Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I disagree. While it isn't outrageous for a homeowner to inquire whether any board members are related to vendors the HOA uses and that there are not any conflicts of interest or any conflicts are fully disclosed.... it is outrageous for a homeowner to demand that the Board sign a statement to that effect... the homeowner had no right to make such a demand.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I'm so glad I don't have a HOA

I am also glad my neighbors are not some of the respondents on this thread! Proof why deed restrictions are a necessity.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie76 View Post
I will add in another.

When the management company attempts to enforce a rule that is counter to local LAW or proper procedures.

EXAMPLE: We have the usual rules about yard signs. Most are prohibited and political one not allowed. Texas has a statute the EXPRESSLY allows political sign of a certain size and number 90 dos out from an election. This overrides any little deed restriction and even local ords. I had the management company get all worked up over my LEGAL political signs and even continued to harass and threaten me .....

I never understood the obsession some folks have with sticking a political sign on their lawn. In some areas it gets to be quite a blight of political sign pollution. Do you actually think someone will drive by and see your sign and think "gee I really hadn't made my mind up on who I will vote for, but that sign has just convinced me to vote for blah blah (fill in the shmucks name)?

You really display your political sign out of vanity. To claim "my choice is superior". "You should vote like me." No one really cares about the sign. Get over it and make lawn mowing easier. Ditch the sign obsession.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

If they want to support the candidate of their choice and it is allowed by state law which is written to override HOA law then by all means, post up the sign.

Be proud to be a part of the political process in a country that has at best a 50% turnout.

Be proud of your sign and send a copy of the state law to the HOA!

Eat 'em & smile -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:41 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
I never understood the obsession some folks have with sticking a political sign on their lawn. In some areas it gets to be quite a blight of political sign pollution. Do you actually think someone will drive by and see your sign and think "gee I really hadn't made my mind up on who I will vote for, but that sign has just convinced me to vote for blah blah (fill in the shmucks name)?

You really display your political sign out of vanity. To claim "my choice is superior". "You should vote like me." No one really cares about the sign. Get over it and make lawn mowing easier. Ditch the sign obsession.

I really don't want to jihack the thread but just a response.
There are a lot of studies that show that for "DOWN BALLOT" candidates yard signs do work. Folks go into the booth and after voting for Gov or Senator they hit the lesser known guys. It is natural that many folks simply click a name thatchy may have seen in yards of neighbors and friends.
The yard signs in my yard are worth several dozen votes in my hood alone since many of my peeps know that I am all involved and engaged, they tend to see my signs as well researched endorsements and vote that way.

You may not like it but it works and it only is an eyesore for a few months every few years. When the hell did this country become so busybody with everybody all worked up over what other do and what they are " offended" or put out by ?
aggie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:53 AM   #46

Re political sign - aggie the benefit while there, is probably less specific than you think. It's name-recognition bias pure and simple. Not so much "if so and so has a sign they must be good" more "i know that name". That's why grandkids get elected in landslides when share the name of elder politicians.

Signage, however, isn't just a few months every few years if it's permitted. If you can support your candidate now, I can support every local and state election, and I can also put up a "save the whales" or other sign supporting any cause any time (including really terrible ones). We have a neighbor who wants to put a sign out front threatening to set her dogs loose on anyone who leaves other dog poop in her yard.

Let one sign in, you let them all in, all the time.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #47
Administrator

It is a thread hijack. How about let's stay on topic, which is hellish HOA's and how they impact humanity.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #48

I've lived in a few homes with HOAs and never really had much of a problem, but I never liked the idea of spending so much money every month to maintain a large common area. The house we live in now is not part of an HOA, and aside from spending about $55/month for lawn care, and occasionally repainting the house every 8 years or so, we don't have much in the way of maintenance expenses that an HOA fee would normally cover.

My family has lived in condos in Florida for many years though, and I hear terrible stories about their experiences. I think Florida condos are notorious for having very difficult HOA boards. Maybe it's because Florida has so many retired people with a lot of time on their hands.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

The last place we lived that had an HOA drove us batty. We quit going to meetings and the problems lessened. Then we quit paying attention to the one neighbor who seemed to be the biggest PIA. Problem solved. Wasn't the HOA just a real work of art.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:35 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie76 View Post
When the hell did this country become so busybody with everybody all worked up over what other do and what they are " offended" or put out by ?

It started that way when the first Puritans stepped foot on Plymouth rock. It's our Heritage. You don't want things kept in check and orderly, you probably want to head south to Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

An interesting article of a recent HOA vs. homeowner fight. Legal fees approaching $1M overall. Yikes! And I don't want to pick sides, but I like his landscaping....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-1-m...ts-11553006590

Quote:
After he installed a decorative, shin-high wall around a plant bed on the side of his house, saying it would enhance the curb appeal, the HOA ordered him to remove it because it hadn’t been approved by an architectural review committee. Mr. Hildenbrand said he actually had the needed approval.

Seven years after he moved in, the HOA and Mr. Hildenbrand are still fighting over the decorative wall in court, with no end in sight. The dispute has consumed nearly $1 million in legal fees—the most expensive active HOA case of this type in the country, according to experts keeping track of such things.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
An interesting article of a recent HOA vs. homeowner fight. Legal fees approaching $1M overall. Yikes! And I don't want to pick sides, but I like his landscaping....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-1-m...ts-11553006590
damn, it's like waking up to weighing 5 bills....how did it get that far?
Old 03-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #53
Gone but not forgotten

Maybe this doesn't qualify... on the "from Hell" part... But...

Our HOA is great because the board members live in the Villas, just as we do... Together 89 units. We bought in 2004 and the HOA Dues were $125/mo... In 2014, with apologies, the board increased the dues to $150/mo or $1800 year.

Here's what we get... no exaggerations...

Free meal at the annual meeting in the best restaurant in the area, and an outdoor catered summer HOA party cookout in a local park.

Lawn, tree, shrub care. this past summer , many times when lawns were cut twice a week.
Snow removal... always starts at 7:30 AM, and if it continues to snow, the crews will work all day if necessary.

Exterior house trim. The original builder used wood that didn't keep paint... the HOA took care of that by putting aluminum overlays over the doorways and garage entrances. Now, zero exterior care.

And... the main streets of our Liberty Village complex is lit by garage and post lamps. Board members, as part of their responsibility (no salary) replace any light that goes out.

We really like where we live.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
damn, it's like waking up to weighing 5 bills....how did it get that far?
Clearly, both sides are dug in over principle. In an extreme way.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote