Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2021, 11:58 PM   #61
gone traveling

How about hiking the Pacific Crest, Continental Divide, or Appalachian trails? Or all three? Could do them like the thru-hikers, who start in spring at Mexican border, then hike north to Canada by fall. Or could do them a section at a time. There are whole books by hikers who have done one or the other.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2021, 12:00 AM   #62
gone traveling

Could also consider hiking the length of the Grand Canyon "inside the rim". Follow in the footsteps of Colin Fletcher who was the first to do the trek. Read about his trek in his book "The Man Who Walked Through Time". Very interesting read of his adventure and of the geology and environment of the grand Canyon.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:38 AM   #63
Dryer sheet aficionado

I go to Costa Rica once a year with a group of 6-10 friends. We stay in Los Suenos, a spectacular resort on the Pacific coast. You can rent a condo or house, or you can book a room at the Marriott that's on the property. We've done everything from hiking on an active volcano, to climbing up a 76 ft waterfall. There are easy things to do, canopy tour, sailfishng, zip lining, etc. This is the first year we did not go, breaking our streak of 12 years. Last year we brought our DW and raced polaris side by sides through the jungle, did paddle boarding, surfing, whitewater rafting, a coffee plantation tour and a day of rooster fishing.
Jerseytunahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #64
Dryer sheet aficionado

I love this thread. I need to get on it!! I did do Ragbrai twice...it was amazing. I was so inspired by the older riders! My last one was when I was 45. I have lots of things to research now! Thanks!
FFC1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:30 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFC1964 View Post
I love this thread. I need to get on it!! I did do Ragbrai twice...it was amazing. I was so inspired by the older riders! My last one was when I was 45. I have lots of things to research now! Thanks!

I did ragbrai once. When I was around 45. Iíd like to do it again - this time on my ebike. But Iíd have to find a place to charge my battery at the end of each day.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
How about hiking the Pacific Crest, Continental Divide, or Appalachian trails? Or all three? Could do them like the thru-hikers, who start in spring at Mexican border, then hike north to Canada by fall. Or could do them a section at a time. There are whole books by hikers who have done one or the other.

Would love to do PcT. Iíve done bits of AT on day hikes. Including this bit with DW who isnít much of a hiker. https://youtu.be/G5MsTB-kdVs
Old 02-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Would love to do PcT. Iíve done bits of AT on day hikes. Including this bit with DW who isnít much of a hiker. https://youtu.be/G5MsTB-kdVs
Last summer, I hiked the entire width of the Appalachia Trail.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:05 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Last summer, I hiked the entire width of the Appalachia Trail.

Excellent! Reminds me of when I ran from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Ocean and back.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #69
gone traveling

Quote:
I myself have done all the PCT from the Columbia River south to Crater Lake in Oregon. Did it in bits and pieces. It only took me 27 years to do that section!

Started when a co-worker and I had lunch chats with another worker who was an avid hiker and who had worked for Forest Service in his college days. We cooked up our first group hike on what happened to be a section of the PCT an hours drive from town. The three of us did other hikes together over a few years. Finally realized we had covered several stretches of the PCT. Then got the brilliant idea to consciously set a goal to hike all the PCT in Oregon.

Over the next couple of decades, we along with other assorted office hikers, did more and more sections. Unfortunately, my first friend co-worker passed away at age 61. The other worker (who had been with Forest Service in college days) developed a severe ankle problem (actually, extreme wear of a congenital ankle deformity) and could hardly walk anymore, so he dropped out. But I kept going on my own to get in a few last stretches of PCT that would make the Columbia River to Crater Lake a "continuous" segment I had hiked. At 27 years I walked into Crater Lake Lodge triumphant at my achievement of being able to say---I hike the PCT from Columbia to Crater Lake--and be truthful in the telling!

So, I do recommend hiking the PCT---even if it takes you a few decades!

It is a very beautiful trail.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I myself have done all the PCT from the Columbia River south to Crater Lake in Oregon. Did it in bits and pieces. It only took me 27 years to do that section!

Started when a co-worker and I had lunch chats with another worker who was an avid hiker and who had worked for Forest Service in his college days. We cooked up our first group hike on what happened to be a section of the PCT an hours drive from town. The three of us did other hikes together over a few years. Finally realized we had covered several stretches of the PCT. Then got the brilliant idea to consciously set a goal to hike all the PCT in Oregon.

Over the next couple of decades, we along with other assorted office hikers, did more and more sections. Unfortunately, my first friend co-worker passed away at age 61. The other worker (who had been with Forest Service in college days) developed a severe ankle problem (actually, extreme wear of a congenital ankle deformity) and could hardly walk anymore, so he dropped out. But I kept going on my own to get in a few last stretches of PCT that would make the Columbia River to Crater Lake a "continuous" segment I had hiked. At 27 years I walked into Crater Lake Lodge triumphant at my achievement of being able to say---I hike the PCT from Columbia to Crater Lake--and be truthful in the telling!

Congrats! I'd like to do a section like you did. Especially that section. But I don't think I've got a few decades left to do it.

