Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2021, 12:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target59 View Post
I’m hoping to kayak from Seattle to Skagway Alaska ... 1300 miles following the inside passage. DW is less than enthusiastic about the idea, however.
That's one of the most adventurous trips I've ever heard of. Here's hoping you get to do it!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitchell View Post
I’m 53 and still in good health thank god—and wondering what all you adventurous types would recommend putting on the bucket list in terms of “being physically able” to do it.
My generic vacation template:
(1) identify a part of the world with good hiking (although now that I'm getting old, maybe 'walking' is a better term);
(2) buy a hiking guidebook or two about the region from amazon;
(3) on location, drive a rental car to the trailhead. Do a 3/4 day hike. Stay in a mid-range hotel. Preferably do my own cooking in a kitchenette. Hot showers and soft beds are great! (when younger, backpacking was an option. Not anymore! ).
I've used this template to take some great hikes all over the world. No serious or fatal injuries, either!

Hopefully the guidebook would allow you to select hikes appropriate for your fitness level. Of course, if you hate hiking then most of this thread won't be too useful.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's one of the most adventurous trips I've ever heard of. Here's hoping you get to do it!

Me too. I’ve got it mapped out on Google Earth and have most of the gear and logistics figured out. DW has this irrational fear of camping among the world’s largest brown bear population. I haven’t found a workaround on that one. But she’s increasingly willing to let me go alone, providing I maintain the term insurance.
Target59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:10 PM   #24

Many things I have enjoyed have been listed. A couple missing are long multi-week or month bike tours across USA, Mexico and Europe. But you can pick your spot. The other was our tour through Africa (it followed our Peace Corps service there, so it was easier to understand how to move around on public transport and feel comfortable in a different culture.). We just wanted to see a lot of countries and places following PC service. We took buses, trains, boats (like the locals) stayed in hostels etc. Not as physical as walking the Inca Trail but very exciting and better to do when you are young. I was about OP age at the time. Also S. Africa has the Drakensberg mountains. I only did the one day Chain Ladder hike there but it scared me, meaning it was a real challenge climbing the ladder. There are more if you want to make it a destination. Just being there is beautiful.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:07 AM   #25

Wow, what a question! This is the very reason we retired when we did... After glancing at DW's travel blog, here's a few ideas that don't repeat the many good ones above.

Snorkeling with humpbacks in Tonga (kicking to get in proper position can be strenuous)--best done on a liveaboard diveboat.

Seeing Mountain Gorillas in DRC (and I'm guessing in Rwanda and Uganda as well) requires multi-mile hiking in hilly jungle with fresh machete cut path. Walking safaris in this category as well.

Instead of Inca trail, we went on a higher altitude Salkantay trek. Also ends up at machu pichu, but we thought it would provide more diversity of nature while still giving plenty of Inca exposure.

Whilst in Peru, consider hiking to bottom of Colca Canyon. Also, although not super strenuous, hiking through jungle to see wildlife on a multiday trip into the Manu Biosphere/reserve in the upper Amazon basin is well worth doing while your legs are springy...

Many diving destinations, of course.

I second an earlier comment about Europe and climbing stairs. Surprised us on a short trip in 2018 to the extent that we have moved the area up in our planning.

Many of USA national parks have aspects that are going to be unattainable if not in good physical shape. (Zion's Angels landing is just one)

Galapagos, whether for diving or "just" for snorkeling and land trips. During one of our weeks there, a couple of people with knee problems had to sit out at times--and it was frequently hard work for them to keep up on other outings. For example, kicking to keep proximity to hammerheads or dolphin pods...

You are going to love it!
Old 01-14-2021, 06:37 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Take a 3 month bicycle trip across the USA, coast to coast, camping along the way, sticking to the back roads, not the big tourist destinations. I did that when I was young and it's an amazing way to really see the country.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:17 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Look at a site called "theadventurists". They have numerous "stupid" things to do that will be uncomfortable for you. Doing something like what they offer makes you quite aware of the standard living conditions here. Testing your mettle might not be what you are seeking, but trips like that tend to be most memorable for me.
Wow, really cool, I would LOVE to do one of their Rikshaw Runs :-) Stupid maybe, but that's often part of fun. Have you done one of these?
Leo1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1277 View Post
Wow, really cool, I would LOVE to do one of their Rikshaw Runs :-) Stupid maybe, but that's often part of fun. Have you done one of these?
Yes (Monkey Run Romania). I doubt I'll actually participate, but I've been training for the last many years on and off for the Icarus. Also, I had plans for a second Monkey Run, but the pandemic ruined it. I wanted to do the Rickshaw Run and other "team" adventures, but had a hard time finding a buddy as stupid as I was/am . The my first adventure was solo, but it seems that everyone becomes your buddy, starting from the brain cell challenge party the day before the event starts. For the cancelled adventure, I convinced a buddy to go. We were all paid-up when the pandemic hit. He says he's ready to sign up for that same one (Puru).
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:27 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Ballroom dancing, especially Tango and other latin dances.

