Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I suppose it's possible I'll change my mind some day; but that sounds too much like work.

-Khan the Hermit
It's a lot of work, but at the time I thought, "What else do I have to do with my free time?" It wasn't like I had anybody waiting at home for me.

-W2R the Formerly Solitary Semi-Hermitess

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Wow you seem to have a nice friendship !
I think so! It's great to be friends as well as romanticly interested, don't you think? Nothing kills a romance faster than having no basis in friendship, it seems to me. Well, maybe marriage kills it faster, sometimes.

Frank was just pointing out yesterday that we have been together a lot longer than some marriages survive, and we are still crazy about each other. Sometimes, things just work out the way you always knew they should.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I've thought about trying an online service but have been afraid some of these women would only be interested in my body.
I hate when that happens. After all, I have a brain and feelings too.

But it was funny to get hit on by some female at one of the conferences with my wedding ring in plain sight. Some of 'em just didn't care I guess.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:44 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I believe the internet is different for men than women. The women--although not all honest or wonderful--in general (I said IN GENERAL) tend to be sincerely looking for a mate, whereas, many of the men seem to be players or wanna-be players.
Myself, I just did NOT have the time, since I was working many, many hours then, to sort thru all the guys who responded. If I did the net now, I would have more than enough time to cull the good ones from the creeps. Want2Retire did it right...and she found herself a good one it seems.
I'm really not a negative person, but you would not believe all the responses I got as it was overwhelming....but an amazing number were attached (married or living with someone) or looking for a sugar mama or sociopathic. Very disheartening.
However, the wide variety of careers was a trip: from mechanics to a couple nationally known best selling authors (one who got really pissed that I had never read his book...the egomaniac!), and old professional baseball player from the Washington Senators and a nationally known t.v. personality. Ya never know who will show up on these internet dating sites... But, again, I just did not have the time to give to this or even date then, so why did I ever let my friend talk me into doing that then? So, it was my fault I didn't find anyone then.

Walt34: Many women--who don't really want a deep relationship--just love married men. Welcome to the single woman's world!

P.S. I was dying my hair then and now have let it go to it's current natural silvery white. I'll bet nobody answers my ad now. I should do one as a test and see.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I believe the internet is different for men than women. The women--although not all honest or wonderful--in general (I said IN GENERAL) tend to be sincerely looking for a mate, whereas, many of the men seem to be players or wanna-be players.
I agree, though I have heard that a lot of the women online are golddiggers.

Quote:
I'm really not a negative person, but you would not believe all the responses I got as it was overwhelming....but an amazing number were attached (married or living with someone) or looking for a sugar mama or sociopathic. Very disheartening.
It is very disheartening, and a girl can only take so much at a time. But if finding someone is a priority in your life (and from your posts, I think it is) then I know you'll try again when you are able to stand it a little more.

Quote:
P.S. I was dying my hair then and now have let it go to it's current natural silvery white. I'll bet nobody answers my ad now. I should do one as a test and see.
I think you'll have a lot fewer responses, but then it won't be as overwhelming to sort through them. Back in 2000, my hair was going between brown and grey so I never knew what to check, and with my constant battle with weight I never knew what to check there, either. I tried to be honest without underrating myself, and I worked really hard on creating a brief but interesting profile. When we met Frank's hair was white (what little there was of it) and still is. Mine is now grey/white, too.

By the way - - Frank is one of the most articulate and verbose people I know of when writing e-mails or essays, as he is very intelligent, is a Tulane grad, and has a wonderful grasp of the English language. However, his first e-mail to me was one of those one liners that look like they are from an inarticulate, uneducated person. Not insulting, but kind of dippy, y'know? I almost didn't answer it for that reason. I guess he didn't know what, or how much, a woman would like to hear in an introductory e-mail, and felt awkward.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I think so! It's great to be friends as well as romanticly interested, don't you think? Nothing kills a romance faster than having no basis in friendship, it seems to me. Well, maybe marriage kills it faster, sometimes.

Frank was just pointing out yesterday that we have been together a lot longer than some marriages survive, and we are still crazy about each other. Sometimes, things just work out the way you always knew they should.
You've outlasted my marriage.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #27

For a fellow with money who really likes the cute-no brains-great body bimbette, try sugardaddie.com--THE ultimate golddigger site to find a rich guy (or for the guy seeking a sugar mama, by the way). Been on interview-type tv more than once.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

Well I might as well fess up . I met my So on the internet and we've been together eight years . He has an engineering and a law degree . I even remember my add here goes .Don't look for me at the bar scene I'm more a Barnes and Noble type . I read constantly even read cereal boxes if desperate . I'm 5' 5" and the perfect weight for someone 5' 6" . I'm fun ,easy going and generally nice .
Okay maybe that's not exactly it but it's pretty close . I got a lot of answers only a few married guys and only one wacko who kept calling .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well I might as well fess up . I met my So on the internet and we've been together eight years . He has an engineering and a law degree . I even remember my add here goes .Don't look for me at the bar scene I'm more a Barnes and Noble type . I read constantly even read cereal boxes if desperate . I'm 5' 5" and the perfect weight for someone 5' 6" . I'm fun ,easy going and generally nice .
Okay maybe that's not exactly it but it's pretty close . I got a lot of answers only a few married guys and only one wacko who kept calling .
How cool is that! Sounds like you met your match! Is/was he a lawyer, then? It seems like you are very happy. Did you date a lot of different men from the matchmaking website, or did you find him right away? The coffee shop at B&N is probably the most popular place for first meetings, here, overall (or was in 2000). Maybe you started a trend?

I forgot to mention - - as well as married, wanting a place to live, wanting a green card, or being a psycho, some of the guys had custody of their kids and wanted a live in mommy to help them raise the kids. Not my personal cup of tea! And then there's always the "chemistry" factor which can be a problem even when everything else seemed to be right.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
................P.S. I was dying my hair then and now have let it go to it's current natural silvery white. I'll bet nobody answers my ad now. I should do one as a test and see.
When I was doing the internet dating thing, I found that in general, the really attractive women didn't post pictures - I guess to use that as a filter to find someone interested in them as opposed to their looks. It worked as an advantage for me, because pictureless posts get many fewer responses. As a balding, average looking guy, I dated more beautiful women than I ever did in my youth.

Men take note.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When I was doing the internet dating thing, I found that in general, the really attractive women didn't post pictures - I guess to use that as a filter to find someone interested in them as opposed to their looks. It worked as an advantage for me, because pictureless posts get many fewer responses. As a balding, average looking guy, I dated more beautiful women than I ever did in my youth.

Men take note.
Hmmm! I didn't put a photo in my ad, mainly because I didn't want contacts from work to see it.

Frank is balding, short, but muscular, and an outstandingly handsome guy (in my opinion). He didn't post a picture, probably because he didn't have a digital camera at the time. Prior to meeting him I always visualized myself with a tall partner, because I am quite tall, and probably we would never have connected in our youth.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmmm! I didn't put a photo in my ad, mainly because I didn't want contacts from work to see it.................
I should add that I didn't mean to imply anything about anyone posting here - Orchidflower's post reminded me of what I thought was an interesting aspect of internet dating.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I should add that I didn't mean to imply anything about anyone posting here - Orchidflower's post reminded me of what I thought was an interesting aspect of internet dating.
No problem! I took it as a potential compliment, though in my case it wasn't merited since I had other reasons for not posting my photo.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

[quote=Want2retire;617063 some of the guys had custody of their kids and wanted a live in mommy to help them raise the kids. Not my personal cup of tea! And then there's always the "chemistry" factor which can be a problem even when everything else seemed to be right.[/quote]

Funny thing is what clinched the deal with my So is he had custody of four boys the youngest was in high school when we met . When I saw what a great father he was I was hooked .

PS - He did not want any help raising those boys .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Funny thing is what clinched the deal with my So is he had custody of four boys the youngest was in high school when we met . When I saw what a great father he was I was hooked .

PS - He did not want any help raising those boys .
Sounds like the perfect guy for you!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
=Want2retire;617085

Frank is balding, short, but muscular, and an outstandingly handsome guy (in my opinion
Can't be as good looking as my pic posted earlier in this thread.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That pic was GROSS!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That pic was GROSS!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #39

Quote:

All I know is this.. if 6 pack abs are good, then surely 1 keg abs are better.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #40

Quote:
... some of the guys had custody of their kids and wanted a live in mommy to help them raise the kids. Not my personal cup of tea!
That worked the other way too. In my 20's I dated a couple of women with kids who were obviously looking for a meal ticket. Clearly it's a package deal in a situation like that but they scared me off.