I may have to do most of my hiking by myself from here on. Hiking friends and DW are developing issues that are limiting their ability to hike long distances.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #71
gone traveling

Quote:
Congrats! I'd like to do a section like you did. Especially that section. But I don't think I've got a few decades left to do it.
There are some very beautiful sections in Oregon that can be accessed via chunks that only require one or two nights on the trail. That makes it much easier to backpack without an overly onerous load on your shoulders. I still vividly remember the section that skirted the feet of the Three Sisters mountain peaks (North, Middle, and South Sister----all near town of "Sisters" Oregon). Section by Mt. Jefferson also dramatic. And around west side of base of Mt. Hood also quite nice. Last section I did to Crater Lake also spent a night "behind" the base of Mt. Thielsen. Lots to choose from in Oregon!

The logistic problem is having to drop off a car at one end then driving back in a second car to other end to start the hike. However, if you have someone willing to drop you off at one end, then drive around as needed to pick you up at the other, that problem goes away, and all you have to do is hike.

As to how many decades any of us have left, we don't know. But we can do what we can do in the time left!!
Old 02-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #72
gone traveling

Another idea I had, but never implemented, was to do "ultralight" hiking, where you don't carry a loaded up backpack. Rather you go "ultralight" and that way you can cover extra long distances in a day---25 miles maybe 30 miles, maybe more if you are extra fit. As compared to going with a loaded backpack and getting in maybe 8 or 10 or 12 miles and being bone tired.

The ultralight method might make it easier as well for someone to drop you off and pick you up at other end on the same day, instead of a day or two or three later.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Well, between the two of us weíve almost hiked the PCT from the Mexico border to Washington. Iíve done from the border to Castella at Castle Crags, which is 1500 miles. I have every intention of finishing the rest, good Lord willing. Iíve been doing long sections and started in 2017. When you live in Texas, it pays to do long sections cause the logistics of getting on/off trail are not easy. Must be really nice for you to live so close.

I look forward to the Oregon and Washington sections. I know they are beautiful, as has been most of California. I was literally 1 day away from heading out last September to continue another long section, when the fires blew up and cancelled my plans. So, between Covid and fires, 2020 was a bust for me on the PCT.

As for ultra-light hiking, thatís the best way to go when hiking long distances of course. My base weight pack is 20-21lbs. Food & water can easily add another 15lbs depending on length to next resupply and length of water carries. This pack weight is so much better than it used to be. But there are hikers that get their base weight down to the 9-10lb mark. It makes me jealous, but I also canít imagine. At my age I need at least the tiniest of creature comforts.

Muir
Old 02-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #74
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Well, between the two of us weíve almost hiked the PCT from the Mexico border to Washington. Iíve done from the border to Castella at Castle Crags, which is 1500 miles. I have every intention of finishing the rest, good Lord willing.
Muir
Wow! More power to you.

Too bad your 2020 plans blew out. I live maybe 20 miles west from Oregon's Santiam Canyon (east of Salem), and last Fall's fires there destroyed that canyon and a string of small towns in it along Hiway 22. It is going to take years to rebuild those little towns and all the homes that were lost. Devastating.

I spent two weeks pretty much confined indoors because of bad air quality (as if Covid weren't enough!) that settled over the entire Willamette Valley from Eugene on up to Portland and north into SW Washington. I have some pics of the first bad day, when at 11am, it looked like night outside because of the smoke cover. (Later, I might try to figure out how to post a pic or two here on ER Forum.)

But as to your hiking, yes you would enjoy Oregon section PCT I am positive.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #75

Yup. Iím sure your photos would be interesting. I know those fires were devastating. At one point, almost the entire PCT was closed from the fires. All the NFís in California, Oregon, and much of Washington were shut down. That had never happened before.

There was a thread on here discussing it at the time. It was called West Coast Fires if you want to look it up.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:41 PM   #76
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
There was a thread on here discussing it at the time. It was called West Coast Fires if you want to look it up.
OK, thanks, I might do that.

Thinking back on the smoke cover in the valley, I was just glad my house is fairly airtight and inside air quality stayed fairly good.

It was a long two weeks waiting for that stagnant air to finally clear, though it was only that first/second day, when the day was as the night! The rest of the time at least you knew when the sun was up!
Old 02-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When it gets a bit warmer, couple of months, I'mma gonna do another Yosemite ride through. Takes all day on the motorcycle and I'm beat when I get home.

But it's like...that was a good ride!
Old 02-01-2021, 08:15 PM   #78
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
When it gets a bit warmer, couple of months, I'mma gonna do another Yosemite ride through. Takes all day on the motorcycle and I'm beat when I get home.

But it's like...that was a good ride!
Sounds like fun!
Old 02-01-2021, 08:17 PM   #79

Fly to Santa FE NM and check out the Jet Warbird Center. You can fly a number of former military Jets like a MiG-15 or a T-33
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:20 PM   #80
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Fly to Santa FE NM and check out the Jet Warbird Center. You can fly a number of former military Jets like a MiG-15 or a T-33
You mean fly them as a pilot? Or do you mean, they give you a ride in one?