Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Holding your tongue those last few days
Old 08-20-2005, 01:45 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Michael,

When you woke up this morning and realized this was the first full day of your retirement, did you break out in a big grin and say to yourself, "I never have to work again...never again!" I sure did.

REW
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

As I said, it still seems a bit unreal. Intellectually I know work is over, but I haven't internalized it yet. After all, today is Saturday, a non-work day just like all the other Saturdays. Let me get a few Monday-Fridays behind me and it will probably start to sink in (it better!).

I've also got to get out of the "work as an excuse" mode. You know: "the weekends are too darn short, or I've got to get cleaned up to go to bed to get up early, so I'll just not even try to get started on a project as there isn't enough time to justify it" stuff. It is pretty annoying because a lot of those projects I've ended up avoiding have been hobby projects that I'd actually like to do.

I'm hoping that after a couple of weeks of being able to sleep until I'm ready to wake up, along with some more regular exercise, I'll find that I have more energy and enthusiasm for the things in general.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:41 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Michael
I've also got to get out of the "work as an excuse" mode. You know: "the weekends are too darn short, or I've got to get cleaned up to go to bed to get up early, so I'll just not even try to get started on a project as there isn't enough time to justify it" stuff. It is pretty annoying because a lot of those projects I've ended up avoiding have been hobby projects that I'd actually like to do.

I'm hoping that after a couple of weeks of being able to sleep until I'm ready to wake up, along with some more regular exercise, I'll find that I have more energy and enthusiasm for the things in general.
If your experience is similar to mine, you are going to find out what hobby projects are really important to you and which you just thought were important. As the "I don't have to start (do, finish,...) this today, there is always tomorrow" mode kicks in, your true priorities will emerge.

So far (~3 months), I'm discovering low priorities on lots of projects.

REW
Old 08-20-2005, 02:55 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I've already made plans to get out from under about 16 project bikes. 10 are already spoken for, another three are being considered by a guy I know, and that leaves only three to be advertised. I think I can stand to have only 8-10.

But I've basically been a virtual motorcyclist the last couple of years - things came apart, didn't go back together, and I haven't ridden. I'm shooting for starting the season next year with at least a couple of the retained bikes ready to race.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

NORDS SAID: You would think that it'd be hard to be distracted by these temper tantrums & pontificates when you have the rest of your life awaiting your planning.* Get started-- you only have three days left to get it done on company time & resources!!

REPLY:It's sort of like the remorse you feel over not having jumped the bones of all those nubile wenches that crossed your path "in the day." *Company time and resources offered so many openings. *But, alas. * The same inhibitions that kept me from jumping all of those bones halted the impulse to screw my partners.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Other Mike..

As another CSRS who early-outed I thought long and hard about my exit.* The advantage you have is that there is almost nothing you can do that would blow up your retirement road.* It is possible to leave and take a parting shot at making life better for those who come behind you, I did.* The what and how depends on your agency circumstances.*

As many in private industry can vouch, it can be worse.

Hold your own retirement celebration for those who care.* Focus on your life, and the lives of those you love, going forward.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:33 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf
The same inhibitions that kept me from jumping all of those bones halted the impulse to screw my partners.
I think we have to count that as TWO missed opportunities!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote

« nm | Kaderli CD »