Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Help!!!! Need info on Mexico
Old 12-28-2005, 01:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ed,

I'm sure you could spend a couple of weeks in Jalapa and see if it is the place for you. There are plenty of decent, cheap hotels for $10-$20 per night if you look around. Take a vacation down there. Mexico city, Veracruz (the beach), and a few other cities are only hours away by bus.

I'm sure you can find a place to live in Jalapa in a quiet part of town, out in the suburbs, or right downtown in the Centro/Zocalo area, or in an upscale area (where ever that happens to be, I don't know).

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

Have been looking into Mx for some time now. Got some "stuff" from Barbie, but nothing of particular interest. I agree with some of the comments re:Mx. however, I do think you have to try it to really know the scoop. I'm going to Guadalajara late Jan for about 10 days. This is our first trip and we are looking forward to it.

I'll post my thoughts upon return.

Regards to all.
billkeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

The weather in Xalapa is just the opposite from the Pacific NW, where the dry season is during the summer. Summers in Xalapa are humid, warm--but not hot--with an afternoon thunderstorm about twice or three times weekly. The part about drizzly rain is right, it just comes in the wrong season. August can be quite cool. I saw frost on the grass early one morning. I couldn't believe it.

I spent the summer there several years ago. Loved it. There's a branch of the University of Veracruz located there. There's a first rate anthropological museum featuring some Olmec heads--they're astonishing. The countryside features canyons and waterfalls. I read that kayaking has become popular there. Coffee is grown in the region--I thought it was pretty good, too. (It's served in a tall glass with hot milk--yum.)

That said, anyone who is considering buying real estate in Mexico should do a lot of research first. There have been some well publicized struggles between expat homeowners and the Mexican legal system over the last several years. Their legal system is based on the Napoleanic code, and among other quirks, favors the rights of squatters over absentee landlords (that would be you, returning to Mexico after visiting the USA, only to find that someone has changed the locks on the doors of what you thought was your house ...) Not everyone has problems, but the cases I've read of were pretty outrageous. Mexico Connect would be a good place to start, either reading or enquiring on their extensive forums.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have spent a fair amount of time in Latin America, for as long as 18 months at a stretch. Overall, I would say it is foolish to expect Scandinavian social mores out of Latins, esp. north of the Southern Cone. Some of them sure can party though!

If you don't mind some pretty non-pc stuff, read anything by Paul Theroux on Mexico. IMO, he understands it pretty well.

Ha
Old 01-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I forgot to mention that you can't buy land in Mexico. You get a long-term lease, which can be bought, sold, or inherited. I would believe in the durability of such an arrangement in the same way that I (now) believe in the promises of my employer to honor its contract re. my retirement annuity.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #26

You can buy land in Mexico, just not near the water. The Constitution outlaws foreign ownership of land within either 50 or 100 Kilometers from the beach, I can't remember which. Outside of that area, you can own. Inside of that area, you can get a long term lease/trust. But it is non-trivial and you need a Mexican lawyer for any real estate transaction in Mexico, near the beach or not.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:46 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Disclosure ... dissenting vote ... I'm biased, but it is based upon personal experiences.

Mexico is trouble, in my book.* Fun and exciting to visit, but to live there?* Not for our family.

I'm a long-time Arizona resident ... read numerous articles over the years about Arizona residents trapped in Mexico jails for such serious offenses as having been caught with one bullet in the car, left over from a range / hunting trip.* Months or years to get out of a Mexican jail, after bribes paid.* This is not a joke, this is real.

Visited Rocky Point once, to check out a CFO opportunity with a real estate development company, owned by Canadians, based in Arizona, developing Rocky Point properties.* We were stopped by two guys armed with true assault rifles (H&K, as I recall), in the desert east of Rocky Point.* No uniforms, standing in the middle of the highway.* Said they were federales, no problem.* But ... this was in the middle of the desert, no one around.* We could have just as easily been killed, and been another group of unidentified bodies in the desert ... not an uncommon discovery in that part of the world.

That real estate development company?* Went bankrupt ... and took the deposits of American customers with them.* No requirement for escrow in Mexico.* Fortunately, I didn't take that job, before it went down.

Corrupt police, violent crime, and you are absolutely prohibited from defending yourself.* No firearms allowed for self defense ... and the police are on the take, to the extent they work at all.

So ... is this all true, all the time?* Are there only terrible people there.* No, of course not.* And most Mexican folks are just great ... very hard working, strong families and decent folks.* But for the country ... true often enough.* It is another world, not a cheap, slower pace America.* The "rights" we have here are not on the radar there ... they are only allowed when it is convenient in order to attract U.S. cash.

Some will say all this is old news, no longer true, alarmist.* Perhaps.* But when you've seen the fraud first hand (in the last 5 years), and when you've spoken to a man whose personal property and health have been taken by a corrupt Mexican judge, you get a little jaded on old Mehico.* It is a dangerous illusion.

Hope your luck is better.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:03 AM   #28

Charles makes a good point. Although the same critique can be made of the U.S. (excepting the right to bear arms). Corruption may not exist to the extent it does in Mexico, but it exists. I've spent two summers there, and had tons of classmates spending time there, many of which engaged in illegal activities while in Mexico. Never heard of anyone getting into trouble. Their judicial system is a lot more sluggish than ours (hard to believe!). Bribery is much more common.

You make your move, and take your chances.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:15 AM   #29

Why would anyone want to live in a country where the biggest crooks are the Cops??

