Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Help!!!! Need info on Mexico
Old 12-26-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Help!!!! Need info on Mexico

Happy Holidays everyone!!!!!!!!!

I need some info. I received some material from Barbie Parks (Retire in Luxury web site) and it looks good on the face of it. She and her husband retired to Mazatlan, MX and she has been suggesting a company that builds/sells real estate. She appears to be quite nice and very helpful.

I am thinking of going there over spring break to look it over and see the possiblity of ERing there in Mazatlan or in the vicinity. Has anyone on this Board dealt with Mrs. Parks or or her real estate people?
Thanks for any helpful insights. I'm trying to narrow between Panama and Mexico.

Professor
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Help!!!! Need info on Mexico
Old 12-26-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

hey prof,

This may be of help to you! I don't know these people but on another forum she is very helpful to people going to that part of Mexico.

http://skping.smugmug.com/MAZATLAN

Buen Viaje!

judy
Old 12-26-2005, 09:31 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Muchas gracias, Judy!!!!!!!!! 8)

We really enjoyed the pix and text for Mazatlan.* I think it's going to be a done deal!!!!!!!!* We are anxious to go and see for ourselves.

Professor
Old 12-27-2005, 04:00 AM   #4

Sadly, health concerns seem to have cut the Mexican adventure short at an age prior to what would be a "normal" retirement age.* I guess that demonstrates, again, that you never know what the future will bring.*

Plan, retire early.* You can always go back to work.* Without planning, the reverse is more difficult to accomplish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWV
Old 12-27-2005, 07:54 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would be curious on long term residential rentals in Mazatlan. Does anyone know of a source of that kind of information? Perhaps to rent for a year, furnished or not. But not at vacation prices.

Ian
Old 12-27-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to have a link to a useful website but alas I can't seem to find it. I checked yahoo and there are a number of sites you could browse through.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Professor,

We have been to Maz. I didn't want to come home.

Maz has a fair number of retirees who fall into basically two categories: those who live in The Golden Zone and those do not. Those others live elsewhere in town, often in in El Centro, the old center of town.

There is a group who meet once a week (Sunday, when I was there) for beer and talk at a pre-arranged location that changes from time to time. Check out the forum at: http://www.mazinfo.com/ which is a GREAT resource for many things. Read everything on Mazinfo, then go there for at least a 2-week visit, meet people and see what you think of the place. You should be prepared for some culture shock. My wife was disturbed by all of the beggers on the tourist streets . If you like it, come back again for a long stay.

You can live there reasonably well without speaking Spanish, but you should have an objective of becoming fluent. Life will be better if you do.

Be aware that there are folks who want to take advantage of you, but if you read Mazinfo, you will learn about them.

If you are coming from the Pacific Northwest, you may find it cheaper to fly out of Vancouver, BC.

Other places in Mexico that interest me are Guadalajara, Tepic, Zacatecas and Xalapa, for reasons of weather, amusement and safety.

Check out http://www.peoplesguide.com/index.html Better yet, buy the book, "The People's Guide to Mexico" and read it.

Also take a peek at http://www.travelblogs.com/dougdo/gu...eable_city.htm

And http://www.mexconnect.com/ . Spend $30 for a subscription and read everything there. It will take you a while.

Do your homework, prof!

Cheers,

Ed
Old 12-27-2005, 12:28 PM   #8

I had an inkling to retire to Mexico, spent almost two years on the Lake Chapala site talking to Ex Pats.

I decided it was not for us, one Scorpion in the house, my wife would be gone, crowing Roosters at 3 a.m, no thanks, dubious future for property values, plus universal concern about crime, not my way of living.

I have also spoke to several who, for te first 18 months or so, things seemed perfect, then reality set in and they moved back.

My feelings only, some do go and stay, but I think it is a lot easier in an exclusive gated condo complex, but then you might as well be in Florida?
Old 12-27-2005, 12:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

P.S. to professor,

A well-known realtor in Mazaltan no longer arranges for long-term leases of property in Maz. It seems that too many gringos were running out on their leases, causing angry landlords.

Does this tell you anything?

By the way, it gets hot in Maz in the summer.

If you want to buy a time-share (god only knows why you would want to), buy it on the secondary market. It wil be tons cheaper than new.

As I have said often, I would not buy property in a foreign country--possible exception, Canada (I am a Yankee, woorking in Canada).

Good luck.

Howard,

Good input. Thanks.

Lessons:
a) Do your homework.
b) Visit for an extended period.
c) Don't buy nuttin' you can't put in your bags when you leave.

Ed
Old 12-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank everyone--and especially you, Ed!!!!!!!!!! Great post and loads of information. I promise I will do my homework. With something this important, I definitely want to be at the head of the class!!

Professor
Old 12-27-2005, 12:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm.

Looking at the "smugmug" reference in Judy's post, I might reconsider my do-not-buy policy one day.

Lalo El Gitano
Old 12-28-2005, 07:30 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Thank everyone--and especially you, Ed!!!!!!!!!! Great post and loads of information. I promise I will do my homework. With something this important, I definitely want to be at the head of the class!!

Professor
I made several visits to Mexico intending to retire there and from the expats there learned that it is best to rent for a while like a year or two to see if this life is for you.

Mexico is the most foreign of countries you may ever visit. Part of it is third world, part developing and some very modern.

