Help Me Out - What Can I Do When I Retire?

Thanks for this feedback. Given human nature I think your experiences will be not rare.

Do you mind sharing what precisely the volunteer gigs were? If detail is an issue perhaps some more color? Were they service gigs (i.e. museums) or product (putting together food packs) or something else?

There are undoubtedly wonderful volunteer gigs, make no mistake. But they can be much worse than work, that was my unfortunate experience. From do nothing leadership, that wanted the perks/recognition of leadership, while abusing “staff” and accomplishing nothing themselves. And being a volunteer leader is no picnic either, I did that too. Since your volunteer staff isn’t being paid, they have no fear of being fired so some say and do/don’t do whatever they want. I’d go to a meeting, watch people accept or even volunteer for a task, and then think nothing of coming to the next several meetings to report having done nothing at all. I was part of a volunteer organization for almost 4 years before quitting, after realizing a few people were doing all the work, what was accomplished was due to them alone, and leaders took credit and even hampered progress at times.

Again, I know it doesn’t have to be that way. As always, an organization is only as good as it’s people - but when people aren’t being paid/relying on income to live, some will act very badly. They have to be weeded out, and that’s hard when there aren’t people lining up to volunteer. Another Catch-22…

I retired a year and a half ago at age 65 and after about a year started thinking more seriously about volunteer opportunities. My wife and I want to travel and visit grandchildren which means that time flexibility was a priority. We didn't want to be restricted by a work schedule. We also wanted to do something that would be intellectually challenging. Our third desire was to find an activity which allowed us to help people on an individual basis.

We both ended up becoming Medicare counselors. The federal government has a program that is implemented at the state level called SHIP (State Health Insurance Assistance Programs). The state provides grants to local non-profit agencies that execute the program with volunteers. In our county of 280,000 people we have 12 volunteers. All of our volunteers are retired professionals (military officers, professors, teachers, corporate benefit officers, etc). The primary motivator appears to be a desire to give back to the community.

A Medicare counselor provides free, unbiased information about Medicare to clients. There are outreach events but most of the counseling is one on one. Currently counseling is being conducted via Zoom or on the phone. As the vaccine allows our society to open up we will be able to conduct face to face counseling at libraries, elder centers and other public venues.

The scope of a Medicare volunteer's responsibilities fall into the following general areas:
Provide a detailed explanation of Medicare that informs a client's decision making process.
Enrollment and coverage questions and assistance
Medicare Parts A, B, and D
Supplement and Advantage Plans
Plan comparisons (Medigap, Prescription drug plans, and Advantage plans)
Medicare claims (Interact with Medicare and insurance companies)
Medicare billing issues
Complaints and appeals
Financial assistance programs to lower Medicare costs (explain programs and assist with initiating an application)
Some counselors assist with Medicare fraud issues
Anything Medicare-related

There is a good initial training program for counselors followed by a mentoring phase with a senior counselor. As in most areas, expertise will come with experience and cross talk with fellow counselors.

This is straight volunteer work. The payoff is a "Thank You" from a client.

More information can be found at:

https://acl.gov/programs/connecting-people-services/state-health-insurance-assistance-program-ship

Hi All

So I can retire any day now but will stick it out for a few more years more to pump up post-retirement benefits in terms of health care and pension.

I'll be in my early 50's so want to continue to do meaningful work to keep me sharp and grounded.

So what do people suggest?

I don't want a full time job but 5,10,15 hours a week would be great.

My background is:

a) PhD in Computer Science
b) 5 years experience in Silicon Valley in the 2000's
c) Last 15 years in Academia
d) Live in CA but can/may move
e) Lots of experience giving presentations, managing a small team of students
f) I can teach well but am not a natural.
g) I have hobbies (biking, golf, investing) but nothing that's something I want to do each and every day.
h) My job involved lots of travel so I will travel but not that much.

I know you say you can teach, but not a natural, but have you considered teaching Computer Science part time at a Community College or smaller university? I have several friends who have done that after retiring from their primary career.

I know you say you can teach, but not a natural, but have you considered teaching Computer Science part time at a Community College or smaller university? I have several friends who have done that after retiring from their primary career.

Yeah but nah. Too many universities would take advantage of me to replace someone else who should get paid.

We retired 47 and 50 and moved to a small village in Mexico on the beach and bought 100 acres and built a sustainable, off grid ranch and guest house facility. That kept us busy, milking goats, making cheese and learning how to build with natural materials and grow food. Just one idea....the ranch is for sale now that we are old and tired.:blush:

Hi All

So I can retire any day now but will stick it out for a few more years more to pump up post-retirement benefits in terms of health care and pension.

I'll be in my early 50's so want to continue to do meaningful work to keep me sharp and grounded.

So what do people suggest?

I don't want a full time job but 5,10,15 hours a week would be great.

My background is:

a) PhD in Computer Science
b) 5 years experience in Silicon Valley in the 2000's
c) Last 15 years in Academia
d) Live in CA but can/may move
e) Lots of experience giving presentations, managing a small team of students
f) I can teach well but am not a natural.
g) I have hobbies (biking, golf, investing) but nothing that's something I want to do each and every day.
h) My job involved lots of travel so I will travel but not that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for the Ernie Zelinski book. Another one I found helpful is "Work Less, Live More, the Way to Semi-Retirement" published by Nolo Press. Applies to full RE too.

A few more ideas/comments:

* Start compiling a folder with articles, ideas, organizations that pique your interest to possibly pursue when you're done with your current gig. You may want to explore some in-depth now, if you have time.

* Volunteer teaching/tech support opportunities for underprivileged or otherwise marginalized groups. Coding camps, that type of thing.

* Citizen science.

* Go back to school to study something else, maybe even get another degree. It could be mentally stimulating, provide structure and social interaction.

Lots of good feedback here re: volunteering. Definitely a case of YYMV. I currently volunteer for a local chapter of the "Village" movement, helping older neighbors with various things. https://villagesnw.org/ It's very satisfying emotionally (albeit not necessarily intellectually) and I've met cool people. One 80 year old lady I spoke with today said the best time of her life was after she retired at 65. She opened an art gallery, started another business and really enjoyed life. This weekend when I help her with her iPhone I plan to ask her to tell me some of her stories, for inspiration!

Give it time. Your message left an impression that you are still looking for work. Retirement life is (and should be) different from your work life.

I am sure you were great at what you did for the past 20+ years but your goal in retirement should be finding things you would want to do that make you happy.

What got you into computer field? Do you want to work on creating something that could help people? Open source community may have more info about it.

Do you like knowledge sharing (from your teaching my guess is yes)? How about youtube? Would you like to create some videos teaching people on what you know? Something similar to python for everybody course (
) is helpful for a lot of people if you are into it but do it at your pace.

Thanks for this feedback. Given human nature I think your experiences will be not rare.

Do you mind sharing what precisely the volunteer gigs were? If detail is an issue perhaps some more color? Were they service gigs (i.e. museums) or product (putting together food packs) or something else?

I have two volunteer jobs. One job is a phone interviewer for college scholarships. I usually interview five or six kids over a couple of weeks in March. This is easy to fit into my schedule and I enjoy hearing from the younger generation.

The second job is at a botanical garden. I respond to request for volunteers via email. I can do as little or as much as I want. The slots are competitive so I have to jump on the reply. The work is basically as an usher for events. I enjoy the flexibility, meeting new people, and I enjoy the garden environment.

I might pick up something else that has minimal commitment, once I stop hiding from the pandemic.

Different volunteer gigy

I find different volunteer activities keep me adequately busy. Volunteer income tax preparation appeals to many ex- engineers, AARP TAXAIDE is a program that will train anyone in the fall, for work the following spring. I've been doing that for 21 years.

H&R Block offers decent tax courses too, and most students get an offer to work in one of their offices. It is pretty high intensity piece work... I did that one year before deciding I'd rather work for free vs. under those conditions.

I also find it rewarding to work a couple mornings a week in a local food pantry. Getting out of the house and seeing nice people is the appeal to me.

Same with a clothing charity a local school district operates... nobody works volunteers any harder than they want to work. Again getting out and seeing people.

Do what you enjoy, that adds value, for a population you care about.

As a personal example, tonight is my 41st no-cost eight hour training class for veterans. I schedule the class over two nights (~monthly via Zoom after COVID, with attendees from Naples to Nagasaki). My goal is 1,000 veterans trained by 2023 (started 2013), I am retired military with 3 daughters serving.

I "advertise" via vets organizations & social media and prioritize underemployed or transitioning veterans. My current wait list is >100 Vets and I can teach the class from anywhere (3 classes this year from daughters guest bedrooms). It keeps me sharp and I occasionally get referrals for paid work with clients (0% WR). I really enjoy teaching and sharing (it is a problem solving methodology I taught in industry and at university).

You beat me to it! Contact a CC like De Anza to see if your experience is a fit for any of their needs. If you want to lend a hand at a 4-year university contact Santa Clara. Start out 'coaching' students and work up from there.

Tekward also has some great ideas.

Be aware that some De Anza students just want admission to Berkley but don't want to do the work. Hand such a student a 'crying towel' and introduce them to the real world.

Last edited:
I think delighting in any exploitation is distasteful. But YMMV.

The reason we have emojis here is so you know when someone is serious - or having a bit of fun. I WAS one of those exploited grad students working for an overpaid (in my humble opinion:):cool::LOL::facepalm::angel:) professors.

My suggestion would be to avoid subjects where you might be offended. Life is too short - of course, YMMV.:flowers:

The reason we have emojis here is so you know when someone is serious - or having a bit of fun. I WAS one of those exploited grad students working for an overpaid (in my humble opinion:):cool::LOL::facepalm::angel:) professors.
An emoji won’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. :)

My suggestion would be to avoid subjects where you might be offended. Life is too short - of course, YMMV.:flowers:

I think we have a high standard of civility here so no one need avoid any thread discussion. :greetings10:

An emoji won’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. :)

I think we have a high standard of civility here so no one need avoid any thread discussion. :greetings10:

Totally agree on both accounts. And in that vein, there is no need to go looking for reasons to get upset with our friends here. Most of the stuff I see lead to food fights would sound pretty innocent around a card table where we're serving each other frosty beverages - or maybe even soft drinks. Saying similar things with only 26 characters at our disposal may occasionally (incidentally, accidentally, unintentionally) lead to misunderstanding of intent and motives.