Keep your cash at home, visit, laws are only as good as the latest dictator.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:20 AM   #30

Mexico has a strong democratic tradition, with voter turnout greater than the U.S. No dictators (in recent history). Although the PRI was deeply entrenched for a while.

Political races are very hotly contested, even local offices. Compare that to the U.S., where only the presidential race every four years gets the citizens' excitement up. Even during the presidential races, viewership of the televised debates is lackluster.

I've spoken to and been helped by a large number of mexican cops. Overall, they were very helpful, fair and intelligent. Much the same experience with US cops. I only saw one bribe in my time in Mexico, and it may have been required as a result of a legitimate traffic infraction.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:35 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why would anyone want to live in a country where the biggest crooks are the politicians Cops??
Good question!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:01 PM   #32

Charles said:
Quote:
It is another world, not a cheap, slower pace America.* The "rights" we have here are not on the radar there ... they are only allowed when it is convenient in order to attract U.S. cash.
In my experience, it seems the biggest 'problem' Ex-Pats have with moving to Mexico, is thinking that it will be 'just like home' only cheaper, and perhaps better weather.* Charles has a good point - it's important to remember it's another country, not another state of the US.

Although we stayed there (off and on for 10 years), we rented, and preferred to do so. There were months we scratched our heads and asked "What are we waiting for? Let's buy something and get settled."

Then there were other times we knew, without a doubt in our minds, that we would never, ever want to live there 'permanently' (meaning 'stuck, owning property, entrenched, cannot leave,' etc.)*

If you go to Mexico and live like you do at home, you probably won't save much money. Your favorite brand of mustard, rum, or boutique face cream are imported goods. They will cost more.* *:P

Best to live like a local, and roll with the punches... Learning Spanish helps immeasurably.* *

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 01-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #33

I haven't lived in Mexico, but I have spent a lot of time there. One other point I would make is that (at least before NAFTA) there was a big difference between the Frontera and the rest of Mexico. Mexico used to allow people to cross into the first 10 to 20 miles beyond the boarder without a visa or auto permits . . . But if you were just going down to Rocky Point or Nogales or one of the other boarder towns, they let you go with almost no checks. Those areas existed to rip-off dumb American tourists. Dumb American tourists went there to get drunk and act obnoxious. The cultural exchange was not always pretty.

But if you go a little deeper into Mexico, you find people trying to make a living and take care of their families. It's a pretty nice place. I don't think Mexico really has any more corruption than the US, it's just different. The more you understand how things work, the more you like it.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:54 PM   #34

((^+^)) SG said:
Quote:
But if you go a little deeper into Mexico, you find people trying to make a living and take care of their families.* It's a pretty nice place.* I don't think Mexico really has any more corruption than the US, it's just different.* The more you understand how things work, the more you like it.*
That has been our experience as well. We sincerely loved being in Mexico, and Billy still misses it!* Usually the problems came from people's expectations not being met. They would drive a brand new car down the (bumpy and dusty) road and then get angry because all the bolts (or whatever it is that holds cars together) would come loose, and they would have to get it to the repair man... and wait.... and wait... or the car would constantly be dusty from the road... and they would have to get it washed more often. :P

Or the brand new shiny car which was beyond any Mexican's paygrade would get scratched by someone or their mirrors would be stolen..

The lifespan of a new car was about 2 years.* Better to buy a 'junker' and blend in having no problems. But some people's egos couldn't handle that...

Or, like I said, some wanted the same food they ate at home, and then would complain bitterly at the tennis court "I'm not saving a bit of money living here!!"

Or... some would speak VERY LOUD in English, thinking that, since they didn't know Spanish, SPEAKING REEEELY LOUD would compensate and the Mexicans would 'just know' what they were talking about..* *

I mean, it was funny sometimes...* *

Akaisha
Old 01-15-2006, 01:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Further afield, I am interested in Chile, Argentina and Uruguay.*
Sounds good Ed; add Brasil and I'm ready to do the tour!

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:51 PM   #36

Chile has always fascinated me.. The loooong coastline and the variety of climate. Seems it could offer a lot of natural beauty. Anyone been there?

I hear the women in Brazil are always naked outstandingly beautiful on the beaches, and that is a plus for many guys to want to travel there.*

We thought the local people in Venezuela were the most beautiful and handsome we have ever seen. The mix of the races at its best. And the international cuisine wasn't bad either!* *

Akaisha
Old 01-16-2006, 12:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
And the international cuisine wasn't bad either!* *
Thai food is delicious, but sometimes I do miss a good steak...

Lance

Old 01-16-2006, 08:25 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Billy said:

I hear the women in Brazil are always naked outstandingly beautiful on the beaches, and that is a plus for many guys to want to travel there.

-------------------------------

Billy, I think you've been gandering too much at men's magazines such as Forbes.
:
ForeignExchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
Thai food is delicious, but sometimes I do miss a good steak...

Lance
Hey Lance, I enjoyed the Thai food we had when we got together last November.
In the past, the only "free" steak I had, was at our annual xmas party. I had a choice of salmon, chicken or steak. I always picked the hugh rib steak (medium/rare). With no more xmas parties for me (yehhh), I'll have to find another source for my occasional steak indulgence.

MJ
Old 01-17-2006, 05:37 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Hey Lance, I enjoyed the Thai food we had when we got together last November
I walked by that restaurant tonight MJ and it was still hopping! Auntie Jazz really packs them in