I spent time in Alamos Sonora a lovely little town in the hills quaint all over it, but there were draw backs if you wanted to live the American style of life. Living Mexican can be less costly and enjoyable.....BUT different. Most US types aren't up to living Mexican style or even expat style; they want the US style and nothing else will do, they are spoiled and .... oh well that is another post.

Like ED said don't buy ANYTHING you can't pack in you suitcase on the first trip.

Another good site is Mexico Mikes just google

Lots of luck

Old 12-28-2005, 07:48 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Its hot. Its humid. If you leave the sphere of these gringo retirement areas things can get a little dicey. Dont drink the water. Dont eat at roadside taco stands, particularly in areas with rapidly decreasing squirrel and iguana populations.

Remember Tony Bourdains words when he first sampled iguana tamales, which to be fair to the iguana was still partially raw and contained bits of burned skin and some chunks of bone:

"Unbelievably horrible. I just want to die.. I mean really bad. I want to dip my head into a bucket of lye, you know, pull my eyes out of their sockets and jump off a cliff."
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:55 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Damn, ()--

I sure would hate to think you are in charge of Tourism for the Mexican government or travel industry there

Professor
Old 12-28-2005, 08:03 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Indeed...

I had some friends who checked out one of the larger gringo retirement areas there and came back with no further interest. Turns out if you drove outside of the central area the cops would regularly stop you and make you pay a fine on the spot for some imagined moving violation. Sometimes the cops werent even real cops. Sometimes people who werent even pretending to be cops would stop you, take your car, and leave you standing there. If you were lucky.

That sort of thing pretty much rules that idea out for me. To hell with the iguana tamales.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:17 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

In re: ()'s post immediately above,

This is one reason I am interested in Zacatecas, Tepic and Xalapa. They ain't gringo enclaves. Tepic and Xalapa are also university towns (maybe Zacatecas, too). PEMEX HQ is in Xalapa, I am told. Potential for being low-profile. They are also at altitude and the weather is very mild. Xalapa, I am told, has a climate similar to the Pacific Northwest. They have a rain called the chippi-chippi which is light but persistent (everlasting?). A buddy from home (the PNW) worked for PEMEX for a year in Xalapa and gave me a good report.

Further afield, I am interested in Chile, Argentina and Uruguay. Don't laugh. One feature of Chile and Argentina is their high proportion of European-origin population. White-bread northern-European-heritage-types like me would blend in there. Having said that, foreigners are still targets. A young colleague of mine, fluent in Spanish and fairly street-smart after living in Argentina for 6 months visiting relatives, was robbed in a taxi when he went to visit Chile.

Oh, yeah. Don't take anything with you that you can't afford to lose, 'cause you might lose it.

Cheers,

Ed The Gypsy
Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 AM   #17

I spent a few days in Jalapa a couple years ago (same as Xalapa, I guess, the capital of the state of Veracruz, a few hours drive from the gulf coast city of Veracruz). Very hilly/mountainous. Climate is what I'd imagine the Pac NW would be - cloudy frequently, or a little overcast. Cool even in summer, sometimes humid, misty/rain. I suppose it is very moderate year-round, given the proximity to the equator. It's at a pretty high altitude (if you're from the flatlands). The University of Veracruz is a big university in the city, so it is a college town of sorts. It has the same occasional beggars as most other Mexican cities.

We stayed in a nice, clean hotel a block off the main street and a few blocks down from the town square (zocalo) for probably $10-15/night.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:00 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

justin,

That's the place. Can you tell us more about your visit?

Thnx.

Ed
Old 12-28-2005, 09:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
justin,

That's the place. Can you tell us more about your visit?

Thnx.

Ed
Not much more. We were only there for a couple of days. Like many of our days in Mexico, we did "nothing". It is very hilly but in spite of that we explored the town on foot. We went up the hill, checked out some local markets and stores. I bought a bottle of brandy or something. I got fussed at because I carried my bookbag into the store instead of checking it at the door (a custom in theft-prone stores I suppose). Ate at a little cafe. We hung out in the zocalo, watched pigeons, watched people, had some street vendor food (including a hotdog wrapped in bacon, if memory serves). Checked out a cathedral or two.

They do have a very nice, modern bus station. We had a very good and cheap "set lunch" of steak and veggies, spaqhetti, juice, soup and dessert at a little sidewalk cafe near the bus station.

The rest is a blur. I don't recall seeing any touristy kind of things (besides the cathedral). The buildings around the zocalo were very old and historic, like in just about any mexican city. We had just departed from Veracruz prior to arriving in Jalapa. It was much busier and noisy in Veracruz, and we were out and about more, so we just wanted to relax. Jalapa was our resting point half way between Veracruz and Puebla.

I just checked google Earth, and Jalapa is referred to as "Xalapa" on there. Elevation 5000 ft. There's a volcano to the east about 13,000 feet.

To sum up, it seemed like relatively nice, quiet mid-sized city; a little bohemian. The main street was full of traffic and busses, but once you are off the main street, it is pretty quiet.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:21 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Muchas gracias, justin!

You can see why I might be interested in X/Jalapa.

For general information, I am looking at extended visits in one place or another as opposed to the extremity of buying a hacienda and renouncing my US citizenship (god forbid).

For sure, DW would never consider a permanent relocation and I don't see the need. We have enjoyed our lifestyle of living in one place for a time then moving and doing it all over again.

All the best,

Ed The Gypsy