Hiking and skiing at 93

She's awesome! DW and I tried to take her mom (then 87) about 5 years ago and it didn't go well. She tweaked her knee and we haven't brought her hiking since.

Easy to get injured when you're older. And it takes longer to recover.

I think that there are more appropriate things to do at 93.

Great to read about.

How could anyone not love someone like this?

I had a neighbor once who still walked all around the neighborhood at 101, and he was so inspirational.

My mom, age 90, lives independently and is healthy and walks a mile or so every day. But she is very tentative on uneven ground and steps and tells me that it is because she is afraid of falling. At that age a fall and possible broken hip is disastrous. She has several friends that have fallen and never recovered.

How could anyone not love someone like this?

I had a neighbor once who still walked all around the neighborhood at 101, and he was so inspirational.

There were a couple of old folks at the gym (pre-COVID) who were real inspirations/role models for me (at the then-age of 74) when I was tempted to use my advancing years as a rationale for slacking off. But no one quite in the league with the Maine lady in the article.

By what standard of inappropriateness are you judging this person? How is her behavior improper or unfitting?

I think that there are more appropriate things to do at 93.

WOW! That is amazing and she is doing what she loves to do at her age is a blessing. Good for her!!

Pretty amazing. But exceptions usually are.

Or my personal idol, Larry Lewis.

From his 1974 obituary:
Larry Lewis, a long-distance running centenarian who ran six miles through Golden Gate Park almost every day of his life, died Friday at the age of 106.

Doctors at Hahnemann Hospital said Lewis died of cancer of the liver. “He never gave up,” said Robert Brown, a friend who was with Lewis when he died. Lewis became ill recently but until then he was a veritable dynamo who could outrun and outwalk men half his age.

Lewis, a waiter at the St. Francis Hotel, celebrated his 102nd birthday by running 100 yards in 17.3 seconds, half a second faster than on his 101st birthday. The extra speed, Lewis explained, was due to his sneakers. He said he wore street shoes for the 101st birthday dash.

Lewis, a one-time assistant to the great Houdini, ran 6.7 miles through the park every day almost always in a time of 37 minutes. “I can’t sit still,” Lewis once told newsmen. Lewis was reared on a Navajo Indian reservation in Arizona and left at 15 to join the P.T. Barnum Circus as an acrobat and aerialist. For 33 years he was Houdini’s assistant.

Thank you for posting. How inspiring! My step father is like this. 94 and still going strong. He has made it a life long goal to maintain his fitness and it’s certainly paid off. Unfortunately now he’s starting to have some mental decline, I think due to not being diligent about wearing his hearing aides. But it’s wonderful to see him out and active.

Great article, amazing lady

We met a lady of 93, tent camping by herself, at Mammoth Caves this year.
Was great to sit and talk with her...

Decline just...happens. Part of wearing out. Different parts wear out at different rates on different people. Perhaps the mental decline contributes to making the hearing aids difficult to manage or easy to forget.

94 and still going strong. He has made it a life long goal to maintain his fitness and it’s certainly paid off. Unfortunately now he’s starting to have some mental decline, I think due to not being diligent about wearing his hearing aides.

True. While it would be great to be that active at 93, I don't even know if I'll still be alive when I'm 83...or even when I'm 73.
Exactly. I do still do strenuous and active hiking weekly but I am only 62. People like her are my inspiration. My philosophy is simple. Keep on moving. DW and I walk 3-5 miles every day with the dog. Once in the morning and once after dinner.

Back
Top Bottom