If all else fails: assume the best about our brethren and their responses - unless and until proven wrong. Of course, YMMV.

I am sorry to say this, but you have totally missed the point. The thoughtful earlier posts of KingOfThe Cheapos and EastWest Gal were identifying the exploitation of part-time and adjunct faculty. These are NOT the "overpaid" professors that you refer to. There is a cadre of people who are being exploited even after they obtained an advanced degree.

You thought you were "punching up," emoji or not, but you were punching down.

I am sorry to say this, but you have totally missed the point. The thoughtful earlier posts of KingOfThe Cheapos and EastWest Gal were identifying the exploitation of part-time and adjunct faculty. These are NOT the "overpaid" professors that you refer to. There is a cadre of people who are being exploited even after they obtained an advanced degree.

You thought you were "punching up," emoji or not, but you were punching down.

You actually have no idea what I was doing or talking about. I made a couple of perhaps off-the-wall comments. It IS possible I missed the point as I think I suggested others might have done with my reply. I would, just in general, ask for a bit of grace (or at least a request for clarification) before being personally attacked - especially when no one knows the back story I had no plan to relay. Oddly enough, the back story is very much in keeping with the topic of "what can I do when I retire" - except I'd done it before I retired. Can't say I recommend THAT approach as it leads to 60 or occasionally 70 hour weeks sometimes.

I THINK I was actually "poking" fun at myself if we must use the "punching" reference.

I FIRST learned a relatively new profession on-the-j*b at Megacrop and by taking short courses from professional associations and from governmental sources (for my Megacorp) as well as doing a LOT of reading. No one at Megacorp was doing that w*rk at the time. In response to new legislation, I was handed the assignment to learn a new-to-me field and "become" it so to speak. I did so over a couple of years.

Because I actually did the w*rk for a living, I started off designing a dual level University degree program with 4 semester set of lectures/lab courses in conjunction with a professor who had the credentials and course work under his belt, but little/no experience in the field. During 2 years, I earned my Masters degree IN the field and under that prof. Since there was no research component in the school at the time, I was just considered a TA and paid 1/4 time what a graduate student would have made. I did a lot of the teaching and grading, etc. (while taking the courses - long story.)

After graduation I BECAME one of those adjuncts that was being "exploited"! I got paid what we would have been called 1/4 time (grad student wages - cut by 3/4). For that, I re-developed the lab course (actually 2 semesters worth). Wrote all the lab exercises. Redid all the lectures. Borrowed and each week hand carried various pieces of lab equipment from Megacorp to the lab (returned them, of course ), did the required instrumental analysis back at Megacrop on my own time - as our university did not have any such equipment at the time - at least not that anyone would let us borrow - heaven knows I tried. I taught a 3 hour lab most weeks, taught 2 lectures most weeks, graded 18 to 20 lab reports most weeks, graded all tests. The prof. was busy seeking grant money and more grad students in our fledgling program - and eventually accreditation.

This was while I maintained my full time position IN THAT FIELD at Megacorp. BUT actually, I didn't feel exploited because I wanted to do it to help a field that was in trouble at the time. It's a long story I don't wish to share but, again, I maintain that it's easy to misinterpret "feelings" when we don't know each other nor the whole story and have limited ability to communicate in printed words.

I think my original comment may have been more of a sudden realization of what I went through for close to a dozen years in my efforts to make a contribution. My prof. always thanked me for my contribution as did many of my students I met at the professional meetings I attended most years from then on. I have no regrets about that time, though I still catch an occasional bit of grief from DW about it. She threatened to divorce me if I ever went for a PhD in ANY field. I wasn't even tempted.

I guess I'll just have to leave it to you to either provide a bit of grace - or not since YMMV.

I would, just in general, ask for a bit of grace (or at least a request for clarification) before being personally attacked - especially when no one knows the back story I had no plan to relay.

Fair enough. :flowers:

FWIW, I did not view what I wrote as "a personal attack." Yes, I called your comment out: The reason I did so was that I find the kind of exploitation that KingoftheCheapos (the OP) and EasWestGal refer to quite troubling, so perhaps I was too sensitive to this. I will certainly drop the issue.

[Again FWIW, not only have I seen this kind of exploitation, hell, I have DONE it. :mad: I have been forced to hire semi-desparate ad-hoc lecturers at low wages to fill holes caused by dwindling institutional support.]

Fair enough. :flowers:

FWIW, I did not view what I wrote as "a personal attack." Yes, I called your comment out: The reason I did so was that I find the kind of exploitation that KingoftheCheapos (the OP) and EasWestGal refer to quite troubling, so perhaps I was too sensitive to this. I will certainly drop the issue.

[Again FWIW, not only have I seen this kind of exploitation, hell, I have DONE it. :mad: I have been forced to hire semi-desparate ad-hoc lecturers at low wages to fill holes caused by dwindling institutional support.]

Friends again!:flowers::greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom