hit FI then long RE?

I will also add we had discussed helping the parents out and if DH works we are going to be buying them houses both sets so I guess that's another thing. He has hemmed and hawed about working because I think he wants to do that buy and set up the parents more comfortable. Not that either set needs it, they both have pensions and free medical for life. But he wants them to be extra comfy. So any extra we've been discussing now buying homes where they are that they can downsize and keep it in their portfolios and live free on our dime. So we are not FI if we want to support the parents. But working to 2034? Yes we'd have a ridiculous number and can support the parents along the way.

I can understand this. One reason I kept working after "technical FI" :) was to be available to help my mother. She was fine - survivors pension and SS spousal benefits from my Dad, paid off home, some savings and investments - but I wanted (and the rest of my siblings felt the same) to be available in case she needed anything. Her passing became another emotional factor to point me towards RE.

Got the number and we are solid but not retiring. FIRE number hit box checked but DH isn't ready. I like to think I might be able to convince him 2030. I think we need to see how the years for our kids and parents play out and he may decide to call it a day. 2030 seems so long away.

Back
Top Bottom