog passes on and that will help. We travel about 10-12 weeks during the year, would like to make it 6 months.

We love to be outdoors, but the asthma is really an issue. It keeps him inside at least 1-2 days a week all year long. Humidity, rain, cold are all triggers.

Even when we are bored we look at each other and repeat "better to be bored than working".

I say people who can't keep entertained during retirement lack creativity.

Almost 1 year into retirement, I find myself as busy as I was when working. I'm doing a lot more of the fun stuff I did while working, and developed a few new hobbies/interests like writing, blogging, photoshop, and taking online college courses.

Just this weekend while at the lake I noticed they offer sailing classes. That's something I've always been interested in, so maybe I'll sign up for classes. I'm still learning that today is the first today of the rest of my life, and there's no reason to wait to do things that interest me.
I just took sailing classes this summer, sunfish and keelboat and fell in love! I've bought an old sunfish, which I am restoring, and having way too much fun!

I just took sailing classes this summer, sunfish and keelboat and fell in love! I've bought an old sunfish, which I am restoring, and having way too much fun!

Sounds awesome! Our parks and recreation department teaches on sunfish boats.

I knew that would be the case after awhile so always intended to work p.t. for myself in my field. Then luckily I was offered a job teaching one class a semester at the university. It is just the right balance between work & leisure. Everyone is different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom