Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did this in Jan- I have been enjoying the heck out of it. I wish I had measured myself before I started. On the advice of someone at my gym I started a workout notebook, and I recommend you do that. It has been GREAT for seeing progress- I could only do 4 pushups when I started. I can do 12 now. Also, saves time because I never remember which weight I used with a machine last time. I can just look it up. And I highlight workouts I like, and when I can't think of anything to do, I just go back and re-do one of those. I enjoyed working with my trainer every week, but I am now working out with her every other week. Will go to once a month soon.

Also- technology!! I bought a Scosche rhythm+ heart rate monitor- it fits on your forearm. I pair it with the endomondo fitness app. Tells me how hard I'm working out, and keeps a log of my workouts. It tells me a lot of other things I don't really care about, but I find it motivating.

Last- the REASON I started working out was I read "Younger Next Year" which is a fun and easy read, but emphasized to me the importance of being in shape- to help you age better. Extremely motivating. Good luck. I hope you enjoy the gym as much as I do!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #22
gone traveling

One comment about personal trainers, they are not all created equal. I've seen way too many that stand there while their clients are using poor form, and many know nothing about nutrition. Make sure you get what you are paying for, so asking around locally and getting references might help as well as interviewing them to ensure you can work well together given your goals. When I first started lifting I used a trainer for maybe the first 3 months, and then adopted a do it yourself approach, aided by lots of good info from the internet, along with videos.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #23

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. Wednesday was my first workout and I did pretty good. The only pain I have that seems a bit different than normal workout muscle pain is in my elbow. I'll discuss that tomorrow at my next workout. To respond to a couple points made so far. The trainer is a friend of mine and I've watched her for about 5 years as she transformed herself. She got certified in personal training and functional medicine. She took herself from being overweight and out of shape to today where she is rock solid and competes in weightlifting competitions (and does well). She's very smart and has worked hard learning this from a few highly rated trainers. Now she's added personal training to her life and I couldn't imagine going to anyone else. She was one of my employees when I was working so now the tables are turned. Hope I treated her as well as I think I did as an employee .

Yes, diet is a big thing and the first thing we went over. However, I do know how to eat and her and I have discussed my eating compared to hers (ultra strict) over the years. The diet program she gave me is no different than how I know to eat, my problem is in the execution. My hope in paying her for a three month program is that the money will motivate me to actually perform well. The diet is well balanced. Higher in protein and good fats and low on carbs (not keto low). Basically, eat meats, nuts, good fats and vegetables. Go light on the fruit.

Regarding the resistance training versus cardio, I'll do both. Similar to eating, I already know how to get my heart rate up and keep it there. The need was to incorporate resistance training. My plan is to workout (resistance) three days per week until I'm where I want to be then I'll probably go down to two. Cardio will probably be two to three days also. We haven't fully developed a plan, but I think at best, I'm good for four days a week. Three would be better. The main thing is to get my weight down, under control and then move to a maintenance mode. The most important thing I want from the trainer is to develop my ability with regard to resistance training. She'll be more involved than that (she can't help but to do so, she's very into health), but that's the focus as it is the area I've never developed and need to make sure I learn proper form.

Tomorrow is my second workout! I hope some day I'll be as excited about this as many of you are. But, like it or not, I am taking it serious.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Regarding the resistance training versus cardio, I'll do both. Similar to eating, I already know how to get my heart rate up and keep it there. The need was to incorporate resistance training. My plan is to workout (resistance) three days per week until I'm where I want to be then I'll probably go down to two.
Resistance training is important but a lot of people tend to overlook it or think it's not very important. I've even heard people who have never touched a weight in their lives say that they're worried that they'll get "musclebound" if they lift. If they really knew how hard it was to add muscle they'd never say that.

Resistance training doesn't just build muscle...it strengthens ligaments and bones, which is crucial as people age. With strong legs and a strong core you are far less likely to fall, and if you do fall, you're far less likely to injure yourself.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey that's awesome. I had a PT for a year and I worked out with him 1 a week. Taught me a bunch. I'm 57 re 6/2017 so I get to the gym ~6 days a week. I'm close enough that I ride my hybrid bike there, about 5 miles round trip. There's no reason, unless you have some kind of physical issue, that you can't work out vigorously with free weight, and machines. I learned how to squat, dead lift and bench press from my trainer so I'm confident in my form. You can as well. I also do lots of core movements to keep tight and have gotten a decent six pack, can't believe it.
Get the most out of your trainer, and have some fun with the process. After you start seeing results, it's a real motivator to adjust into a healthy fitness lifestyle :-)
ttvjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttvjef View Post
I also do lots of core movements to keep tight and have gotten a decent six pack, can't believe it.
Core exercises by themselves do not build 6 packs, but what one does in the kitchen and dinning table will
Hired a personal trainer
Old 05-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Hired a personal trainer

It’s one of those things that you just have to get up and do. Some days you can’t wait to get to the gym! Some days it’s just what you do. That’s most days hopefully. Then there are those occasional days that you just don’t want to but make yourself do it, don’t give in! Develop that mental toughness and discipline. This is how you get into a routine. You’ll look back after a year and smile because it’s worth it.
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post

Yes, diet is a big thing and the first thing we went over. However, I do know how to eat and her and I have discussed my eating compared to hers (ultra strict) over the years. The diet program she gave me is no different than how I know to eat, my problem is in the execution. My hope in paying her for a three month program is that the money will motivate me to actually perform well. The diet is well balanced. Higher in protein and good fats and low on carbs (not keto low). Basically, eat meats, nuts, good fats and vegetables. Go light on the fruit.

Sounds like her diet advice is sound. You should lose some weight (and get healthier) if you follow that advice. As for motivation to eat healthy and exercise.........I got my motivation mainly from seeing several other folks around my age (friends and acquaintances, former coworkers) either putting on a lot of weight as they aged, getting sick, becoming disabled, etc.. I REALLY, REALLY don't want to end up like that as I get older, so that is enough to motivate me to eat healthy and keep moving every day.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #29

General question: How does one find a trainer if one already belongs to a gym. I other words, are trainers 'portable' (they can go to any gym to meet their client) or are you stuck with working with one that is at your gym?

I've had 2 not-good experiences with trainers. I bought a Cross-Fit package on Groupon several years ago. Upon arrival I explained to the trainer that I have scoliosis/back problems, but otherwise I am 'good to go'. He had me go thru a series of exercises and use some equipment (rowing machine, etc.). All the while while he was exhorting me to go faster/harder while monitoring my performance (setting a baseline fitness & capability level). I expressed concerns about my back, but he egged me on. I ended up with severe back pain and I was so disgusted that I never went back as I felt he had zero regard for my me and preserving my back.

When I joined a local LA fitness, the manager set me up with a complimentary session with a trainer. This guy seemed intent on just having me do all sorts of workouts with weights to show how out-of-shape I was. He didn't take any notes on my performance nor was he watching me for form. He also had me working out in the area that is free weights and stuff (plates?) that is typically filled with guys. I don't mind guys (in fact I like them), but I felt sort of out-of-place. I don't know how to state it better.

Again, I felt like he had no sense of me (a lady) and what my goals, and current level of fitness, were.

Both experiences left me cold. Neither guy seemed to have any interest in understanding my needs/goals and developing a custom routine for me, the client.

I'd always thought it would be great to work with a trainer. Now I'm not sure.

Any suggestions for finding a good trainer? And how do you "trial'' them to see if they are a good fit?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #30

I don’t know if it’s universal, but I think you pretty much have to work with the personal trainers from the gym you’re at. I don’t think it’s accepted to “bring your own”. The logistics would be difficult anyway. For the trainer to get in, they’d have to have a membership or pay the daily rate if one exists. Then they’d probably have to be low key. I think you’d have to pull it off as two friends working out together. Too much trouble for you or the trainer to deal with. The model works against you because my understanding is that the gyms get into arrangements with personal trainers where the gym gets a percentage of the trainers fee.

I wish I could help you find a good trainer. I think it is definitely something where you need a reference from someone you trust that has worked with the person and then interview the person and most important, until you’re comfortable with them, enforce your own limits. This is obviously hard since in a way, you’re paying to be encouraged or pushed to do something, but I wouldn’t worry about that for a couple of workouts until you’re comfortable with the trainer. It is a relationship.

I was lucky. The person I’m working with is someone that worked with me and for me during about the last ten years of my working life. I watched her take herself from a 30yo in poor shape to a 40yo in fantastic shape. I casually discussed all things health related with her for years. She got her personal training certification a few years ago and has worked up to now she has her own private gym. I’m very proud of her and take a small bit of credit as someone who encouraged her along the way. So, there’s no one else I would have considered.

The point is, in my opinion, you need to look at this as a relationship. Don’t go all in too fast, be willing to walk away, take time to build some mutual respect and understanding and then you’ll be more likely to get what you’re looking for. Personal opinion, find a woman. Sorry guys, at least percentage wise, women are more understanding (they listen). I gravitate toward women physicians and I’ve just had better experiences that way. This (personal trainer) is similar.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
Way to go! The most important thing is to keep trying, and looks like you're nailing that part.

I can also recommend The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg if you're interested in learning more about habits and how to build them.
Very timely for me. I am about 2/3rds of the way through this book and it is already paying dividends for me.

My #1 goal upon retiring was to do something about my physical condition and to lose weight. Unfortunately, I always found a reason not to turn down second helpings or to get out and exercise.

Since I've been reading 'The Power of Habit', I have met or exceeded my exercise goal 5 out of the last 6 days.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
General question: How does one find a trainer if one already belongs to a gym. I other words, are trainers 'portable' (they can go to any gym to meet their client) or are you stuck with working with one that is at your gym?
It depends on your gym whether they will allow an outside trainer or not. I've seen gyms that do and those that do not. Here is a link with some info on selecting a good trainer. It certainly is a relationship and requires good communication between both parties. You definitely want someone that has experience and proper training as well and its important for you to make clear your goals/expectations. A good trainer will never slack off after working with them for a while.

https://www.gymsource.com/blog/how-t...rsonal-trainer
Old 05-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #33

Health is wealth. I should really update my signature to that...it's me and DWs Mantra. We don't always get along, but we do agree that it's important to maintain our health...neither let's each other slack. I agree though, winter is tough...I always gain weight and have to work harder in the spring.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

mine was mean today - she had me do 15 minutes on stairmaster (33 flights) then 10 minutes bike followed by 10 minutes on rower - OOF
Old 05-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #35

Always enjoy reading everyone’s personal take on exercise. Have seen many people use trainers. You can tell by their routines. Some trainers are great at personalized plans and some have one size fits all. Never have used one myself as I have read significant materials and changed my plan as I’ve aged. I will say that some weight or resistance training should be part of the plan. I can guarantee that if kettle balls are part of your plan then be prepared for injury at some point. Otherwise everything in moderation in regards to food and exercise
Old 05-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
I can guarantee that if kettle balls are part of your plan then be prepared for injury at some point.
i've used kettlebells for 10 years; never been injured as a result

I have two 40 pounders and a 70 pounder for presses/lunges/squats/swings and I do situps with a 15 pounder
Old 05-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
When I had a trainer she had a gym she used. I did not need a membership in her gym to train there with her.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
When I had a trainer she had a gym she used. I did not need a membership in her gym to train there with her.
that's the way most of those places work