Help planning trip to Youngstown, Ohio?

kitty_37

Dryer sheet aficionado
I am going (from NYC area) to Youngstown, Ohio for my neice's softball tournament. But spending 4 days watching 12 and under softball is not my idea of a vacation!

Is there anything else I can do there? Is it reasonable to go up by Lake Erie, either to stay and drive back and forth for games, or just for a 1/2 day trip? Amish? Pottery? Museums?

I'll probably stop in Pittsburgh for a museum break, but have no other plans. I don't need to stay right in Youngstown, I'll have my car.

thanks in advance!

Ugh, Youngstown. I think the area by lake Erie on the PA side is pretty. Lots of vineyards, etc. I dunno if you are close enough for Amish country. Maybe someone in the area could say.

Amish country

yes, nearby is Walnut Creek, Sugarcreek, Millersburg - Amish country.
also, visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton.
furniture: visit Sheely's Furniture store, largest between NY and Chi-town from
what I hear. It's in nearby North Lima.
In Akron, stay at the Crowne Plaza Quaker Square.
Listed in the National Register of Historical Places this unique hotel boosts 190 guest rooms built in the original grain silos of the Quaker Oats Company.

Ugh, Youngstown.

that's what I was afraid of.
:rolleyes:

thanks anyway for the help.

Bennevis, I will skip the football hall of fame, but the rest sounds good!

kitty

Cleveland, Akron, Canton, and Pittsburgh are all within about an hours drive for you. Cleveland has a nice Natural History museum, and the Great Lakes Science Center is right on the lake next to the stadium and Rock Hall of Fame.
I second the hotel recommendation. All round rooms must have been a nightmare for the builders.
Amish country is really nice. Kidron is one of my favorites(might be 1.5 hours away), with Lehman's Hardware the coolest place to browse through - sorta like an antique store. I heard that this store is the #1 place for Hollywood to obtain props for some of their older sets. Just a warning, though, don't go to Amish country on Sundays because you won't see much going on as they are religious (so to speak) about taking their Sundays off.

To followup...
Not much in Youngstown itself. (Pretty depressed area the last time I was there).
There's also Amish country in the Hiram area - maybe 1/2 hour from Youngstown. And a cheese factory or 2 there, IIR. Nice state park near Hiram- Nelson Ledges - link: Nelson-Kennedy Ledges State Park
Also nice bicycling and walking on the MetroParks trail N of Akron along the Ohio/Erie Canal trail in Peninsula and also hiking at the ledges of Virginia Kendall in Peninsula.

Youngstown

A friend of mine who used to live in Youngstown says the following:

Youngstown is about 45 minutes from Cleveland which has tons to do: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Lake Erie, Museums etc. so where you stay if you like to drive is up to you. In regards to Youngstown, not much to do outside of visiting the University campus, great museums, park, and shopping. Pittsburgh is about an hour away and offers the same types of amenities as Cleveland. Also, if they want to see the Amishtown, it is about 25 minutes away from Youngstown.

Have fun!

thanks!

I haven't been able to post to thank you all- some sort of log in problem.

Well, it's not Macchu-Pichu, but I only have a week, and half of that will be tournament games.
But thanks- I will be glad to try the nearby park, and we may go to a Cleveland Indians game one night, and maybe the Zoo.
The Youngstown Museum of American Art, and a lot of pottery stuff I like is nearby also. Planning to hit the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh on the way home.

Again, thanks-

kitty

Back
Top Bottom