Here's some tango scenes from movies:

Easy Virtue

Scent of a Woman

Antonio Banderas
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:17 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes (Monkey Run Romania). I doubt I'll actually participate, but I've been training for the last many years on and off for the Icarus. Also, I had plans for a second Monkey Run, but the pandemic ruined it. I wanted to do the Rickshaw Run and other "team" adventures, but had a hard time finding a buddy as stupid as I was/am . The my first adventure was solo, but it seems that everyone becomes your buddy, starting from the brain cell challenge party the day before the event starts. For the cancelled adventure, I convinced a buddy to go. We were all paid-up when the pandemic hit. He says he's ready to sign up for that same one (Puru).
Wow, that Icarus is way out there! I thought those Rickshaw Runs were pretty extreme already in their fun and stupidity, but that Icarus takes it to a whole new level. I suppose if you have been training for this, it means you must own all the equipment already. I mean, how to operate the Rickshaw you can pick up in a day or two at location, and flipping over and other mishaps is half the fun, and with the monkey run, I suppose the main thing you risk is a seriously bad back from the crazy riding position. But with this powered parasailing, any mishap may turn much more serious, and you really better know what you are doing and put in the time to become proficient. Maybe we need a special thread for all these "way way out there" bucket list items...
Leo1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I have rafted the entire Grand Canyon twice - and it is a wonderful experience. Can be as physical as you want it to be - or not. The hiking is incredible as is the time on the river and crashing the rapids. It is a must do! GCWW is a great rafting company.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoesmith View Post
I have rafted the entire Grand Canyon twice - and it is a wonderful experience. Can be as physical as you want it to be - or not. The hiking is incredible as is the time on the river and crashing the rapids. It is a must do! ....
Agree 100% (although we only did it once, with O.A.R.S.).
Old 01-16-2021, 02:19 PM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

I like to ride motorcycles, so if Canada cooperates this summer, we (wife & dog) plan to ride to Alaska. The Maritimes are also on the ride to list. Maybe down the road a moto trip to Central America and/or rent a bike in Europe.

Like to paddle and fish so a few more trips to the Boundary waters or Quetico are on the list.
GA_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Such amazing ideas here! Keep ‘em coming!
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoesmith View Post
I have rafted the entire Grand Canyon twice - and it is a wonderful experience. Can be as physical as you want it to be - or not. The hiking is incredible as is the time on the river and crashing the rapids.
Good point. I think most people don't really realize that it's not just a matter of going down the river. The guides know incredible places that they will take you hiking to, and that's half the fun of the trip. Ancient cliff dwellings, fossil footprints in the rocks, incredible vistas to photograph, and on and on. That's why we did it twice and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

When I turned 59, I rode a motorcycle from Nuevo Laredo Mexico to Emerson Canada in
23-1/2 hours. When I turned 69, I did a round trip ride from Texas to Alaska And back. When I was 77, I sailed from Houston to Key West and returned without ever dropping an anchor. With COVID, not sure what the next adventure will be but I’m getting itchy.
Coach Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Good point. I think most people don't really realize that it's not just a matter of going down the river. The guides know incredible places that they will take you hiking to, and that's half the fun of the trip. Ancient cliff dwellings, fossil footprints in the rocks, incredible vistas to photograph, and on and on. That's why we did it twice and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Definitely on my list!
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:26 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target59 View Post
Me too. I’ve got it mapped out on Google Earth and have most of the gear and logistics figured out. DW has this irrational fear of camping among the world’s largest brown bear population. I haven’t found a workaround on that one. But she’s increasingly willing to let me go alone, providing I maintain the term insurance.
Bear spray? Or does that just make them mad?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:46 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

following
CSdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:37 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Look at a site called "theadventurists". They have numerous "stupid" things to do that will be uncomfortable for you. Doing something like what they offer makes you quite aware of the standard living conditions here. Testing your mettle might not be what you are seeking, but trips like that tend to be most memorable for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1277 View Post
Sarah from SC and her husband have done a number of these Adventurist trips. I support her spiritually, but that's about about it. They have had some amazing adventures. They did a Mongol Rally (or something like it) in an old school bus that turned into an around the world trip. They did something like the Rickshaw run in Peru (I think). But it was more of a motorcycle with a sofa on the back. That trip has been discontinued due to being too dangerous for a bunch of crazy people. Don I know has done one of the Icarus things. You can probably PM her if you want any more information.

I, on the other hand, am still dreaming of through hiking the AT. I think my time has passed, though. I could get in shape for it, but with my CV issues I think DW would just as soon kill me outright as let me go do that.